Thread: Alone in the Jungle, except for homeless people

Tool & Die Maker

Default Alone in the Jungle, except for homeless people

Wild hog hunting in Florida always has never ending twists. This morning I'm looking for the trail to my treestand
    at 4:45 am. From the road I can see 2 hogs already in my bait pile through my thermo imaging scope, 80 yards away. I figure I'll try to sneak up on them and maybe get a shot. I'm trying not to step on a stick or trip over something. Next, I hear faint voices. I check my cell phone, nothing there. I walk back to the road, pitch black dark, turn on a flashlight and see a man in his early 20's. I asked him, "what are you doing out here"? He says, "I'm homeless, I apologize for my generation, I like you your gun". I say, "I like my gun as well, ya know there are help wanted signs all over town".
    He talks some more and I interrupt and say ,"I need to get in my treestand". Ok, goodby.

Now I wonder where in the heck this guy came from and wonder if could have attacked me while I was walking down the road? So dark out there I barely know when I'm walking on pavement.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 11-21-2017 at 12:45 PM.

You just never know...glad it turned out alright.

I think I would have called the sheriff to let them know that you had found someone "that needed help".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    You just never know...glad it turned out alright.

I think I would have called the sheriff to let them know that you had found someone "that needed help".
    Funny you say that because on my way home I was thinking about contacting the police. About that time a County Sherriff car came along. I waved him down and told them what happened. He said there are homeless people all over this area and thanked me for the heads up, told me to be careful hunting.

I wonder where the kid came from and where did he go. Never seen homeless people in this area before

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Hobos headed south for the winter.

That or the Girlfriend got tired of supporting him and kicked him out, so he considers himself disadvantaged.

Be careful, hunting gear sells good at the flea markets and you have a truck full. He could probably get $50-$75 for that thermal imaging scope!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

We've had similar things happen to us. From unmedicated schizophrenics to angry suspicious young men. As bad as this sounds, I don't engage these people or even hesitate walking. Kelly found a women's body once under a bridge. Probably a suicide but who knew if there was some killer in the woods watching. We hotfooted it to the truck while on the phone with 911. Pretty sad.

Have to be aware...at all times.

Had my neighbor call me out at "The Place".....ask me to meet him on the road....suspicious panel van was stopped.
    Jumped on the 4 wheeler. drove down the road.....had the rifle on the rack....

Stopped behind the van about 50 feet and was writing down the license number .
    Neighbor was talking to the guy what was coming across his field from the river bottom, headed back toward the van..
    Guy said he just was taking a dump?

Second guy got out from the service door on the passenger side...walking back toward the rear of the van.....saw me and stopped...got back in......other guy gets in...and they take off.

Neighbor called the sheriff, gave them the plate number.....learned later the van was stolen in Illinois .....and was stopped there.

Never did find out what the whole deal was....but sounds like it may have turned out different had I not been there as back up...????

i'll say this these may be a few examples of homelessness in america.
    and i'm more than sure there are many more,
    but to lable an entire group of our own countrymen numbering in the millions.
    many of which are combat vets. i know this for a fact i've met too many
    in the past and everyones reason for bieing there difers at times,

thing is this let us give thanks that we ourselves our not in this position.
    given the economy we live in .anyone here can find them selves on the skids
    cause of just a couple medical bills. don't kid yourself.

thievery just cause one is homeless is no damm excuse period.
    these days since 07 many of our nations homeless are familes.
    former homeowners even. so let us give thanks this season for what we have.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

Huh? Nobody was dispariging anybody.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    i'll say this these may be a few examples of homelessness in america.
    and i'm more than sure there are many more,
    but to lable an entire group of our own countrymen numbering in the millions.
    many of which are combat vets. i know this for a fact i've met too many
    in the past and everyones reason for bieing there difers at times,

thing is this let us give thanks that we ourselves our not in this position.
    given the economy we live in .anyone here can find them selves on the skids
    cause of just a couple medical bills. don't kid yourself.

thievery just cause one is homeless is no damm excuse period.
    these days since 07 many of our nations homeless are familes.
    former homeowners even. so let us give thanks this season for what we have.
    As the OP was a personal experience....meeting a stranger in the boonies...in the dark....alone....I gonna guess that state of the economy, and the homeless population in general......doesn't really apply.

I'm fortunate that I hunt private, fenced property. Homeless wanderers get held for ICE pickup these days. I used to feed them and put them to work. Not any more. All others are treated as trespassers and held for SO pickup. This is all speculative since I haven't had any of the former in quite some time and none of the latter ever.

Besides, IF any homeless folk show up out where we are something very bad has happened everywhere else.

I suppose that if I were to find myself homeless, then living in the woods would be one of my first choices. But, living in the woods, even as inviting as it sounds at times, is not conducive to becoming un-homeless. Now were it on my own land I could probably make a go of it but just the average Joe Homeless doesn't have a plot of land to make a homestead.

The trouble with most Homeless folks is not that circumstantial financial breakdown, it is a long history of unfortunate circumstances that involves bad decisions, drugs, alcohol, and a greater knowledge of the criminal justice system based on personal experience than most of us have.

If it were just a situational thing, it would not be a problem. #1 wife came home from the grocery store the other day saying that there is no excuse for anyone being hungry in America. Canned green beans were 29 cents and a dozen eggs was 49 cents. Plus tax of course.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 11-22-2017 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post

Now I wonder where in the heck this guy came from and wonder if could have attacked me while I was walking down the road? So dark out there I barely know when I'm walking on pavement.
    He sure would have needed a big "pair" to attack a guy walking in the dark with night vision-equipped AR! Brave or suicidal. I sure wouldn't be feeling froggy if I were in his shoes.

That's exactly why I carry a concealed why hunting if I have my rifle taken I still have options
    Semper Paratus

I'd be thinking of the other person I didn't see when I returned to the road.

the mere presence of a firearm will not deter some people
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I think the sad thing in all this is the drugs that have ruined our country.
    i've seen firsthand the whole damm thing, homeless druggies, mentally disturbed
    drunks and just those down and out. i guess it all matters who you run into.
    some folks on the skids are for varoius reasons more challenged than others.
    the culture on the street trully is different. i can say this cause i was on the skids
    for 5yrs. and seen it all pretty much. i had jobs and never had a thought about
    stealing peoples stuff, most folks on the street have a code so to speak,
    you don't f*&$ with others peoples camp or stuff.
    it's just how it is.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.