Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me choose the firestarter as a present for my dad

“There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Loving the old school stuff there wise old Owl.
    certainly will be something a dad would appreciate.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Blog Entries

Clearly an older thread since the last reply is dated 2017, but I'll put my own two cents in anyways.

I would make one of two choice.

1. Amazon and other sites carry the BAYITE brand ferro rods. They truly amazing ferro rods, standing I can throw sparks that stay lit almost until they hit the ground. It's six inches long and a half inch thick with a lanyard hold to attach it to cordage and wear it as a necklace or tie it to your pack.

2. Look at the B.O.S.S Fire making kit. There is two, a smaller one and a larger one, I got the larger one. Not only does it come with a good ferro rod and striker, it comes with char cloth, magnesium capsules, several golf pencil sized fatwood sticks with pencil sharpener to shave them down, a small box of wooden matches, a mini Bic lighter, jute twine, 2 tea light candles, a bearing for the top of a bow drill spindle, and much more for fire making. It is a great little kit and truly a saviour when you need a fire. This, in my opinion as a survivalist and a father, would make an awesome gift for any holiday. And it's only about $20-$30 dollars and comes with more ways to make fire than just a single ferro rod.

That's my two cents, hope it helps for future buys.

FWIW, I routinely use a LMF to light my canister stoves - for up to two weeks at a time. Great tool. I like that the ferro rod is securely attached to the handle and not out on the sheath. Cuts up the bacon very nicely, as well.