Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Rick, snow yet?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Hey Rick, snow yet?

I was just wondering if it was on top of you yet since you get these frontal systems about 4 hours ahead of me!

We are still in the light rain performance zone with temps hovering around freezing.

The weather reporters in this area are acting like this storm is just getting organized 30 miles from Cincinnati and is appearing just for us and might even miss us if we cross our fingers.

Not talking about the previous snowfall it is leaving or the ice storm transition phase as it goes from rain to freezing rain to snow.

They are ignoring the fact that it has already traveled all the way from California and is a well organized storm.

These are the guys that want me to get my weather app from them because some guy in Atlanta can not possibly predict OUR weather!

I have noticed lately that our local weather is ignoring NWS much of the time and they are getting it wrong more than ever.

Big time wrong!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Weather men and Major league base ball players are the only one that can get away with being right or doing well 30% of the time.
    Temp dropped from a record 58 degrees to the teens in an hour....yesterday afternoon...

No snow.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

About 2-3 inches on the ground and its still snowing. Seems to be streaming up from the south this time. Looks like we're on the western edge of it so we should be out of the snow later this afternoon with any luck. Nothing major with this one just cold air and some wind. Perfect day for hot soup and staying inside.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Weather men and Major league base ball players are the only one that can get away with being right or doing well 30% of the time.
    I'm stealing that.

I call the weather forecast "the weather guess". I check Accuweather.com online, but I call it "Guessuweather."
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Weather men can be 30% right and keep their jon
    Major league baseball players that hit .300 are stars....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Weather men can be 30% right and keep their jon
    Major league baseball players that hit .300 are stars....
    It takes 3 or 4 games to tell the difference between a .200 and .300 (statistically - it might takes more in real life), but it''s all the difference in the world.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Hey , we got a little snow that sneaked up the Ohio River with out you knowing about it!

I guess we have 4"-5" on the ground right now. I am not sure, I have not been outside in 3 days.

Mean while in Africa... it is REALLY REALLY WARM out here.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 01-18-2018 at 05:01 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

We don't have that much thankfully. Maybe 3". It's even starting to warm up. Not Africa warm but warmer. It was 12 this morning. That's -11 for Antony.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    We don't have that much thankfully. Maybe 3". It's even starting to warm up. Not Africa warm but warmer. It was 12 this morning. That's -11 for Antony.
    That is unheard of, the coldest I experienced was -5
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    Mean while in Africa... it is REALLY REALLY WARM out here.
    Being in the Southern Hemisphere probably(!) helps a bit.

We start a watm up here today, mid 40's. First above freezing since Monday and -3 yesterday morning. They're saying 60's for the weekend and chance of severe t-storms. Oklahoma weather at it's best.

We had -10c as the high temp one day this week!

In fact it is about that temp right now, but we are warming also.

I had to do some shopping yesterday and the high for the day was -7c.

That was my first trip out since Sunday. I am trying to stay off the roads with a secondary excuse being not wishing to get into crowds due to this flu epidemic we are experiencing.

So what did I do? I went to the pharmacy! The second most unhealthy place one can be, topped only by the doctor's office. All my meds were due for refill.

Is up to 24 F today...so far...sun is out.
    Looking at my weather feed....Stonewall La. is at 29 F......pretty cold for La.

Wonder how many water lines have frozen up....?
    News and weather often predicts when it will go below 32 F and for how long...in hours....

I was camping in 14F weather (-10 for Anthony) last weekend. Thank goodness the fire and the moonshine were both warm.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

yeah no you guys get some darn cold temps that side... freezing!

I have not camped in temps that cold in quite some time. It was a good refresher for me. I always bring a lot of water and gear (good sized truck). Since I get up early (usually before anybody else) one of the habits that I got into is to set up my coffee pot and a few other things before I go to bed. That way I don't make too much noise in the morning and wake up others.

Well.......my coffee pot was a solid pot of ice. No big deal - just took longer to make. But.........every other bit of water was a solid block of ice too. I used to store my water in an empty cooler to keep it from freezing. Had to break through the ice and get some creek water - made a little double boiler to melt the ice. I wasn't familiar with the creek source, so using it to melt ice was as far as I wanted to take it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I spent a few days out, doing "survival" in -5 with rain and sleet, was ment to snow, but I think at that point the weather was not favorable for that.. (2014 , Rhodes/Barkley east, near tiffindell http://www.tiffindell.co.za/, our only ski resort in southern africa, close to lestho)
    With the added wind chill factor made it feel around -15 or -20
    Slept in a cave on one night, and a shelter we made the other... was actually quiet nice, but yeah no frozen creeks or rivers..
    11742867_1188145491211692_8485093183461127840_n.jpg
    11143417_1188144024545172_2583336608449538338_n.jpg
    11225322_1188145827878325_2601031973132149708_n.jpg
    11705338_1188146147878293_1820691410139666401_n.jpg

I think the coldest It got last year Winter when I was in Tzaneen was maybe around -2 at the coldest, (right around 2am in the morning, there we had no sleeping gear, and a natrual shelter for a week... But layered clothing, a good jacket, thermal under clothing, a fire and a metal water bottle heated up full of water, made for a decent nights sleep..
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 01-19-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Finally above freezing today! Yeah! I have no idea what happened to global warming but it hasn't been around here since the middle of December.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Finally above freezing today! Yeah! I have no idea what happened to global warming but it hasn't been around here since the middle of December.
    heheh global warming is a thing, but yeah its effects on climate change dont really mean everywhere is getting warmer...some places are, other much colder...