Thread: Milwaukee Red Cross cut out service to several zp codes.

Default Milwaukee Red Cross cut out service to several zp codes.

The Red Cross had decided to cut direct services to several zip codes.

That was a hot button subject...as those codes are in low income, high crime neighborhoods..

The reaction was severe ....with activists demanding the DOJ investigate and file charges for discrimination...that the Red Cross take government money (not true) and they need to hire more people ( they are unpaid volunteers.)

To further the cause was a woman that lived in that neighborhood, her sister and the activists hold a new conference....claiming she didn't receive any aid.
    Red Cross did produce recipes that checks were cashed, to that family.....for more than $500 bucks....so someone did cash those checks.

When confronted. as the story took off ....she admitted she had been advised to lie...and aploized...
    The activist refused to admit to anything.....But did advise that a GoFundMe page donations would be returned.

https://www.cbs58.com/news/milwaukee...ily-after-fire

The Red Cross has backed off and is now back to servicing those codes...if they have volunteers
    Last edited by hunter63; 01-09-2018 at 01:26 AM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nothing like a bit of Karma kicking butt. A volunteer organization helps you, gives you money and then you decide to smear them for their good works. Really nice. Gotta love Karma when she puts you on camera.

The Red Cross said their rules changed in those zip codes not to deny service but that RC volunteers would meet victims at police stations or community centers in the districts affected rather than at the actual site of disaster. I'd say that was the prerogative of the volunteers if there are actual crime statistics they can point to. No one was denied service.

I also read that the area Black Chamber of Commerce is attempting to start up a charitable Black Cross. There's nothing wrong with that concept either? Rather than step up and put needed local volunteers into the local Red Cross chapter where they can make a difference.....I give up.
    http://fox6now.com/2018/01/03/our-go...s-is-launched/
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

These so-called community activists? Half of them are charlatans and the rest are a mixture of the mis-led, the truly well-meaning and a bunch of Snowflakes.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

2 things . First you have to look after your volunteers so asking them to meet you some place safe is smart. Second while I can't speak to fund that Milwaukee red cross receives every county government in Tennessee gives government fund to the Red Cross . These fund are to help with Red Cross house fire response and victim services .

Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    2 things . First you have to look after your volunteers so asking them to meet you some place safe is smart. Second while I can't speak to fund that Milwaukee red cross receives every county government in Tennessee gives government fund to the Red Cross . These fund are to help with Red Cross house fire response and victim services .
    I just say....that as a HVAC service guy....we did have an "unofficial" list of areas that we were not required go to after dark.

We don't call these people snowflakes....but more of the "bucket brigade"....solve problems by beating a 5 gal bucket with a stick...and demanding.

Will be interesting to see how the Black Cross goes.

As far as funding.....our government may "donate" funding, like they do form many other organization like the United Way etc.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've had Triple-A say, "Sorry, we don't go to that location after 10pm."
    I was in a church parking lot in a town where you can walk outside after dark...
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Different states do AAA differently. Some AAAs don't play well with the mechanics they want to work for them so they can't get mechanics. It might be that the AAA in question just didn't have anyone that works after 10:00.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.