Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Say What?

Rick - one day last year Rush got a new digital implant that had more channels. (Short Version) ... He described the learning curve after it was turned on or "programmed" and it will be weeks of not comprehending as your brain needs time to adjust to the new signals. He described it to hearing thru an AM radio with no ability to recognize most music. However, it is still a modern miracle and he is thankful for now having two implants after years of only having one. I spent time at NTID at RIT for a summer and it was mind-blowing. I hope everything works out for the best...

Woo.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    You sure you want kyratshooter using sign language?
    Oh, Rick's a big boy.....he's seen it all before......well except for that one where Krat signs without his pants on and holds his lips a little funny. Yeah - don't think he's seen that one before.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Great news, sounds good!!!!
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Good deal Rick! Programming should be interesting. Like a bionic ear.

I received the external processor yesterday and the first programming. They are interested in comfort levels at this point but it is pretty amazing. Everything sounds a bit like an off frequency ham radio but I am able to understand words if I have visible references. I go back next week for another programming. Flipping amazing. This whole thing has been a piece of cake. If you or any of your family members are considering it then do NOT anguish over it. My experience has been simply phenomenal. The implant that I have is the Cochlear 7 which is made for the iPhone. It comes with an app, of course, and even has a GPS locator in the app if you lose it! Crazy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I received the external processor yesterday and the first programming. They are interested in comfort levels at this point but it is pretty amazing. Everything sounds a bit like an off frequency ham radio but I am able to understand words if I have visible references. I go back next week for another programming. Flipping amazing. This whole thing has been a piece of cake. If you or any of your family members are considering it then do NOT anguish over it. My experience has been simply phenomenal. The implant that I have is the Cochlear 7 which is made for the iPhone. It comes with an app, of course, and even has a GPS locator in the app if you lose it! Crazy stuff.
    glad to hear you doing great! and I am sure your just glad to hear
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Cool stuff....What won't think of next.....

Kinda like a "Furby"....you need to get programed ?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Very cool. The things they've come up with since I retired! Glad it works well. The people I knew that had cochlear implants didn't like the sound at all.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Awesome! So glad it's working out for you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a home office and sat down at the computer and I could hear this rhythmic pulsing. Could not figure out what the heck it was. Checked everything. Finally narrowed it down to the clock ticking on my desk. I have never heard this clock tick in my life. I can hear it now. Amazing.

how many fingers am I holding up?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

"Sounds" like a whole new world will be opening up for you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    "Sounds" like a whole new world will be opening up for you.
    I heard what you did there......LOL
    Great news indeed.

Such good news, Rick. So glad you are doing good with it. My dad years ago had hearing aids and couldn't stand them in a room with people as it was just so much noise. Hope you have good luck with them.

Bill
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

Second programming was yesterday and they extended the range I can hear. They did some comprehension testing and I tested at 50% on the implant. I was at 4% before surgery. Not bad for 1 week. I heard about 80% of the priest's sermon Sunday, which I haven't been able to hear in about a year. The piano "sounded" tone perfect to me. The organ not so much but the piano did. This is an amazing journey!

That pretty cool......hope it keeps getting better.

Fantastic. I'm sure glad that you waited as long as you did. The first generation cochlear implants were a bit more cumbersome than today's models.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Bohahaha! That could not use those in the Northeast. The moose got confused.

Rick, I have similar hearing problems. Hearing loss and low (30% and dropping) speech recognition. Can't speak on phone. Hearing aids increased sound level but no speech recognition improvement. VA is soooo gooood; "You can hear sounds, what more do you want?" How did you get into this?
    Last edited by Old GI; 02-01-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Keep it up and you're gonna be a six million dollar man (well, figuring changes in the value of the dollar, I dunno....)
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.