Thread: that really sux

Default that really sux

Yesterday we had a service call about a hour north of the mackinac bridge. The bridge is 5 miles long and connects the lower peninsula and upper peninsula.We are located in the lower peninsula. Anyhoo my guy was coming back and the bridge authority closed the bridge down due to falling ice. This was about noon yesterday. Just now I got the call the bridge was opened back up. My guy slept in the van all night. I told him we would get him a room but I think he waited too long and by the time he checked on them they were going for 400 bucks. I still would have paid for it but he didn't want to see the extra expense. I got stuck up there a few years ago on news years eve. I got a room for about a hundred bucks and then left in the morning, could have left at 200 am but didn't know. dang
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

400 bucks is a lot for one night!
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    400 bucks is a lot for one night!
    Price gouging when you have a captive audience......
    Sometimes good people get greedy at you expense.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Must have been the Waldorf Astoria of U.P.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Aye, I used to stay preferentially in state parks and national recreational area and that was one reason. That's why I used to own vans.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I think he was exaggerating the room cost, he just didn't want me to spend the money, I don't know though.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

He doesn't have a "cousin" that lives up there does he? I worked with a guy that had a "cousin" that lived in every town we were ever in. Took me a while to catch on. That guy was a real rounder. He must have been an ex-sailor and thought every town was a port.

Hey.............wait a second.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Present company excluded.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I am not so sure that he is exaggerating the room costs! I travel from my home in the western UP via the Big Mac bridge to my sisters NW Pa, several times a year. More than once I have stopped for the night, one side of the bridge or the other. Especially on holiday weekends they really jack up room prices. More than once , when I was younger, I would push on through the dark and snowy weather rather than pay prices like that.
    Geezer Squad #2

I'm not sure on the room cost either but one new years eve I got stuck in St. Ignace. The room cost me about a hundred dollars.

Supply and demand. Still sucks, though.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

No different than a lot of places. We were traveling home from North Carolina once and were getting tired, so time to stop and get a room for the night. We saw a Days Inn with a vacancy sign. We stopped. Room was $375 (IIRC). I looked at the young lady and said "For a Days Inn?" She said it's October and the fall colors are in full view. She didn't see the humor when I said - "It's dark out, and we promise to leave before first light. If we're running late we won't look at any leaves - I promise."

Needless to say, we kept driving. Stopped at another Days Inn about 45 minutes down the road. $39.95 for the night. I guess their leaves weren't changing yet.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We have a whole 'nother cost added on... Max the dog. Some places won't even take us in. If they won't take Max, we don't need them.

We travel with dogs....and have had good luck most everyplace we stopped...

Some are used to it.....posted on the office desk.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I used to host a camp out on Sand Mountain in Alabama. One such time, my brother went into a grocery store in Guntersville and started to use their restroom but found it covered in gore. When he looked at the lady behind the checkout counter and said, Ma'am, it looks like someone butchered a deer in your restroom," she stared back and said, "So?"

All you travelers take note: cultures change from place to place, sometimes drastically, often entertainingly.

True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Was he sure it was a deer? Maybe it was the lady's husband. You never know.

During Derby time in Louisville, prices are terrible all around here. I've heard that the hotels make their budget for the year during the Derby. My late wife used to sleep in our van on our sales trips. It had seats that layed back and was very comfortable. It would be only for a couple hours at a time, but allowed us to make better time.

Bill
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

You have a point, Rick, it was just juices. All the solid stuff was probably in the meat market.