Thread: NOAA Weather Alert System Opinion

Default NOAA Weather Alert System Opinion

Opinion

I see where a new alert is being proposed to add the the NOAA Weather Alert System...
    The green alert:
    http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/...-risk-veterans

THis is proposed to be added to the Silver Alert, Amber Alert, ...along with a bunch of other "warnings"

When it started it was a weather alerts....and other disasters...earth quake, chemical spills, flooding etc'

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/
    Quote>
    Working with the Federal Communication Commission's (FCC) Emergency Alert System , NWR is an "All Hazards" radio network, making it your single source for comprehensive weather and emergency information. In conjunction with Federal, State, and Local Emergency Managers and other public officials, NWR also broadcasts warning and post-event information for all types of hazards – including natural (such as earthquakes or avalanches), environmental (such as chemical releases or oil spills), and public safety (such as AMBER alerts or 911 Telephone outages). <
    Quote.

During tornado season we depend on this as there isn't a basement or storm cellar.......

BUT
    I really hate being woke up at 3;00 AM by that alert....not knowing if I looking at a life threatening event...
    OR
    Grandpaw wandered off, some one took off with a kid....and now vet in trouble.....?
    I may be a bad person....but

Seems to me the "extra alerts" dilute the original intent...?

Why not 2 different channels?

I have shut mine off.....Too much crying wolf.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Same for the Weather Channel Hunter. Ever since it was gobbled up by MSNBC or whoever it has become a politicized soap opera rather than a station where you could get a weather forecast.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Sad........But you are correct.

I get my alerts on my phone and my computer. I can customize both to allow me to see what I want to see so I am not awakened in the middle of the night because a 30 year old guy didn't make it home from the bar and his wife is in a panic. (He'll be in a panic tomorrow when she finds out where he spent the night). In any case, I gave up the weather radios to use a phone app and it works a whole lot better. Check your county Emergency Management and see if they offer an app. That's what I use.

Flip phones don't have an app........

The weather radio alerts do become annoying sometimes. Their "we're going to let you know about everything" has ---- on occasion caused a situation where they let me know of nothing.........since the radio was off.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The weather radio alerts do become annoying sometimes. Their "we're going to let you know about everything" has ---- on occasion caused a situation where they let me know of nothing.........since the radio was off.
    So is mine most of the time......doesn't do much good.

I e-mailed my concerns about diluting the weather alerts....to the TV station tha ran the story of the Green alert.....
    I do not expect a answer.

Where I live NOAA does not even have mediocre weather radar coverage, and unless you live in a town, cell phones are just expensive junk. Every town around us has fiber optic cable phone systems. Not ours. The cable came through town - they hooked up the Law Enforcement Center and he County Hospital - and moved on!

You know cell phones use cell towers, right? Your cell coverage will be dependent on the cell provider you use and your distance from the nearest tower.

NOAA needs to stick to weather forecasting and get good at it again. Now days I think they look outside, stick their hand out to see if it gets wet, cold, hot or whatever. NOAA was just like all government agencies over the last decade. They were infiltrated by people unqualified for the job.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    NOAA needs to stick to weather forecasting and get good at it again. Now days I think they look outside, stick their hand out to see if it gets wet, cold, hot or whatever. NOAA was just like all government agencies over the last decade. They were infiltrated by people unqualified for the job.

Alan
    No Ship.......My point.....
    All the TV stations push their apps, facebook , etc...for alerts...some cities had shut down tornado sirens (most are left over from the 1960's....but not replace with anything other than your TV or cell phone app.

My TV is Dish....bad weather shuts it down, .....cable screwed me over a couple of years ago....so that is not an option.
    I do get text alerts on my flip phone...
    Still make me wonder how many folks that still have land lines, simple cell phones and regular TV ...that do not deal with technology well.
    Last edited by hunter63; 11-18-2017 at 12:37 AM.

Got a response back from channel 4......standard auto number 2

Good Evening John,

Viewer feedback is incredibly important to us at TODAY'S TMJ4. It is a valuable resource in evaluating our performance. Thank you for taking the time to email us. We appreciate your viewership and your comments. Have a good day.

I guess I expected that....LOL

When you line where the population of the whole county is 7234 and the state is less than 600000, they just do not find that much profit in building cell towers

It's an old government agency and to be honest I tossed out my old Radio Shack monitors a long time ago. They are just trying to be relevant. I am with Rick on this one - My weather Channel App is awesome. As for coverage check this out

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Well, it's not about population either. You have interstate 90 running through there and Rapid City next door. Trust me, that generates revenue. I was through there two years ago and never had a problem with coverage. Who is your provider?

If you drive from Rapid city SD to Gillette WY on US highway 16 the cell towers are few and FAR between. Beyond 5 to 7 miles outside of a towns the coverage is spotty to nonexistent. The AT&T local coverage maps are an outright lie.