Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hawaii Missle Threat

Wow where are all the Shelters gone in Hawaii?
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I am just Glad that it was seemingly an error the SMS about the attack, or possibly a drill..
    I just kind of feel that well what Eisenstein said is true in away; "I don't know what weapons world war III will be fought with, but world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones"
    I would really not like to live through a Nuke fight between Us and Korea.. It almost feels like it's basically down to whom ever presses their button or bigger button and its gona go all down hill from there.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

So I heard that the governor could not remember his twitter password to give the all clear? really for 30 minutes.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    So I heard that the governor could not remember his twitter password to give the all clear? really for 30 minutes.
    that is a bit awkward.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

What bothers me is that the state government is dependent on Twitter to get important information out to the unwashed masses.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post
    What bothers me is that the state government is dependent on Twitter to get important information out to the unwashed masses.
    That bothers me as well......
    We have the tornado sirens some of which have been around in one form or another sine the 1950's (not that same machine, but location and idea)

They are doing away with them in favor of the cell phone text and media alerts...weather, Amber, Silver, Green etc.

So those sirens used to mean "Danger, danger Will Robertson"....that people paid attention to ...now get muddied up...so doesn't get the attention that it once did.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Modern day siren. The thing is those sirens were dependent on telephone lines to provide a dry circuit to them. If you lost phone lines then you lost the circuit to the siren. I have no idea what the later generation sirens used but back in my day that's what was used. I guess they are reducing cost, exposure and attempting to reach more of the masses. To be honest, I could not hear the sirens. I can benefit from my cell phone but could not from the sirens. This is a HUGE improvement for me.

I think Oahu still has sirens in Honolulu (most densely populated area). IIRC they have been used for tsunami warnings. So, if there are multiple threats then it makes perfect sense to back it up with alerts to phones, radio and TV as to what the threat is. One problem is that while Oahu is densely populated in Honolulu, the rest of the island is not. The other islands have a few small pockets of dense population centers, but there is a whole lot of remote on most of the islands.

I am not so sure about the "Governor lost the password" explanation. If an alert was sent to phones by their alert system, then an all clear should have been able to be sent over the same system.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sounds like an ordeal, Papa G! I'm glad it worked out- this time. What are you thinking by now? Is this the kind of thing that makes you reconsider living in HI? Or will you just examine your preps in a new light?

my survival adice is this, 1st you must consider the great OPU
    not just yours but the whole ohana and neighbors as well
    cause it's hawaii after all.
    pick and freeze choke kine ti,leaves and young taro leaves.
    for laulau an all da kine.
    sticky rice fo musubi an li dat.
    long grain rice fo everything else.
    vineagar for pilipine an pordagee kine grinds
    SPAM and MO SPAM.
    pickeled radish,turnip
    nori sheets, choke
    wasabi paste
    umi plums
    powderd poi
    powerd coconout milk
    portagee sausage
    shoyu plenty
    sugar
    tokansu sauce
    panko breadding
    all yo auntie's and tutu whahini's recipies
    an yo mothers too.
    crack seed all kine, fo da keikis
    malasadas an mo pordagee kine grinds.
    saimin cases.
    an choke kine beer.
    i know i left a whole lot out but it's been a long time.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    What are you thinking by now? Is this the kind of thing that makes you reconsider living in HI? Or will you just examine your preps in a new light?
    No, my children are the fifth generation to call the islands home
    (and the house is paid for)
    so I'm not going anywhere.

I am rethinking my list though.

Out here we always live at a certain level of preparedness due to natural disaster potential
    but we're use to more of a distant warning which gives you a little time to hunker down;
    NOAA for hurricanes,
    the volcano observatory,
    the sirens for tsunami
    (they've recently reinstated a different siren sound for "missile").

We're just not use to such a short notice, incoming type of thing.

hayshaker:
    You forgot the ukulele.
    After all,
    "We've got to have some music on the new frontier".

I was still living in hawaii when INIKI came thru, and let's not forget kalapana on big island.
    pau already.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

I can understand, Papa G. Home is home! And it must be a wonderful place to live on a lot of levels.