Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Freezing!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Freezing!

I am not sure if it is the new and additional meds I am on or what, but I am freezing to death this year. This is the first year I have ever been constantly cold indoors when I should not be.

House is the same, heat system is the same, windows are properly sealed and not big winds blowing through, temperatures are acceptable (about 68f), it is ME that has changed from all evidence.

Hands and feet are chilled constantly even in wool socks and I sit shivering in front of the heater hugging a cup of tea.

I have broken out the knit comforters and taken to wearing a cap indoors.

If things do not change pretty quickly I am going to be headed down south for life in the warmer regions with Batch, Crash and Mad Max!

'scuse me I have to get more tea!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

This is the very reason I keep such a detailed list of the things that will bite, burn and sting you (I suppose I now have to add squeeze you) down there in the hinter lands. I will forward you a copy to peruse before you make such a fateful decision. You could easily find yourself flat of your back on a fire ant hill with no clapper in sight! You could yell help I've fallen and I can't get up until the cows come home (I think they have cows in Florida) and those pesky ants will continue to sting without abandon. You could even fall into a sink hole!

No. What you need is an occasional visit from a neighborly widow lady to warm things up. What I mean is a freshly baked and still warm loaf of bread or pie (apple would be nice) to fill the bill.

I hear you......Seems it going around...
    Was doing some Christmas shopping and came across these heated throws....

I bought DW one...she bought me one...add H&H recliners.....and hibernate.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunbeam-E...3=2668&veh=sem
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Well, it's not much better down here. I am unabashedly a Flatlander and a Southerner. I think 40 degrees is unbearably cold, 50 is uncomfortable. We had temps drop to just above freezing last week and even had our 15 year snow (about 1/2 inch), just enough to cover the grass. It was 70 again yesterday and around 65 today. Supposed to drop to 38 tonight.

But, this year when we had that first cold snap, when normally my neck would have swelled and I'd have been testing the wind, I was miserably cold. I just hung around in the house in front of the space heater. #1 wife even gave me a hard time about it. I was cold. It was a cold to the core feeling. I just thought it was old age. Maybe it's something else.....

Alan

Krat it sounds to me you really need to work on your
    circulatory system. look into that.garlic cayanne,and so forth
    as always do your research.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

Man, I'm sorry to hear about your predicament, kyrat.

The only thing I can think of is: "My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." from Animal House.

It's not real advice for this situation. I just thought a laugh would do you good.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    Krat it sounds to me you really need to work on your
    circulatory system. look into that.garlic cayanne,and so forth
    as always do your research.
    All the garlic and cayenne, powdered rino horn or dried bat tea in the world are not going to do me much good.

The last round of meds they put me on for the type 2 diabetes seems to have put me over the top. Diabetes is especially difficult on the circulation in the extremities and this is the first winter I have been called to cope with that situation.

I have the direct results of the problem under control; blood sugar at the proper level, A1c inside the safe zone. I still have to deal with these side effects which I have never had to work around.

There are some others besides this cold; dizziness, crazy sleep patterns, weakening of the kidneys, wild cravings for exactly the foods I can not eat, slow healing of any scrape or cut. And all that when I have the situation under control!

So I am called to deal with bad circulation from both the coronary heart disease, whieh has me on some real heavy blood thinners, and T2 diebetes which has its own set of circulation problems.

But there is a plus side! Keeping to the prescribed diet I have dropped 30 pounds. I am also doing 30-60 minutes of cardio daily and except for these small irritations I feel better than I have for decades. I just require about a dozen pills daily and part of them are apparently freezing me to death.

This is why old folks move to Florida and Arizona! I could use a good 90 degree day right now.

krat i was only trying to help, honest
    bieing big pharma is not all that and a bag of chips.
    just keep thinking outside the box.
    oh btw thermals they keep you warm.

So now its a plot by big pharma to sell more heating oil?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh, would you look at that. I stepped in fuel oil. I'll probably need a tetanus shot. Crap!

