Thread: Fire piston and how to use it

Default Fire piston and how to use it

Here is a fire piston and how to use one pretty simple even though a lot of people don't know what they are

https://youtu.be/fF_YRjHeE2c

They are different...and seem to work OK..
    Bought one of these https://www.ebay.com/i/181904204859?chn=ps

Was reasonably priced...and works...
    Kinda big and bulky...and haven't used one in bad weather....
    Good to know.

Not at the top of my list of "Take with me fire starters
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Iíve got a couple different versions, they do have a cool factor but Ferro Rod is more compact I do prefer to carry Ferro rods
    Semper Paratus

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I bought a fire piston several years back. Never did manage to start a fire with it and sold it at a garage sale. Do not know what I was doing wrong, especially since I can start a fire in 30 seconds with flint and steel.
    Geezer Squad #2

I have one and can easily get an ember in char cloth. I carry fire steel, matches and multiple lighters and am proficient with bow drill etc. I wonder if anyone has worked out the optimal size for a wilderness carry fire piston and rod with length and diameter etc if I were to machine one?
    Bob

For me it's a skill I don't own yet; I can get a fire only 1 out of 5 times, and that's with char cloth. I have never gotten one with natural tinders, but I don't give up that easily. I plan to try again this summer and see if I can increase my success ratio.

Grandpa built and used one to light his cigarettes for awhile. I have one I picked up to mess with. Not really practical, but I like the science behind it.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

I find the fire piston to be very interesting. It works the same way as a diesel engine. Takes a batch of air and compresses it very quickly making enough heat to ignite the fine diesel spray or tinder. Ran across a youtube video on making one from copper stubout, wood dowel, and small knob from one of the big home improvement stores for very little cost. I hope to try making one if I can find the stubout. Or maybe I could just use plain copper pipe and a cap (solder on). I love making things and this should be a real fun project.

Quote Originally Posted by theJman View Post
    For me it's a skill I don't own yet; I can get a fire only 1 out of 5 times, and that's with char cloth. I have never gotten one with natural tinders, but I don't give up that easily. I plan to try again this summer and see if I can increase my success ratio.
    From what I have seen on youtube making sure you have a real good seal, some vaseline on the oring. It has to be hit hard and fast and you have to pull the piston out very quickly before the ember runs out of air.