Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When does something become antique?

Default When does something become antique?

Watching the tube this morning...(cold outside)...one show has a couple of ladies BS-ing about everything...

Today they were talking about antique Christmas some decorations being collectable....as in "better hang on to that, may be worth some money some day....Is it Now?

For an example they had a ceramic Christmas tree with lights.....from the old days.

Next to the TV is DW's ceramic tree she made years ago in a class she took for years.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

So I guess the longer you live the better chance of "making an antique"......or one of those hairlooms(?)

Then there is Grandpa majic rifle...shoot 2 miles and knock the left nut off a gnat.....couple reside in the safe that could qualify.

Feeling old today.....turned down a New Years Eve Party.........

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Officially the time limit is 100 years.

After 100 years it is an antique and not yard sale junk.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

These day seems 1999 qualifies....different century ?

100 years sounds like a good rule, but I don't think anyone applies that. I think you can get an "Antique Car" license plate here in Arkansas if the car is 25 years old. I think a lot of people apply that rule to stuff, too, valid or not.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

if it was kinda old when my parents were kids it's a antique. news years eve parties, I'm in my early fifties and have been turning down parties for years.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I'm pretty sure I'm an antique. I sure do feel like it some days.

Yep. As Yoda would say.....antique status I am.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

c'mon fellas antique and ancient are two different things
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    c'mon fellas antique and ancient are two different things
    Yes that is true antiques generally have some perceived value . While ancient is just something that is ready for the dust bin .
    Anymore things 30 to 40 years old that are no longer used but have a collector value are listed as antiques though from my point of view vintage would be a better term for them.

somethings are collectible like a lot of 80ies toys, and are valuable... but not everything is an antique, and not all antiques are very valuable... I am not entirely sure how this is all categorized, but I think rarity and the collector that deems it valuable i suppose give it's intrinsic value.
    (My parents have been running an antique store for many many years, at least 20 of them)
    but I think the basics are anything older than about 60 years is considered an antique..
    cars are different... I think here they rules are anything older than about 1985 is a classic car (and my dad is a member of a car club as well, piston ring club)... so grew up around a lot of old stuff, from cars to Junk and antiques, coins, medals, milataria (my jacket in profile pic is ex british sas from desert storm, my dad gave to me from his collection)
    I don't nor ever will profess at being an expert at any of this.. but I know a bit of things (personally dislike the old junk myself, but know something valuable when I see it)
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 12-28-2017 at 07:45 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Watching the tube this morning...(cold outside)...one show has a couple of ladies BS-ing about everything...

Today they were talking about antique Christmas some decorations being collectable....as in "better hang on to that, may be worth some money some day....Is it Now?

For an example they had a ceramic Christmas tree with lights.....from the old days.

Next to the TV is DW's ceramic tree she made years ago in a class she took for years.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

So I guess the longer you live the better chance of "making an antique"......or one of those hairlooms(?)

Then there is Grandpa majic rifle...shoot 2 miles and knock the left nut off a gnat.....couple reside in the safe that could qualify.

Feeling old today.....turned down a New Years Eve Party.........

Dust collectors to me man, I dont like clutter and I am not particularly sentimental... The issue with a lot of OLD stuff people believe they sitting on a gold mine, hardly the case... not everything old is very valuable, even so if it is valuable you need to get a market for it, someone willing to buy it at a fair price (which is very hard to determine) appraisals are possible, but that value they assign to the item you never will get that value, a dealer may buy it to resell to a collector they know and pay you a 1/3rd what its value might actually be, if you sell a thing privately it takes you a long time, and your price is still negotiated.. just be warned if you feel something is worth a ton of cash, its more than likely not even worth close to that..
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

I was thinking Rick is more ancient than antique lol

news years eve parties, I'm in my early fifties and have been turning down parties for years.
    It's been years since I even set the alarm for midnight, and woke up just enough to say, "Happy New Year".
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    Dust collectors to me man, I dont like clutter and I am not particularly sentimental... The issue with a lot of OLD stuff people believe they sitting on a gold mine, hardly the case... not everything old is very valuable, even so if it is valuable you need to get a market for it, someone willing to buy it at a fair price (which is very hard to determine) appraisals are possible, but that value they assign to the item you never will get that value, a dealer may buy it to resell to a collector they know and pay you a 1/3rd what its value might actually be, if you sell a thing privately it takes you a long time, and your price is still negotiated.. just be warned if you feel something is worth a ton of cash, its more than likely not even worth close to that..
    LOL....You are overthinking this....No visions of treasure here.......

The point was ...a craft that DW made as fun waaaay back when,.... that has been taken care of....is still offered (didn't say sold) for about 3 times the original value.
    And........Live long enough to make your own "antiques"....

Would I invest in this stuff?.....No
    If the DW likes this stuff, made it, and has enjoyed for 40 years....and made her happy.....is priceless.......

More importantly....she doesnt give me that "How many knives do you need"?......small price to pay.
    If Mama's happy, we are all happy...

Things are antiques when you're buying them. They are junk when you're selling them.

Alan

I was thinking Rick is more ancient than antique lol
    Well, at least dusty.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Well, at least dusty.

I would say F.A.R.T.ing dust at the least

Decrepit. Farting dust is not a worry. It's farting anything solid that's a worry. At this age you cannot trust a fart.

hmmm Rick, farting something solid is called something else. farts do not have lumps

I became an antique about a month ago. Last month, I was 64. This month, I'm 110.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.