Thread: range day, RRR 7.62x

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default range day, RRR 7.62x

Had some good weather a couple of days ago so I ran to the range to zero the new scope I had mounted on the RRR. I had taken the 3-9 scope off and installed a forward rail and a 2.5 long eye relief scope w/illuminated cross hairs.

I did the LER scope to improve the carrying balance of the rifle more than anything else. The LER mount allows me to grasp the rifle at the balance point with no scope or hardware in the way. It carries real nice even with the longer 30 round magazine.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I started at 25 yards and fired one shot off the bore sighted rig. I was about 1/2" left so I made my 25 yard correction and moved to 100 yards without firing a second shot.

My next 3 shots went into the 1 1/4" group shown but it was 2 1/2" right of center. I had over corrected on the first adjustment. I made my adjustments and called it quits.

Before I could get packed up and leave the range about half the local LEO n the county arrived on sight with all the AR rifles they could find, but what did they want to play with?

Not their trick rifles but my little RRR in 7.62x39!

They produced a box of Wolf steel case and very politely asked if they could try the rifle out.

Fact was they looked like Ralphie slobbering over a Red Ryder BB gun and I could not help but let them fire a couple of rounds each.

They were as excited over firing a LER scope as they were the fact that is was a 7.62x39. They were really amazed that the 2.5 pistol scope would put surplus ammo into near 1 inch groups for everyone that touched it.

I think I sold about 3 or 4 before I left.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-01-2017 at 04:32 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

I always got the impression 7.62x39 was not an accurate round, maybe that was when fired from an AK47. Thought about buying a 7.62 because the ammo is cheap, not sure that applies now.

9mm, TULammo, at a Florida Wal-mart, $7.75/box. Expect 1 dud per 100. I'm taking some back to Illinois .

Nice job....Not a big fan of LER scopes....but that came out like it was made for it.

Peeest...gotta move that scope over a tad....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    I always got the impression 7.62x39 was not an accurate round, maybe that was when fired from an AK47. Thought about buying a 7.62 because the ammo is cheap, not sure that applies now.

9mm, TULammo, at a Florida Wal-mart, $7.75/box. Expect 1 dud per 100. I'm taking some back to Illinois .
    You are buying at the wrong place Jim, and not buying enough at a time.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...Box&groupid=39

Aim also has .223/5.56 at $3.99 a box of 20.

$8 a box is about right for 9mm steel case. $0.16 per shot is not bad.

If you are getting one dud per box you probably have a hammer spring problem. Tula primers are very hard and require a good smack. All the Tula is made that way due to being run through the full auto military actions it was designed for.

The primers on Wolf seem to be a little softer and wolf has a push rather than a slam to the recoil cycle.

I also find Tula to be a little hotter than other ammo.

As for SKS ad AK accuracy?? Just like any other situation that depends on the gun and the shooter. I have an SKS that will go 3" at 100 yards no problem. I have an AK that will shoot into 1 1/2" @ 100.

Now that shooting is off a rest and using a scope. Most people testing those rifles want to stand out in the open and blaze away and never get the Iron sights lined up properly. Of course the rifles are not shooting well for them! They would not get a 6" group out of a 30-30 lever gun, an M1 or a custom sniper rifle under those conditions.

Accuracy reports that are not done off a rest and using a well mounted scope are not worth reading, but the myth of the bad accuracy from an AK continues.

I did fix the group placement shown on the target. It is easy to forget the math and I think I should have fire a second shot at 25 yards to check my corrections. Do you turn 8 clicks per inch or 16 clicks? Is this one set up for 1/4" per click or 1/2" per click? It gets blurry. Apparently I spun way to many clicks on that particular dial.

At any rate that group got ten clicks adjustment to the left and it was right from that point.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-02-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?