Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Say What?

Default Say What?

As some of you know, my hearing is for naught as in I am on the near side of deaf. The hearing has been going for some time but this year it seems to have taken flight to who knows where and left me behind. After some extensive testing, it turns out I qualify for cochlear implants and I am having my first one installed this afternoon. The processor won't be programmed until January and it will take some six months to learn to hear on the darn thing but the surgeon tells me when everything is done I will have near normal hearing. Once we have the one ear complete then we will do the other one.

My comprehension was down to 3% in one ear and 4% in the other without lip reading so my hearing was pretty bad. Post surgery goal is a minimum of 70% and they said 90% was likely so I'm pretty stoked. I have not heard birds sing in a couple of decades and that's the one thing I'm really looking forward to. That and I have a 7 year old grand daughter I've never figured out what that little blondie is saying. Maybe now I will be able to.

Anyway, that's what is planned for my day today. See you in the funny papers.

Good luck....hope it works out for you...
    After my eye surgery got done....made me a believer in miracles.

Be thinking about you.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Good luck, Rick! Sounds like it will be amazing if it works as well as they're saying.

Good luck Rick.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Good luck. Prayers for a successful surgery and a quick recovery.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good luck! Modern medicine.

wish you the best on your surgery rick.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

Mud gluck man. I soap it burns snout hell.

Alan

Psssst. It's his ears, not his eyes.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Wow Rick, I remember you speaking of your hearing being less than optimal, but didn't realize that it was so far advanced. Praying that this works well and shooting for the 90%!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Psssst. It's his ears, not his eyes.
    I know, but I thought it would make him feel better if he read what he hears...

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post

Alan
    Ohh, I know it's Rick and all, but that right there is just mean!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post

Alan
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Surgery went well. It lasted a bit over an hour and the surgeon said it went better than he had hoped for. No pain to speak of. Tylenol kind of pain. He gave me drugs but I really don't need them. So the bandages are on for two days then I'm off to the races. The surgery has to heal for 30 days then the external processor receives its first program the second week of January. It receives updates every week for a couple of weeks then every two weeks then monthly and at 6 months or so I should be able to hear on the thing. Life is good. Until then I cannot blow my noise and any sneeze or cough has to be with an open mouth (yeah, gross) so the pressure doesn't go into the middle ear. Chance of infection and all that. We are sooooooo lucky to be living in this day and age when medical science can perform smoke and mirrors kind of things and we don't have to just live with whatever life throws at us....or just die. God is way too good to me and I know and appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Surgery went well. It lasted a bit over an hour and the surgeon said it went better than he had hoped for. No pain to speak of. Tylenol kind of pain. He gave me drugs but I really don't need them. So the bandages are on for two days then I'm off to the races. The surgery has to heal for 30 days then the external processor receives its first program the second week of January. It receives updates every week for a couple of weeks then every two weeks then monthly and at 6 months or so I should be able to hear on the thing. Life is good. Until then I cannot blow my noise and any sneeze or cough has to be with an open mouth (yeah, gross) so the pressure doesn't go into the middle ear. Chance of infection and all that. We are sooooooo lucky to be living in this day and age when medical science can perform smoke and mirrors kind of things and we don't have to just live with whatever life throws at us....or just die. God is way too good to me and I know and appreciate it.
    Glad it went well, that must be very challenging the no coughing and sneezing and nose blowing...
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

I'm glad it went well, Rick. You'll have to keep us posted when they get you all programmed.

Glad it went well.

It truly is amazing what the smarter of us humans have decided to use our brains for. Modern Science miracles as opposed to the garbage coming out of Washington these days.

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

When that contraption starts working I am going to drive half way across the state and meet you for a cup of coffee so I can yell at you!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You won't need to yell once the contraption starts.................ah never mind. Just send him sign language now.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You sure you want kyratshooter using sign language?