Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are You Reading These Days

Starting up on a Short History of World War 1 by James L Stokesb

The Heart of Everything That Is: The Untold Story of Red Cloud, An American Legend by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin

Blood and Thunder: The Epic Story of Kit Carson and the Conquest of the American West by Hampton Sides
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Been crazy busy. Wife's been sick lots of Drs appointments. We're short handed at work AGAIN! Working 12-14 hour days not much time for a life LOL
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Well good to see you back. I hope the wife is better soon!

Thanks Rick she's getting better daily. It's just been slow going
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Thanks Rick she's getting better daily. It's just been slow going
    Hang in there......we are all pulling for you.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hang in their OS. Hope your wife gets better soon.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I am reading a series on the French and Indian War, by S Thomas Bailey. This is a seven volume series. It is called " The Gauntlet Runner " series. I like it for two reasons: first of all most of the first five volumes are set in western Penna, where I grew up and second because I am an advocate of the idea that the frontier experience is what defined this countries character. I read every book I can find on the frontier experience.
    Geezer Squad #2

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor View Post
    I am reading a series on the French and Indian War, by S Thomas Bailey. This is a seven volume series. It is called " The Gauntlet Runner " series. I like it for two reasons: first of all most of the first five volumes are set in western Penna, where I grew up and second because I am an advocate of the idea that the frontier experience is what defined this countries character. I read every book I can find on the frontier experience.
    Hadn't heard of this...will,have to look it up...Thanks
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

This is a website I use when looking for rare or obscure reading material. I don't know anything more about them than that I have found some books that I could not find elsewhere.

https://archive.org/details/biodiversity

Alan

When I was a kid, I darn near memorized the book below. It was my dad's and had been given to him by his parents in the late 30s. When I left home for college (the first time), that book, like a lot of other things got put into storage. There it remained until I found it. It was (is) in very poor condition and any reading or turning of the pages would result in it being lost forever. I found it on the website I posted the link to previously and have enjoyed the reading. I can readily see now how the writing of Mr. Seton shaped me into the man I became and am still becoming today.

Alan

https://archive.org/details/bookofwoodcraft00seto

Aye, I used the Internet Archive to "digitize" most of my library before I moved. The Gutenberg Projects helped, too. They also host a lot of old films and other media.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Just finished "Those who wish me dead" by Michael Koryta --a gripping thriller that takes place in the wilderness of Montana. Very plot driven, hard to put down and informative in the process. It will really be worth your time. (I love this author, have read most of his books but this one is surprisingly unique.)

If you are a scout leader, wilderness instructor or an older scout (14+) it will be especially meaningful.

When you read the summery, watch for spoiler alerts.
    https://www.amazon.com/Those-Who-Wis...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Quote Originally Posted by tundrabadger View Post
    I picked up a copy of The Nordic Cookbook by Magnus Nillson recently. It's really enormous, and makes for fascinating reading, even some of the recipes would be difficult, impossible or in one or two cases illegal to execute in Canada. It covers traditional recipes from all over northern Europe. Highly recommended. Also I kind of want to Magnus Nillson when I grow up except that I'm slightly older than him and I'm a library technician not a chef so it's probably not happening. But he wrote a cookbook that makes for really great reading.
    I'm adding that to my list!

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Another series I highly recommend are the frontier books by Allen Eckert. These books are foot noted, for those of use that like to dig deeper into sources. Unfortunatly, his Frontier series was not published chronologically, so if you want to read them that way, you need to figure out the historical period each
    in novel represents. For example, his first published work was The Frontiersman. Story of Simon Kenton. But chronologically, the earliest historical period
    is covered by Wilderness Empire. These books are now available in paperback.
    Geezer Squad #2

Banned

Currently, I read the book*************** by business consultant Annie Duke. In this book, the author cites examples from business, sports, politics, and poker (Annie is an ex-world poker champion), showing what tools you can use to accept uncertainty and choose the most correct decisions. In some sense, tips from the book ************** to me and they give an understanding of certain things in this topic.
    Last edited by Rick; 11-20-2018 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Removed Link to Spam

Nice try spammer boy. I had a feeling about you. I knew you were going to be a spammer. The spammer hair on the back of my neck stood up when I read your intro. You even tried to bury a link in your post. HA! I laugh at your meager attempt. You lasted all of 9 minutes. Go back under your Ukraine rock.

Rick is still on the job.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I was all like bad spammer!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I have been reading Lights Out by Ted Koppel. Also Aftershock by David Wiedemer, and Patriots by James Wesley, Rawles. I have many others but these are the ones I am reading now.