Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seriously? Another one?

Default Seriously? Another one?

On the list. Even California is starting to look good. Well, no. Not really. But starting to.

https://gizmodo.com/avoid-monkeys-in...-ki-1821963329

....and they did have snow..LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I hate those little buggers. So does Max.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I completely agree with Crash's picture of see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. It seems that science is like that at times.
    Maurice Hilleman long ago expressed his observations of how monkeys affected the health of humans. His was the undisputed foremost expert in vaccines in the 20th century and any video with his name is interesting.

"Maurice Hilleman was responsible for developing more than 40 vaccines, including measles, mumps, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, meningitis, pneumonia, Haemophilus influenzae bacteria, and rubella.
    Microbe hunter, pioneering virologist, and the 20th century's leading vaccinologist"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    On the list. Even California is starting to look good. Well, no. Not really. But starting to.

Wow, man, don't go knocking California. At least CA does not have Burmese pythons and feral monkeys. The only really strange creatures in the state are drivers on the freeways and people on Telegraph Avenue.

In the mid 80s I lived on our Ranch near Benavides, TX. There was a research facility somewhere south of Alice, TX that used the Rhesus Monkeys. About 80 of them "escaped" carrying with them the various diseases they were being tested with. Although we were loaded, waiting and wanting to get a shot an some of them, I never recall even one being killed or captured. I guess they all went north looking for work.

Alan

The Mountain Lions out here would like to see some of those monkeys

Thats a bit extreme... imagine we did that here, remove animals that are indigenous to country cause it carries some form of danger.. the entire eco-system collapses..
    but yeah, with all the trophy hunting and poaching that does happen..
    stop nabbing our elephants, rhinos and lions etc.... anyway... I dont know what impact removal of a species would do there... just a concern.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

monkeys are not indigenous to florida
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

oh ok, invasive species then... suppose then better remove.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Yup. Those FL disease ridden pests need to be shot and their bodies cremated. And I like animals.

BUT. "They" have tried this eradication before. The animal lovers howled with no effect. And the eradication effort failed dismally.

Florida and south Georgia are so full of invasive species, if you eliminated them, there'd be no animals and plants there at all.....
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

We have a colony of about 40 African Vervet monkeys that live in the swamp just east of Fort Lauderdale International Airport.

Does anyone know how they got loose? I find it interesting that a mammal that size is able to acclimate to an area and thrive so readily. They seem to do a much better job than we would do if we were forced into a similar situation. We have all these silly survival shows and these monkeys do it with nothing at all but instinct.

The Silver Springs Rhesus monkeys were brought to Silver Springs by a glass bottom boat captain to enhance the "jungle" cruise. He heard monkeys couldn't swim and released them onto an island thinking they were contained. Apes can't swim. Monkeys can. They were in the river and on the banks before he even unloaded them all. Ooops. Get 'em Tarzan.

I guess that's another one for....Florida Man!
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

The word was that animal do gooders allowed the escape in South Texas. Most invasive specie propagations are started by someone "doing good" or they think it would be cool to have piranhas in the lake, or tiger fish in the river, or pretty water hyacinths in the bird bath, or nutria to eat the water hyacinths, or let Monty the pet python go because they couldn't keep him in the apartment any more because he ate Fluffy, or ten thousand other goofy reasons. Hey, lets plant this tree and it'll be the only one in North America!

People don't think. They bring in a plant and a disease it has causes the near extinction of the American Chestnut. Christopher Columbus and all who came after him brought invasive germs that killed 25,000,000 indigenonese in the first 100 years.

Oh well, Monkey, it's what's for dinner!

Alan

Does anyone know how they got loose? I find it interesting that a mammal that size is able to acclimate to an area and thrive so readily. They seem to do a much better job than we would do if we were forced into a similar situation. We have all these silly survival shows and these monkeys do it with nothing at all but instinct.
    You are correct. All you have to do is look at mongoose in Hawaii or rabbits in Australia
    For monkeys, look at the small island of Angaur in Palau (Micronesia). The monkeys were brought to Angaur by Germans during colonial times and now are all over the small island. Now, some of the monkeys (macaques) are taken to other parts of Palau as pets and are established in those places.
    Many species are very adaptable and can live very well near our human environments. Good lesson for a biology class.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 01-14-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Well I get all that. I was just wondering how 40 African Vervet monkeys got loose in Fort Lauderdale (or 20 or 10 or whatever the starting number was). Any of those examples do better than Alone on (name your place) and last a whole lot longer.

I have a tough time making it down the detergent aisle at Kroger. I would never survival the perfume dept. at Kohls. I'd have to kill someone to get out of there.