Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hand drill: Start to ember

So Anthony....do you think that the "back and forth" motion has anything to do with it?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Some woods are almost impossible to use. Most pines and hardwoods won't work. If you buy cedar for the board and spindle and dry it over night on a hot plate you will have an ember easily if your notch and form are anywhere close to reasonable.
    If you wish to create an ember without the hotplate or other methods to dry it then you will need to dry the board and spindle with friction from the bow with light pressure which is a slower process and the length of time that will take depends on how much moisture the wood has in it and how many tricks you have up your sleeve. Sometimes it still won't work. It is best to dry your equipment ahead of time and protect it from moisture in the air such as a zip lock bag or oiled leather wrap. If you dry your equipment by the fire each night protect it and become proficient you will have an ember every night in seconds.
    There are lots of little tricks and things you should know or learn but very dry and the right wood are where you should start.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So Anthony....do you think that the "back and forth" motion has anything to do with it?
    hahah its not the size of the boat... its the motion of the ocean.. lol
    I dont really know how to answer that... maybe it does, but physically cant really do it another way I suppose.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    Some woods are almost impossible to use. Most pines and hardwoods won't work. If you buy cedar for the board and spindle and dry it over night on a hot plate you will have an ember easily if your notch and form are anywhere close to reasonable.
    If you wish to create an ember without the hotplate or other methods to dry it then you will need to dry the board and spindle with friction from the bow with light pressure which is a slower process and the length of time that will take depends on how much moisture the wood has in it and how many tricks you have up your sleeve. Sometimes it still won't work. It is best to dry your equipment ahead of time and protect it from moisture in the air such as a zip lock bag or oiled leather wrap. If you dry your equipment by the fire each night protect it and become proficient you will have an ember every night in seconds.
    There are lots of little tricks and things you should know or learn but very dry and the right wood are where you should start.
    correct, good tips for starting out. Set up yourself as best as possible for success when u 1st learning.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

I have gotten an ember with a power drill. Like H63, when I first tried it I glazed the wood. I slowed the speed down a bit on the next attempt and it worked. I was using cedar for a spindle and hearth board.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I have gotten an ember with a power drill. Like H63, when I first tried it I glazed the wood. I slowed the speed down a bit on the next attempt and it worked. I was using cedar for a spindle and hearth board.
    So you saying that "If a little does a little good a lot will do a lot of good.......But not always?......LOL
    Slower is better....

I have actually gotten embers form a dull worn out bit in steel dropping on sawdust on my work bench....although i thn it may have just been hot drilling.

Maybe I have to try it again.....I can take the failure....Yeah...That's the ticket....LOL .

You should see the embers I have gotten when I start grinding steel after working on wood or micarta and forgetting to clean out the grinder.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

now if you can just find power drills on trees... hahah

Current bush......

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Current bush......
    indeed hahah... if you have it close and handy use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    indeed hahah... if you have it close and handy use it.
    Actually have a funny story....1988
    Hunting and camping out of pop-up camper on a ranch in Wyoming, ...along Old Woman Creek...(dry most of the year)

One guy brings his hair dryer....washes his hair, plugs into the 110 outlet in the trailer...and couldn't figure out why it didn't work.

We had lights and furnace (12 volt of a battery).....so it was what the heck????
    He knew that there was an inverter....soooo...(only takes 110 v and makes 12v) so you need the 110 to start with.

The "current bush" jokes are still brought up to this day....
    Last edited by hunter63; 02-02-2018 at 12:28 PM.

It is a comfort to know that if matches, lighters, fire steel, etc get lost, I still have a good chance of making a fire by friction. Years ago I took a survival course and the instructor showed his tricks of right woods, holding wrist tight to shin with bow drill,etc. Hand drill down assist with cordage pull down on one thumb. Etc. With bad, we'd, damp weather it gets more difficult, but might be done. Having fire is nice.
    Bob