1st i'm not conspyracy minded.
    and what does big pharma have to do with oil.
    i only ment there are natural alternatives to modern medicine.
    though i do have proof that the goverment caused all the hurricaines
    in florida thia year, yeah that's the ticket

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I still have to deal with these side effects which I have never had to work around.

There are some others besides this cold; dizziness, crazy sleep patterns, weakening of the kidneys, wild cravings for exactly the foods I can not eat, slow healing of any scrape or cut. And all that when I have the situation under control!
    With that in mind, check this out for some laughs (which will probably warm you up!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7-Mny-kgXg

I recommend just searching for any of his stuff.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Hayshaker, there is a natural alternative to the meds I take.

It is even more expensive and has permanent side effects too.

It is called a funeral.

I would have been dead 15 years past if not for two pills that cost me $4 per month each. Big pharma is not making millions off my medical requirements.

I DIED in 2004! Modern medicine brought me back to life and "big pharma" has kept me alive since that day when I crashed while walking into the ER.

After my little week long stay in cardiac intensive care I asked the doctor how long I would be on the meds? When could I stop taking the pills? I will never forget his reply.

"About two weeks to a month before you want to die!"

He was very specific about that. If I did not take my meds I would die, and not a long time down the road, but real soon. He had seen it enough to know exactly how long I would last.

The term "life sustaining medicines" comes into play here. There is no tree bark, bush root, coin boiling, clay eating substitute. Do I want to stop taking them and try a "natural alternative"?

No.

I do not wish to lose a foot or a leg while trying to discover if some substitute for my diabetes meds will work. I have no wish to suffer a stroke while experimenting with alternatives to my high BP meds. I have no desire to go through open heart surgery after my arteries clog due to me playing around with "alternatives" and going off my cholesterol medications.

Call me crazy but that just does not have any attraction for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This is the very reason I keep such a detailed list of the things that will bite, burn and sting you (I suppose I now have to add squeeze you) down there in the hinter lands. I will forward you a copy to peruse before you make such a fateful decision. You could easily find yourself flat of your back on a fire ant hill with no clapper in sight! You could yell help I've fallen and I can't get up until the cows come home (I think they have cows in Florida) and those pesky ants will continue to sting without abandon. You could even fall into a sink hole!

No. What you need is an occasional visit from a neighborly widow lady to warm things up. What I mean is a freshly baked and still warm loaf of bread or pie (apple would be nice) to fill the bill.
    Is that a list of things to expect in Florida? Like you've thought of moving there but don't like bugs and pythons? ( living in the North myself so that is how I picture it )
    “It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory.”

http://wilderness-survival.org

kyratshooter Have you tried a fleece beanie and move the thermostat to 74°????????
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Oh, you bet. Anything south of the Mason-Dixon line. Did you know they have dinosaurs down there? It's true! They have things that will eat you and no one will ever know that you've been eaten unless they care to run a stick through dinosaur poo and I don't know anyone crazy enough to do that. Well, one or two guys but I digress. I have yet to see a bunny rabbit that will take on the task of devouring a full grown man.

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    kyratshooter Have you tried a fleece beanie and move the thermostat to 74°????????
    Yep, I finally gave up on "normal". I brought in a space heater for added BTU assistance and zipped the temp up to 74 degrees. I am better off paying a few dollars more on the electric bill and getting something done around here rather than sitting shivering and complaining from now till April.

I think that is one of the problems with the advisement of the power companies. They want everyone to turn the AC up in summer and the heat down in winter. About the time you get used to the AC keeping things at 74-75 degrees summer temp, winter rolls around and they want you to live at 66-68 degrees!

That might be fine for teenagers and folks in their twenties, but us old folks need some heat radiating to our bone marrow.

FYI. Don't throw your long undies away if you move here anywhere north of Miami (And don't move to Miami). It was in the twenties here a few days ago. Course it's going to be in the 70's today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh, you bet. Anything south of the Mason-Dixon line.
    Speaking of the Mason-Dixon Line...

Mason Dixon Line.JPG

ETA: How do you post pictures so that they don't show as a thumbnail, but have the picture in the post?
    I've posted pictures a few times, and it seems to do it different every time. I'm using the basic uploader.