Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Painful Screwed Up

Rick, it only hurts for a second, really less time than it takes to utter a scream.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Rick, it only hurts for a second, really less time than it takes to utter a scream.
    Takes a minute or so to catch you breath... to do a scream....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I cannot imagine a world so imperfect that I could contemplate splashing alcohol on an open wound. I have to envision this balance scale in front of me with NEED on one side being very light and SCREAMING LIKE A LUNATIC on the other outweighing the sun on the other. For those that don't quite get the visual..... [/img]
    Sometimes you just have to play with the hand you dealt yourself. I would have loved to have some sort of antibiotic ointment. Maybe some gold bond. Sometimes in life, you dig a ditch for yourself and have to lay in it. I had to. I will never make that mistake again. Trust me. Apparently that nerve column is shared with another part down there. I could feel it radiate....

You guys have more guts than me. I always watched the movies of those guys in WWI in which the Lt. blew the whistle and yelled, "Let's go!" and the guys climbed out of the trench and all ran forward into the withering machine gun fire. I would have been the guy that said, "Wait a minute. What's plan B?"

I too will never let the prospect of a big fish guide my actions. Now I carry steel shanked wading shoes with me on the off chance I EVER get out of the boat again. I used up a lot of luck on that oyster shell thing. A friend of mine was doing that one day and fell. He was majorly effed up and most of his cuts got infected but fortunately it wasn't the flesh eating kind of bacterial infection.

You live, you learn, or you die.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Adventure Wolf View Post
    It's been awhile guys, but I have a story. Recently it snowed big here in Tennessee and North Carolina. I was out in one of my family's cabins. Two days before the snow storm, I was outside in the woods. I was wearing to many layers and sweating. On top of that, the pants that I was wearing rubbed the inside of my thighs raw. i bathed that night, then went to bed.

The next day, I was out in the woods. I spent about 12 hours in the woods doing this and that. I did not bathe. Snow began to fall, and I was going to stick it out in the cabin.

Day of the snow, I pulled my pants down and the first thing I noticed was a smell that was like walking across a dead animal in the woods. The rash was bright red, I could see where it was infected. The snow was at least two inches and I had a front wheel drive car in the mountains. There was no way I could have gone to town or the doctor in the bigger town further away. I took a bath.

I looked through the bathroom and all I could find was a bottle of rubbing alcohol. I sat down in the bath tub and applied this rubbing alcohol to the infected part of my thighs from where my thighs met my pelvis to my knees with a washcloth. The burning was unimaginable. I had to stop multiple times to lay back and grimace so hard my face hurt. I can still feel that burn thinking about it.

The rash cleared up well enough by the time the snow did that I didn't have to see the doctor.

Edit: Moral of the Story - Bathe everyday
    I can testify to the need to wash all of your major crevices using actual soap. (virtual cookie to the one who identifies the source of that)

This applies especially to those carrying a bit of extra load. Recently I skipped showering for two days. I overslept on a Friday morning, so I didn't have time. I didn't Saturday morning because I was about go out and get all sweaty anyway, so I figgered I'd just clean up when all was said and done. Certain overlapped areas were pretty bad. Not dead animal smell, but pretty rank. Bacteria like dark, dank places, and they were obviously having a party.

I apologize if this is TMI, but I don't think so for this crowd. Pretty lame, actually, based on some other posts I've read.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Actually pretty pertinent as well all find ourselves needing the one thing you didn't bring....so using what you have....or can forage becomes more important

My FAK's has a tube of Neosporin....and well and a couple of individual packs..... (wish I could find more without buy bulk for $50 bucks.)
    Anyway....seem to help with most anything scraped, cut, or itchy....

Also have iodine, for the same reason, as well as possible disinfect.

Any suggestions are alway a good thing.

I like triple antibiotic ointment.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I was getting into shape about 10 years ago and decided I would do my after work run on the beach. My plan was to run from Pompano pear to the jetty at the Hillsboro Inlet. I left my shoes and socks in the truck and ran on the hot sand.

My feet were hot and burned. But, I just figured it was due to the hot sand. About 3/4 of the way to the jetty and my feet were really burning. So, I stopped and looked. The skin on the balls of both feet had slewed off and was just hanging.

I now had no skin on my feet and I was a long way from the truck. I was just thinking how could I not catch an infection walking back with open wounds on most of the bottom of my feet. I decided to walk to the street and take the sidewalk back. That walk sucked.

I cut the skin off and dealt with it for awhile. When it healed I went back and alternated running and then walking in the water. In no time at all I could run that whole stretch back and forth without any problem.

I know ocean water is bad for infections.
    DW and I were in Puerto Vallarta on vacation.

We wanted to go into ocean....but maybe wasn't a good idea...everyone else was in the hotel pools.

Right along the shore where the waves ended was a lot of pea gravel...that acted like quick sand....DW got stuck....
    Told her to quit screwing around and come out.....she was stuck...and NOT Happy.

Got her to kind of roll on her side...and pulled her loose.....

She scratched her side and back....and was stinging.
    Rubbed her down with her loton.
    Next morning was all red and infected

Went looking for help...
    Hotel, forgot how to speak english....so no help or joy....wanted to call a DR...I bet he did everyone is on the take there.

Next morning we headed into town to a drug store....every was labeled in Spanish believe it or not.

Anyway we found a young lady that could speak english...she found Neosporin (in spanish)....so we used that.
    Really helped....
    Have carried Neosporin ever since....

Nasty business....
    Last edited by hunter63; 02-02-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Yeah, growing up we always heard to go to the healing waters of the ocean to heal your wounds. LOL

As a grown up (kinda) we know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I was getting into shape about 10 years ago and decided I would do my after work run on the beach. My plan was to run from Pompano pear to the jetty at the Hillsboro Inlet. I left my shoes and socks in the truck and ran on the hot sand.

My feet were hot and burned. But, I just figured it was due to the hot sand. About 3/4 of the way to the jetty and my feet were really burning. So, I stopped and looked. The skin on the balls of both feet had slewed off and was just hanging.

I now had no skin on my feet and I was a long way from the truck. I was just thinking how could I not catch an infection walking back with open wounds on most of the bottom of my feet. I decided to walk to the street and take the sidewalk back. That walk sucked.

I cut the skin off and dealt with it for awhile. When it healed I went back and alternated running and then walking in the water. In no time at all I could run that whole stretch back and forth without any problem.
    Wow. That sounds painful.

Fish poop and pee in the ocean. 'Nuff said.

That's not all they do in there!

Alan

I think for y'all to see how useful honey is we need to use a test dummy . So we take Rick down to Fl. Slather on some honey sit him on an anthill and see what happens.

If your aunt is willing so am I!