Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm weak

Default I'm weak

I stopped by the local gun shop the other day. Anyhoo they had a little used 28 gauge stoeger double for a little under 300 dollars. It took about two days for me to convince myself that I needed that shotgun. I am now a owner of little 28 gauge stoeger.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

We understand.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Similar has happened to me a time or two,

in the past week!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Congrats....
    Sounds like a "What the heck ts that/"......at the range gun

I have a problem with stuff like that as well...........Must resist, must resist
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Do not think of it as a weakness. Think of it as being a man with a brilliant insight providing a home to a piece of human history. That's what I tell myself anyway. Works fine for me.

28 gauge does have a history too.

It was one of the standard sizes of the smoothbore the Hudson Bay Company settled on to provided to the Indians during the fur trade. Smallest size the Indians trusted for shooting buffalo close in on horseback.

It was also the size bore Bannerman got when they reamed the worn out rifling out of the surplus CW muskets and sold them all over the world, especially to folks going out west.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I am with you brother! I try to carry $300 tucked away in my wallet for opportunities like that (as you may have surmised, I am not married !). I try to restrict those kind of purchases to $300. Any more than that and I have to think it over for a few days. About 30% of the time I will go back and buy whatever it is anyway. Still, I have lost some great deals by hesitating to "think it over". I personally do not care for a 28 ga but if it was a 16 or 20 ga, I would probably buy it. Where I really must be careful is at gun shows. Always seem to find some thing I didn't know that I REALLY needed BAD.
    Geezer Squad #2

Back when I was first starting my H&R/NEF Handi Rifle project.......
    I added a 28 ga barrel in my first group of barrels,.....because I have never seen one....and all shotgun barrels were $35 bucks each....
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-25-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Everyone needs a box of 28 gauge laying around.

It is the exact correct size to make a 1/2" water pipe slam gun. Much less kick than a 12 gauge for that use.

All legal size requirements and such being met of course.

I have a husqvarna model 20 I recently picked up, it's in a 2.5 inch 16 ga. Exposed hammers, full choke, 35 inch barrels. I scrounged up all my 16 ga brass but alas it was shot in a chamber slightly bigger than the husqvarna. A full length die for a 16 ga is hard to come by. That darn 28 gauge took my funds I had set side for some 16 ga ammo. I'll be back on track soon though. I'm not sure what to think of a 28 gauge. Many times I carry a 410 on my woods walks but my thinking is a 28 would be a bit better.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

28 is better. Better patterns and slightly more shot.

Randy do you have one of the Lee Load-all shotshell reloaders in 12 gauge?

I got a 16 gauge resizing ring as boot in a deal a while back. It will work on the resizing station of the 12 gauge press.

It might even work used in a vise with a section of 3/4" pipe to press it over the shell, maybe even a mallet to hammer it down, then pop it out with a dowel.

I am not sure if a 12 gauge die will crimp a 16, but it is worth a try.

I have a shotgun loading press that had belonged to my father, not sure what it is but I will check. I have a few of those old roll crimp tools that clamp to a table. I thought there was a 16 ga die similar to the ideal hammer dies around in my stuff but I'll be darned if I can find it especially now that I need it.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Randyt, I think you may have opened a new possibility for a woods walking long gun. I never considered a 28 ga before now. I just checked Midway Ammo and they do offer two, steel one ounce 28 ga shotgun slugs. Since I do have a 28ga double, I might have to do some experimenting. Or I have a 20 ga double with an 18 "bbl. Humm, interesting possibilites!
    Geezer Squad #2

I wrote the book on reasons to get a new gun lol. The 28 I picked up has 26 inch barrels. I don't really hunt per say, I just roam around. I have a few doubles but other than the recent 16 and 28 they are all 12 ga. Not opposed to a 12 ga but I like being odd man out, it's a family curse.

That's what I like about this place. I have never heard of or seen a 28 gauge. A bit of rambling around on the net and viola! I'm a netxpert. Well, now I know what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor View Post
    Randyt, I think you may have opened a new possibility for a woods walking long gun. I never considered a 28 ga before now. I just checked Midway Ammo and they do offer two, steel one ounce 28 ga shotgun slugs. Since I do have a 28ga double, I might have to do some experimenting. Or I have a 20 ga double with an 18 "bbl. Humm, interesting possibilites!
    Steel slugs?......Hummmm

My link to Midway offers two pages of every shot size and composition in 28 guage available to man!

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLo...rsApplied=True
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-26-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Steel slugs?......Hummmm
    Well let me be dipped in in doo doo.......who would thunk it....

Steel slugs....
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/33...-free-box-of-5

That is what the info on the two different offerings stated: I oz steel . Kind of hour glass shaped from what I could make out. I had to specifically inquire about 28 ga slugs. Just inquiring about 28 ga shotgun shells did not show slug loads.
    Geezer Squad #2

A small bore shotgun as a walking around gun makes a lot of sense.

I usually take my strolls through the local WMA and to meet the legal requirements for the state you have to carry either a rimfire rifle or a shotgun.

For the past 5-6 years my favorite gun for walkabouts there has been a 20 bore O/U built on a small frame.

28 might be even better since they are usually built on the .410 frame.