Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: skills to match your trauma kit

Snake bites here are not a small thing. Copperheads are rare, cottonmouths are smallish and really don't like people and when I go to where they are (teal Season) they are usually pretty sluggish, and coral snakes have to have your help to bite you.

But, rattlesnakes are another story. I do NOT want a rattlesnake bite. It may not kill you but you're going to feel like it and look like it.

Alan

I carry a roll of black electrical tape and a old T-shirt.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I carry a roll of black electrical tape and a old T-shirt.
    Plumbers use shop rags and electricians tape.....Duck tape too sticky.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

my t-shirts are rags lol
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Last company I worked for was a big company...we had shop rags....LOL

The mom and pop company used rags.....and you new knew what you were gonna get in a small bale....

I dont carry too much mostly things for cuts and scrapes and other small booboos.
    but do know 1st aid, but yeah its mostly just running around with plasters and pressure bandages..
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Having said that, I would like to get some good 1st aid/trauma training.

Had to do that basic First aid from the Red Cross...as well as CPR training....re-cert every year as a supervisor in a factory.

We never go past basic ...stop bleeding, immobilizing fractures,...rescue carries.

Unless you have further training....that about all most people are qualified for.......
    And dial 911...
    Back in the bush...do what you can,.... but gonna be tough sledding....The risk you take.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Had to do that basic First aid from the Red Cross...as well as CPR training....re-cert every year as a supervisor in a factory.

We never go past basic ...stop bleeding, immobilizing fractures,...rescue carries.

Unless you have further training....that about all most people are qualified for.......
    And dial 911...
    Back in the bush...do what you can,.... but gonna be tough sledding....The risk you take.
    Its the exact 1st aid training I have...
    Basically we where told to 1st check if person is ok and conscious, then if they are basically ask them if its ok to try help them, and as soon as you begin to treat for anything you are required to call The Paramedics or whom ever (911,etc)
    and well your duty is to try and do as much as you can and allowed to, if it is CPR, your duty is to try keep that going as long as you can or as long as better help arrives..
    anyway there is a lot of law around it.. so be careful what you do, also I would never give people medications, I keep some for my personal use, but never to some one else.. can lead to big issues.

There is a line between, being a good samartian type 1st aid.. and some one that thinks they know what they doing and well do on site procedures past your basic first aid.
    That is mostly well treating shock, checking airways, breathing, breaks and immobilization, stopping bleeding, cpr( also know how to administer an I.V)... So in my mind it is just basically trying to keep the person calm, and treat things you can see like bleeding and so forth.. till help actually arrives.... also imperative to keep an accurate event log of incident from the time you arrive, so that this information can be sent with the patient when paramedics come etc.. More or less time lines, what you did, what they took or ate and drank, injuries you found and treated and how etc.. etc..
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 12-18-2017 at 04:54 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

And dial 911...
    In school, administrators, coaches and bus drivers were required to take first aid, CPR, and AED use. When I was there we had two AEDs on campus. My understanding is that now they have more. The training was a one day thing and it seemed that the CPR procedure changed every year. I never had to use first aid in any of those three positions I held in public school, and I am extremely glad of that. We had athletic trainers (adults on staff as such) that took care of most of the injuries that occurred at school. Once in a while there was something the school nurse could handle.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    Its the exact 1st aid training I have...
    Basically we where told to 1st check if person is ok and conscious, then if they are basically ask them if its ok to try help them, and as soon as you begin to treat for anything you are required to call The Paramedics or whom ever (911,etc)
    and well your duty is to try and do as much as you can and allowed to, if it is CPR, your duty is to try keep that going as long as you can or as long as better help arrives..
    anyway there is a lot of law around it.. so be careful what you do, also I would never give people medications, I keep some for my personal use, but never to some one else.. can lead to big issues.

There is a line between, being a good samartian type 1st aid.. and some one that thinks they know what they doing and well do on site procedures past your basic first aid.
    That is mostly well treating shock, checking airways, breathing, breaks and immobilization, stopping bleeding, cpr( also know how to administer an I.V)... So in my mind it is just basically trying to keep the person calm, and treat things you can see like bleeding and so forth.. till help actually arrives.... also imperative to keep an accurate event log of incident from the time you arrive, so that this information can be sent with the patient when paramedics come etc.. More or less time lines, what you did, what they took or ate and drank, injuries you found and treated and how etc.. etc..
    That's pretty much it....thanks for filling in the blanks.

Hey Phaedrus, Check with your local hospital, American Heart Association or Red Cross. Our local hospital offers all sorts of classes. I've signed up for the breast feeding class three times but they keep sending me home. I guess the class has been full.

i Have no clue if this link will work.. but here I am doing some cpr at our 1st aid course
    https://www.facebook.com/antonylr/vi...235320/?type=3

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hey Phaedrus, Check with your local hospital, American Heart Association or Red Cross. Our local hospital offers all sorts of classes.
    In my area all those courses are given at no cost.

If you want advanced EMT training or first responder training that is often given through local universities.

FEMA also offers intense disaster first aid training as part of their community outreach. Upi get in on the community trauma drills and all sorts of stuff working with them.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hey Phaedrus, Check with your local hospital, American Heart Association or Red Cross. Our local hospital offers all sorts of classes. I've signed up for the breast feeding class three times but they keep sending me home. I guess the class has been full.
    I tried finding classes on DIY gynecology, but no luck.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    In my area all those courses are given at no cost.

If you want advanced EMT training or first responder training that is often given through local universities.

FEMA also offers intense disaster first aid training as part of their community outreach. Upi get in on the community trauma drills and all sorts of stuff working with them.
    They still do...college, tech school...and Red Cross center....see the schedule in the paper pretty regular.

Used to play racquetball at the Tech school, in the all purpose building...had a gym. locker room/showers, basketball courts etc.

We came off the court after an hour....to fine that some group was staging a trauma, disaster,....with dead people many with horrific injuries....blood and bone sticking out....massive burns....

WTF?????

Looked like someone had blown up a basketball game.

That was in the early 1990's....never thinking that scenes like this would ever be real...
    WOW

Was weird walking thru the bodies to get to the locker room.

You're going about it wrong. You have to teach the class.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLee
    I tried finding classes on DIY gynecology, but no luck.
    '

First, I'm built all wrong for that. Second, I can't bend over anywhere near that far. I can't even bend over far enough to do naval practice if you know what I mean. Third, I've reached the age that I'm not even certain I remember what all the parts are for. Bits and pieces come back to me but not all at once. Mostly, it's sort of an 'Oh yeah' moment.

'

First, I'm built all wrong for that. Second, I can't bend over anywhere near that far. I can't even bend over far enough to do naval practice if you know what I mean. Third, I've reached the age that I'm not even certain I remember what all the parts are for. Bits and pieces come back to me but not all at once. Mostly, it's sort of an 'Oh yeah' moment. [/COLOR]
    I didn't mean, DIOY. I guess I meant "amateur gynecology."

It just goes to show that you never know how people are going to take what you say/type.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Oh Yeah.....See? One of those moments.