Thread: Wild hog #7

Tool & Die Maker

Default Wild hog #7

Had a 3 week dry spell hog hunting. The hogs just seem to disappear then just show up again. My Moultrie 880 camera told me the hogs were back but the exact time to feed is still up to the hogs. I spotted this 90 pounder coming through the jungle toward the bait pile. I spotted him through my Pulsar xq38 Thermal imaging scope. I didn't waist any time. When I had a fairly clear shot I let him have it with my 300 blackout. A neighbor heard the shooting and drove out to check. The neighbor told me the local veterans club donates wild hogs to the homeless and the poor. I told him as long as he was there he could have the hog I just shot. I'll get another one for a campground hog roast.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

A video to follow: https://youtu.be/9w2EtDqIAVI
    Last edited by jim Glass; 01-21-2018 at 10:19 PM.

Keep up the good work. I don't think that wild hogs can be hunted to extinction, but at least we can try.

Alan

Congrats....seems you are getting dialed in.
    Keep up the good work, I sure a lot of people will be thankful.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Tool & Die Maker

Ya, this area is over run with wild hogs. People are seeing them constantly and they are being struck by cars and trucks all the time.
    The local people are glad I'm out there hunting them. People live in fear the hogs will raid their yards at any time. I'm finding more and more people to take the hogs I have shot off my hands and put the meat to good use. I usually have a hog roast at the campground but there are to many hogs for that. Can't do a hog roast every week.

It's been fun following your hog hunting journey. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It really has. I've sure enjoyed it. I concur with Alan. We can't eat them to extinction but we can try. I think that's what he said.

Rick, your talking about bacon on the hoof....Jim is talking about a "Hambush"..........

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Only a buckskinner would know the difference between a bacon tree and a hambush!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Only a buckskinner would know the difference between a bacon tree and a hambush!
    Psssst...Now when ever Jim is in his blind....he gonna thinking...."Hambush"...

(Takes bow best Elvis voice...)...Thank you, Thank you.....Thanks you very much...

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The joke, for those of you who are not buckskinners/reenactors;

Back in the old days on the frontier there were peddlers who carried packs of goods such as sewing thread, needles, buttons and such and most of them were Jewish and spoke with heavy accents being recent immigrants from Europe. These men carried their packs on their back and traveled between the various scattered settlements and the arrival of the "pack peddler" was a joyful incident since it meant there would be news as well as needed small goods.

Two starving longhunters stumbled over one of these traveling pack peddlers at a river crossing and asked where the nearest settlement was located, since they were about starved.

The peddler pointed to the hill behind him and answered in his thick accent that the settlement was that direction but they had better not go that way because there was a bacon tree on the trail.

The starving hunters perked right up and headed toward the hill thinking all their problems were over if they could just get to that bacon tree.

They topped the hill and a few moments latter there was a good deal of shooting, screaming and yelling and soon the two hunters retreated from the top of the hill at a rapid rate, bloody, cut, bruised, shot up and a couple of arrows poking out at odd angles.

"Why did you not tell us there were Indians over there? We walked right into them, and there was no bacon tree anywhere!"

"Sorry gentlemen, I chose the wrong words." the peddler apologized in his thick accent, "It was not a bacon tree, it was a hambush!"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

There you have it........Hambush

Hey Jim if you take a piece of carpet about 20 inches wide and 20 inches long tack it to a tree and cover it with used motor oil you will kill some big hogs also a 5 gal buckets put some corn in it and two cups of sugar and some old beer put a lid on it set in the sun for a few days then take it to where you hunt take the lid off the big hogs will come too it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Hey Jim if you take a piece of carpet about 20 inches wide and 20 inches long tack it to a tree and cover it with used motor oil you will kill some big hogs also a 5 gal buckets put some corn in it and two cups of sugar and some old beer put a lid on it set in the sun for a few days then take it to where you hunt take the lid off the big hogs will come too it.
    Down here we do that except we add another ingredient. Strawberry koolaide. In addition to hogs I pour this concoction along my trotlines for catfish. I know it works because all the catfish I catch have corn in them.

Also, in hog country, any time the electric company sets out new poles the hogs rub them. The creosote, like the motor oil, kills the bugs that hogs get on them.

Alan

Tool & Die Maker

They call that stank bait here in the South. Yep, I've tried all of that. Used to brew it up in gallon milk jugs. I also rigged up a scratch pole and the hogs used it. Made a pig pipe out of 4" PVC with holes drilled into it, filled with corn, then chained to a stake. Idea is the hogs roll the pipe and corn comes out. The raccoons seemed to enjoy the pig pipe not the hogs. I'm currently trying out hog bait attractants. I have tried out 3 different ones and can't say they work or don't work. Also tried out some sow urine. First time I used it a small boar showed up in 20 minutes. The boar saw me before I could get the rifle up and ready.

Trail cameras are the hog hunters most valuable tool because they tell us what is eating the corn and at what time. But, just because the hogs are shown in the bait at 7:00 PM one night does not mean they will be there the next night at 7:00pm. Hogs are totally unpredictable. My experience has told me to go hunting often, sundown is best, but they appear at any time. Hunting long hours does not improve your odds that much. Hunting all night proves nothing. Not saying you won't see a hog, it just isn't worth it. Our RV is only 5 minutes away from my blind. Frequent hunts of about 3 hour duration seem to work best for me. Go hunting at 4:30 am and again at sundown to around 8:00 pm is the most productive

Here is the bottom line: If the hogs are in the area they will come to the corn, I think cracked corn works better than whole corn. The hog attractants will probably work if the hogs are in the area but I'm not convinced they work better than corn. When the hogs are scarce I bury the corn about 12" deep and that seems to smoke out a hog or two.

It has happened to me twice where I review the pics on my trail came. I see a sow with 6 or 8 piglets so I jump in the car to be at the tree stand at the same time the next day. One time I thought I was going to kill so many hogs I took my 300 Blackout and the 9mm AR. and saw absolutely no hogs. Hog 7 was the first hog I had seen in almost 3 weeks so that was pretty exciting.

Have a hog hunt planned tonight with a buddy. I already put down some whole kernel corn but tonight I'll put down cracked corn and some wild hog attractant. We shall see.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 01-23-2018 at 02:38 PM.