Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 16 ga vrs 12 ga

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Sorry to hijack the 16 gage thread.

Alan
    Happens all the time, you know that!

We just shut up and enjoy the memories.

Too bad we are not sitting in front of the fire with a nice Bourbon, a good cigar and a lab curled up in the corner.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Too bad we are not sitting in front of the fire with a nice Bourbon, a good cigar and a lab curled up in the corner.
    Yup, no worries.....love hearing those stories.....a have to laugh at a few, some still bring tears to my eyes, ....and can relate.

I miss hunting with friends and family, all my dogs,..... lost a lot last few year of both....
    Kinda like going to church......In the outdoors.....In my head.

It's 8 degrees out.... the springer spaniel has just gotten off my lap.....snoosed here for about an hour.....lab by my side.....thinking maybe a scotch and water may be in order.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

On the 410 with rabbits. A funny thing happened. My dad would not let me take a 22 hunting in South Louisiana. South Texas, no problem, but in South LA he thought it was too dangerous, and he was probably right. I could hunt with a shotgun all I wanted though. He kinda frowned on the use of buckshot for the same reasons. Well, I'd had the bright idea of putting the buckshot (with was actually 36 calliber lead balls). One day I shot three big swamp rabbits. My mother had fried them and that evening we were having a great supper of fried rabbit, mashed potatoes and gravy. My dad was eating a piece of backstrap (swamp rabbits are big enough to have backstraps) and got a funny look on his face. He took a 36 cal lead ball out of his mouth and dropped it on the plate, "clank" and he's looking at me. I can see him out of the corner of my eye and I'm thinking "Oh, spit, here it comes..." I was thinking as fast as I could and only came up with, "This rabbit sure is good mom!" He never said a word, just kept on eating.

Later, (as in decades later), I told him what I had been doing with the 410 shells. He says, 'You think you're the first one to ever think of that?"

I miss him. Sometimes, really bad.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

Now THAT sounds like a plan.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yup, no worries.....love hearing those stories.....a have to laugh at a few, some still bring tears to my eyes, ....and can relate.

I miss hunting with friends and family, all my dogs,..... lost a lot last few year of both....
    Kinda like going to church......In the outdoors.....In my head.

It's 8 degrees out.... the springer spaniel has just gotten off my lap.....snoosed here for about an hour.....lab by my side.....thinking maybe a scotch and water may be in order.
    I never hunted or fished much with friends. I had three sons and for the last thirty years I hunted and fished with them almost exclusively. Now they're grown and gone.

There's a little patch of woods at the end of our street and the boys and I would go down there and kick around. The old fellow who lived in the last house would wave to us every time we walked by. He had been an outdoorsman all his life and had two sons that lived far off. He was confined to a wheel chair but he'd wheel out to talk to the boys when they were going by. One day he caught me and asked why we weren't at the ranch or the lake. I said we hadn't gone (for whatever excuse I had). He shook his head and told me, "Alan, you'd better take those boys and go hunting and fishing and camping and whatever else you can do, every chance you get, because someday, it's going to be over. And buddy, when it's over, it's OVER". He was right. I took his words to heart though, and we hunted and fished. I've told every man who'll listen the same thing.

It's hard enough to get those boys here for Christmas dinner or Thanksgiving, much less a night around the fire at the ranch or a day on the lake. Those days are over, gone, forever. Sure, I get them one at a time now and then, and that's good. But, not like it was.

Well, it IS late now, and even without a hot toddy (which I haven't had in 25 years) I'm about to dent the keyboard nodding off.

See y'all tomorrow.

Alan

I hunted with dad 12 ga Crescent Arms 12 ga SS....figuring I wouldn't be shooting stop signs with that...tear the arm off a 12 year old.

Still had the 2 shell rule.....
    One day when I came home had a rabbit,.... he saw the web on my right hand was bloody....so ask me what happened.
    Told him the brake lever on the action was loose, and would pinch the web of my hand every time I fired it....

He looked at it..... put it away.......we never used it again....

That was the day I started using the Win Mod 12 16 ga.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

12 ga......The "Hand Biter"
    12ga DB....
    Top 16 ga side hammers....
    Wall hangers.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27