Thread: The Other Rabbit Stick

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default The Other Rabbit Stick

The bump on the thread we did about rabbit sticks got me to contemplating and I thought about the big rendezvous they hole out west called the Rabbit Stick Rondy.

It has been going on for 30 years and I remember reading about it when I was much younger and wishing I could go.

Time and finances now allow such nonsense and I decided to check into the trip in closer detail.

Problem is that it is in the middle of nowhere, up in Idaho. One of those places where you can not get there from here. I could drive for a week, arrive worn out and then set up camp and about the time I got rested up have to start for home. I might fly, making several connections between Louisville and Boisie but I have not checked to see if Boisie has a real airport or if I would need to fly in strapped under a snow goose. I would than have to rent a car and probably drive to Montana or Nevada before reaching the other side of Idaho. You have to leave the state to get from southern Idaho to northern Idaho. I figure that travel to the event would cost me better than $1,000.

After working through all this I called up the website to register for next year's event. What do I find?

First, the event fee is $400.

Second, The event is scheduled for September, 2018, and registration is already closed! No more applications taken.

I think I will change plans and schedule a week long cruise down in the Gulf. It will be cheaper, I will eat better, and I can visit the Mayan ruins.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I've wanted to go but the drive. I did attend a hoods woods event one year. To bad they are full up, I would be tempted.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I have always heard the Rabbit Stick was a invitation only event.
    Is the a thread nazi event?....I had heard that it was.

Have only attended our local in town event the last couple of years.

Used to drive 10 hours, set up in the dark, built the fire, ...consume some medicine.....get up with a headache, cook, go to the range, ...enter several events.
    Walk around, doing business buying and selling....and that was just the first say......Not so much these days.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Start you own people will come

Dang. That's like a field of dreams thing. That made my head hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Start you own people will come
    I would not any more......Most have no idea what goes into these events...

I have seen a lot of events dissolve into chaos after a few years of "just a small event for friends...".

Was invited to attend an event in my hometown....called Pinery Road Days...put on by local groups backed by the Historical Society.....

Good friend of mine form HS was the head of the society ....so I got to see a lot of old friend seeing what we were doing for fun.....Rendezvous.....and primitive camping and such.

Was fun for couple of years....but was a free event....camping, wood water, hooters......good "free weekend.
    There was no organization road, camp locations, registration nothing.

Got too big and disbanded in a few years....

Events come and go for all sorts of reasons.....but there is a lot more to it than just inviting friends over,....then with friend, and friends.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Oh yes!

We just disbanded a fantastic event that had run for 15 years due to aging of the organizers and support crew. That was a big event with 200 camps, 500 people every year.

I have organized many events over the years and it is a solid year of work in many cases. Find a place, find a supplier for wood, water, hooters. Hooters alone cost $100 per day in my area and it requires two or three for a gathering of 25-30 people.

I will stick with going to the regional events put on my the NMLRA historical foundation and let them do the work.

The big primitive events are not the same as a call for a gathering at a campsite or state park like our jamborees. They can not be done that way and exhibit/demonstrate all the skills and activities. The park rangers would have a cow!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I got to slingshot shoots and traditional bow shoots it atlatl some times it's only about 20 people but I away have a good time