Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The one I never got for Xmas

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default The one I never got for Xmas

All of us have been in the situation of Ralphie with the Red Ryder at some point in time. We had the wish bug real bad and were waiting for the big box to show up under the tree.

Only it never happened!

What was/is your big firearm wish that you made very clear but it never showed up under the tree and you got new underwear and socks instead?

Mine was a .30 Carbine. I asked politely for years and never got one.

I still do not have one and at current prices I never will.

It is just as well, I have the AR platform now and I can get a .300BO upper if I want and it will out preform the .30 carbine anyway.

I might just do that this year, buy myself a .300 upper and think back to the time I spent a couple of thousand on everyone else and got a toaster to warm up my frozen waffles in the big box under the tree.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I actually like socks and underwear's under the tree.
    Honestly I can't expect much this year, aint no-one got monies for that..
    I be happy to sleep in and go nowhere at this rate.. maybe If I am lucky I might get out of making breakfast... who knows..
    lol.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Never got my horse, haha. It’s gonna to be a great Christmas for me this year, first Christmas with a fantastic woman. Both healthy, happy, employed, roof over our head. Family’s healthy anything else is just icing on the cake, truly blessed.
    Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by Graf View Post
    Never got my horse, haha. It’s gonna to be a great Christmas for me this year, first Christmas with a fantastic woman. Both healthy, happy, employed, roof over our head. Family’s healthy anything else is just icing on the cake, truly blessed.
    Indeed that is what it is about time with loved ones... I can't complain on that side either... have an awesome Fiance' and a good family... just teadious trying to make everyones party.. I just want a quiet one no fuss...
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

My wife got me a few firearms for Christmas but nothing I was expecting. I would be happy with any firearm under the tree. As a kid I didn't wait for Christmas for a firearm.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I am happy when they Lady gets me A knife under the tree...

Never got a BB gun. My Father would not let me have one because he didn't want me to think I could shoot something with no impact (Cousin shot my in the butt). I could have a firearm when I could handle a 12 ga.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

As a kid I got several BB guns for Christmas. Never a "real" firearm.

Growing up we lived on the edge of town in a brush bordered suburb still inside the city limits. A BB gun was of more use to me than a real gun since my Dad was not a hunter and a real gun would have sat unused 99>9% of the time.

I shot the crap out of those BB guns, wore most of them out during the course of a year and finally graduated to a Crossman 140 .22 pellet rifle when I was 14. I still remember it in the X-mass catalog, $12.95 in 1963. My one and only present that year.

I shot the daylights out of that rifle. Wore out the seals and had it rebuilt, then shot it for another 10 years until the kids were half grown. It disappeared mysteriously, as did a lot of my possession while I was attached to the X-wife.

That was the last shooting tool I ever got under the tree. Last one I ever got paid for with another persons' hard earned cash.

I suppose that little Ruger Ranch Rifle was an early Christmas present this year. Pretty good one too.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-08-2017 at 11:22 AM.

That seem to be that case in a lot of cases... unanswered dreams...LOL

Don't get me wrong....got a lot of cool stuff I had asked for..... including a Craftsman hatchet/bow saw....one year a 3/8 electric drill...was a tool guy even back then.
    Actually did get a Daisy BB gun one year....that was worn out shooting even in the winter in my basement...and was replaced by others over the years.

My big disappointment was a Winchester model '94 30-30........
    For some reason that was not considered??
    Of course MF had his Win mod 12 16 ga, MGF's .303 Savage,...the Crescent Arms 12 ga SS and a colt .32 cal....

So maybe the reason was that you waited for some one to die to get the "family gun".....back then.

Lusted after the Win '94 in the hardware store ..was about $80 bucks then.....ended up buying.. my... first .22 bolt action.

After marriage, house, kids, cars ...guns ended up on a back burner...with acquisitions being from someone....used....at a good deal.
    To this day I still carry stashed cash for the "bar or divorce" gun purchase....
    These day...not so much....

So over many years...DW would ask what I wanted for Christmas...I would say Win'mod '94 30-30...and she would say...Oh that is too much money....but then spend more on stuff I didn't want.....LOL

Gave up on that...and just do my own purchases and as long as everything else is paid for...So after a period of time and the want is still there...I just do it.
    Or Raffles...

Kyrat...You don't need to justify a "self gift"......You have earned the right to use the "Just Because" reason.

Merry Christmas.

BTW I still don't own a Winchester Model 1994 in 30-30.....to this day...
    Kinda of over it, though
    Last edited by hunter63; 12-08-2017 at 01:15 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I am sort of "over" the 30 carbine desire too. It has always been considered a marginal caliber, but I just wanted one due to it being light, handy and a good short range gun for predator and varmint control on the farm.

