Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .300 win-mag reduced loads

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I just got an e-mail that might have made the decision more justifiable. Sometimes we have to rationalize our way around things.

To reload 100 rounds for the .300WM there will have to be new dies at $40, a can of powder @ $25 and a box of bullets @ $28. .300WM brass is $1 per case so 100 empties to work with will be another $100. Counting primers that will be right at $190.

Thompson Center has just extended their $75 rebate offer until April, which makes the cost of a TC Compass rifle $197.

He can buy a .308 for $5-$10 more than just the supplies to reload a .300WM.

On top of that surplus .308 ammo is going for $0.37 cents per round at the moment, so 100 rounds of .308 is only $37 and it is already loaded.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Bingo........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

does it always have to be rational and justifiable?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

IF we're rationalizing... I've put a few miles on a Marlin 336 30-30 and never lost any weight from not eating.

Alan

You guys are mistaking rationalizing for being rational!

We're talking about a new rifle here!

This particular guy is just now settling into the empty nest lifestyle. His last kid just moved out and he just got a big raise and promotion at work. He is still learning how to spend money on himself just because he wants too.

I am just helping the process now and then.

I see that the discussion has taken another route, but to answer the original question Hogdon lists a charge for their Trailboss powder.
    For the .300 win mag, 150 grain sp bullet.
    18 grain charge for 1,302 fps and 18,400 psi minimum load.
    25.5 grain charge for 1,687 fps and 28,600 maximum load.

The nice thing about Trailboss is that is fills cases better than most other powders, reducing failed ignition potential.

I agree, however, that the best idea is to just get a new rifle, a .308 will kill pretty much any normal game at normal ranges and ammo is cheap to buy compared to .300 win mag.

That said, I feel like part of the attraction for a reloader is the ability to make special loads to (safely) suit whatever purpose you need. Not much is more flexible than a .308 caliber cartridge!

I guess if he gets a .308 and it's still too much, he can download it to a .30 carbine...
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

But, but, but.........I read on the internet that a 22 can take any large game in North America. It was on the internet so it must be true.....right?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It's all about shot placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's all about shot placement.
    ....and sight picture...and a $300 buck trigger.....

Yep that's what we are trying to do.

Figure out a way to stop this beast from kicking like a mule so the poor guy can work on his "shot placement".

Best choice so far seems to be save the reloading gear money and use it to buy a new rifle that don't kick so hard!

Yup....You can't shoot very well when you are afraid of it.

We used to shoot on the guys farm...had a pond and gravel pit..
    Just stop at the house...give them a piece of paper with you name and number on it ...and go shoot.

I had just finished up sighting in the 7mm mag....and doing the 2 shot practice....so must have put 60 rounds thru it......

Guy shows up....with a Weatherby 338 Win mag....and was waiting for use to pack up....
    Said he needed to sight in his rifle for a trip '''Out west"

As he didn't have a stand, bentch or anything....we offered to let him use ours....
    Shooting stand, card table, chair, shot bags, spotting scope.

Our target board was a 5' x5' pallet...with 4 paper plates......50 and 100 yds.

So he loads up a couple of rounds in the magazine....works the bolt...takes aim...the turns his head and jerked the trigger....
    "Where did I hit?"

Missed the pallet right side but 5 feet and high.
    Tried another shot....same thing.....

Now he is gonna adjust the open sights...(Weatherbys generally are pretty close from the factory)

Suggested to him to just try another shot before he messes with the sight....
    Same thing, way right and high.

Told him that he was flinching and jerking the trigger.

He didn't believe me....so loaded a couple of more rounds in the magazine......but did not have the bolt all the way back...so didn't pick up a round to chamber it.

Aimed again turned his head,..pulled the trigger and just sat there a shook the rifle waiting for it to go off.....
    Looks up and says.... "Yeah, maybe you are right"....
    The asked it I wanted to try it.....LOL

About now that was the LAST thing I wanted to do....after 60 rounds thru the 7 mag from all kinds of positions, shoulder turning the coolest colors you ever saw.

Anyway, sat down put 2 shots, to the right a bit.... out about 2".... but even with the bull.
    That would be a good start for me would take some tweaking...but I wasn't gonna do it for him.

Ask him where he got that gun....He says "My brother in law is "Wayne insert name"... Like I'm supposed to be impressed...the owner of a local LGS...."and he gave me a good deal"

LOL. I bet he did...couldn't sell it in his store...so pushed it off on his BIL.....He was kinda crooked that way....

Suggested that he take it back and trade in in for a .243 or 30-30 or something that he was afraid.

Point being....Can't shoot vert well id toy are afraid of it....AND many people have not, won't , reload...so that course of action is to do it for him.....or Buy a different rifle