I wound up substituting your desire, the model 94 Winchester, for the carbine down through the years. There have been a few gaps in ownership but I have generally had a 94 Winchester around since the late 1970s when deer became common in my area. Back then used ones sold cheaper than surplus Mausers and Enfields. They are priced out of my purchase range now. Even Marlin 336 is too rich for my blood and I have picked them up for $25-$35 back in the day.

I did buy a Win '94 in .32 spl that was one of the "I need money for a divorce" deals...Killed a lot of deer with that...still have it and carry as a back up during deer season......

This is also my "Werewolf rifle" as I have a box of Silver tipped round for it.

Also had a Marlin 336 Trapper...short tube magazine... in 30-30....was gifted ...long story...

Was offered a centennial win 94 30-30...all the fancy engraving ...by a former forum member, that was a wheeler dealer or so he said...as he screwed over a bunch of people......

I had passed...fancy engraving is not something I value a lot...

So...if someone offered me a pre 64 (?)....but has to be brand new 94 30-30 for $50 bucks from a pawn shop....(alway hear about those unicorn rifles, never seen one).....I'd buy it...
    But as it is....I'm good.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Tool & Die Maker

I always wanted one of those .22 LR German lugers, Irma was the brand name for $49.95 back in about 1965. My Dad heard the Irma Lugers were prone to jams and talked me into a Ruger Mark II instead for the same price. My Dad was not a gun enthusiast at all but figured I got the green light to purchase a pistol so I better just go for it. Went to the local gun shop, walked in and walked out with the the Ruger at 15 years old. Imagine doing that today? Still have the Ruger today but never forgot about the Irma. I still talked about the Irma all my life. Finally, a relative told me about a 22 cal Lugar for sale at a gun shop still in the original box with a spare magazine. I drove 35 miles to the gun shop to look at it. Turns out it was made by Stoeger and it was in great shape so I bought it.

Nice gun but it jams ever 8-10 shots. Seems like the springs are to weak to consistently push a bullet from the magazine to the firing chamber. I have not fired it in many years because I have better guns to shoot, but I got the 22 cal German luger desire out of my system. I have concluded some guns are for shooting while others are more for looking at.

When I was young (sometime in the 70's) my dad always had the Shooter's Bible laying around, and the Shotgun News. I was obsessed with the M-16 and really wanted a replica in .22 LR. Now this was back before the M4 with all the rails and doo-dads, we're talking 'Nam era rifle. I never got one and now I have an M4-gery so it's kind of irrelevant but I sure wanted one when I was a boy. I remember being obsessed with the Luger as well.

if anyone gets the notion, I would really like a broomhandle mauser. It can be for Christmas, my birthday or just because.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

My other half always fusses that I never tell her what I want for Christmas/birthday, etc., but I have been asking for a Henry lever action .22 for a couple years now and still have not received one. LOL
    (I didn't even ask for a golden boy. I just want the cheaper one from Walmart.) Hahaha.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    if anyone gets the notion, I would really like a broomhandle mauser. It can be for Christmas, my birthday or just because.

LGS has a nice broom handle in the case but it is not the normal C96.

It is the one made for the Chinese in .45acp and they have it up there near $5K.

Big pistol! BIG-BIG pistol!

I always hated it when the people around me asked what I wanted for Christmas/birthday and when I told them the reply was, "you don't need that!" and then they would spend more than the cost of what I really wanted on useless crap that THEY really wanted with my name tacked on it.

I give the kids and grand kids gift cards now. My DD unloaded on me a couple years back about not "putting any thought" in the Christmas gifts and making them special. I told her that was absolutely correct, I did not put any thought into it because I did not know what a 10 and 15 year old girl in 201? wanted and it wold probably scare me to death if I did.

I know exactly what my 18 year old grand-son wants but if I put it under the tree I would be arrested for human trafficking.

make no mistake, I need a broomhandle mauser lol. It's on my short list and I'm getting closer by the day. When I was a kid my father had one but it was rough. It had a original shoulder stock holster. I don't need a fancy one, just looking for a shooter. Dear Santa.......lol

If you get two you can give me the other one. Please. (I said please).

Ooooo I had a Daisy BB rifle growing up... man those things where fun,
    ummmm what do I want to see under the tree this year, hmmmm...
    I would actually like a Tops Brother's of bushcraft knife...
    ummm A new folding saw a silky saw
    ummm cotton long pants and shirt,
    wool out door pants and long top...
    ummm a shemaag..
    a wool blanket.
    hmmm...
    That's about it for my actual wish list, but I am likely to buy these things myself as and when I can.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 12-11-2017 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    My other half always fusses that I never tell her what I want for Christmas/birthday, etc., but I have been asking for a Henry lever action .22 for a couple years now and still have not received one. LOL
    (I didn't even ask for a golden boy. I just want the cheaper one from Walmart.) Hahaha.
    UPDATE: Wife got me the Henry .22 levergun, for Christmas !!!!! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"