Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short changed 3 times in a week

Tool & Die Maker

Default Short changed 3 times in a week

I'm not real fond of credit cards since I have been hacked a few times. We go to Florida I carry cash, cash for gas, cash for food. We have a lockable safe in the RV where I pull out $100 cash at a time. We are at a nice restaurant, the check is $25 plus some change, I have exact change to make it easy and hand the waitress a $100 bill, waitress shorts me $10.

I buy $25 of gas in the car, hand the teller a $100 bill, she hands me a stack of bills, I count them and say this doesn't look like $75? Teller argues a little, counts out the bills and says $75. I count the bills and say $65.
    After 3 counts the teller comes up with $65, hands me a $10 bill.

At a Ma & Pa restaurant, I pay with $100 bill, get short changed $10 again.

Am I better off using a credit card?

If you're coming down the I-75 or I-95 corridor, you have to be careful. DO NOT use a card in southern GA. It's notorious for credit card rip offs. But really that can happen any where. If you want to be real safe, break that 100 down and don't flash a wad in line. I got hacked in Ocala FL. They caught it once in Valdosta GA. Your tag is a flag to crooks of all kinds.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

OK, first what nice restaurant are you going to where diner for two cost $25?

Second, break your big bills up before making your purchase. Most big grocery stores are glad to do that at the customer service counter. At the customer service counter they do not even expect you to buy a pack of gum, especially if they recognize you as a regular customer.

I have two accounts at two banks. One is for accounting and monthly bill paying, the other for weekly cash usage where I withdraw what I need to avoid using the card daily. The ATM dispenses the cash in $20 bills ad solves that $100 bill problem.

I was hacked once. They sent me a sympathy card and deposited $20 to my account.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-13-2017 at 09:45 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

[QUOTE=kyratshooter;507674]OK, first what nice restaurant are you going to where diner for two cost $25?

/QUOTE]

Bayport, East of Brooksville, Monday special is 2 dinners for the price of one, extra cup of chowder, no drinks, broiled seafood platter, $25.08

Cody"s, Crystal River, (others) Wednesday special, 2 steak fajita's for price of one, 2 for one beers, FREE peanuts. $18 check

Luigi's, Homosassa, broiled haddock, with desert, no drinks, 2 dinners, $15. Weekend buffet $8.00

Conceal carry recommended, all 3
    Last edited by jim Glass; 11-13-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Only places in my area where you get two dinners for less than $25 there is a huge chance of a visit to the ER being mandatory within a day or two.

I don't think too many people can make change is cash......nor do they want to......Many have the "WTH is this deer in the headlights look....so watching closely is mandatory.
    They want you to swipe your phone.........LOL

I use CC (thru my bank)big items, for fuel, lodging, grocery and department stores while traveling.....
    Also use ATM's they dispense $20's....for most everything else.
    Like carrying a couple of low limit cards...$1000 bucks ormless...so worst case...that's limit of purchases.

Have small stashes under $200 bucks in my luggage, vehicle, wallet.....

I like using a bank CC as I can call ahead, let them know where I going....so if the number gets lifted, and if used elsewhere outside of AO...gets flagged...and turned down. ...

Actually this backfired in La....the store took the card... the CC requested phone verification...DW's cell, no service....wouldn't take it
    Also that meant wouldn't take a check...same phone thing...so had to use the "tucky" money

Using $20's allows you to add to your amount......so as not to need change....if you do it would be under $20 bucks.

"Tucky" money...$100 and $50's in the back of wallet JIC ...where it's not being flashed....very rarely used.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The things us old folks will do to use cash and avoid flashing the $ta$h.

I am so cheap that the bank sends me an E-mail when I buy gasoline with the CC, as an unusually large purchase.

Jim Glass, you should understand you're dealing with "Alternative Math." You are not being politically correct by questioning the mathematics of the various cashiers. Shame on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Zh3Yz3PiXZw

Watch and adjust your attitude.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Break the 100's. One easy way is to go to a self checkout lane (Walmart and others have em).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If your credit card is used by someone unauthorized you are restricted by law to no more than $50. The credit card company has to incur the rest of the cost. Generally, if it is a bank card your bank will refund the entire amount. Traveling and handing out 100s is a good way to get bonked on the head on the way out to the car. I won't even deal with 100s around here. $50s are the largest bills I will carry. I don't even want to invite anyone to look at the round end of my CCW.

It's not the charge on the card that'll decimate you. . It's the identity theft.

No one on this planet wants to be mistaken for ME!

Besides, with the hack of the Equifax system back in the spring the information of every person with a credit rating, virtually every consumer in the nation, is available.

I don't ever use cash if I can help it. My CC pays me 5% on gas, 4% at restaurants and 2%-3% on everything else. If I make three or four purchases, they call me and make sure I'm me, buying stuff and I have my card. I have 6 - 50$ bills in my wallet that are mashed as flat as bills can get because they've been in there so long. They take up less room than a card. One time CC Co. called and I had not made the purchase. They stopped the payment before it went through because it looked funny and called me. If an unauthorized charge ever occurs they cover it.

I NEVER use a debit card for any reason except at my bank. Sometimes I have to have a little cash.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    No one on this planet wants to be mistaken for ME!

Besides, with the hack of the Equifax system back in the spring the information of every person with a credit rating, virtually every consumer in the nation, is available.
    This is me as well. If anyone stole my identity they would give it back, they'd have to find me first though.

Alan

It seems like most gas stations are pay at the pump or prepay. I find it a major PIA because I use cash for everything, don't like CC. Use mostly 20 dollar bills.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Yea I am a cash type of guy . Just counted my wallet . It has 6 $20s 3 $10s 7 $5s and 9 $1s. I can get real close to the dollar amount. I do start the day with no coins in my pocket . My change jars have been known to buy me a motor when needed.

So far my worst experience of short changing me ...or screwing me over...was my bank.

Headed down south to deer hunt....stopped at the bank on friday morning to cash my paycheck, make a deposit...checked my receipt and counted my change......Everything good.

Left to go hunting.......when I got back saturday evening to my friends house,... where I was staying....he wife says my wife called.
    Called her back...she was saying the back had called and they gave me too much money.
    Next day was sunday...so was going to wait till monday to find out what was going on.

Monday I called.....They said they had given me $90 bucks too much?
    Told them I would be back in a couple of days...I would stop in and see what was going on.

Thursday DD called and told me she had been stopped in the drive through...they wanted to know if I was a relation.....She says ...That's my dad
    They told her to call me to get back and give them back the money I stole.......WHF
    Got back on wednesday...stopped in was greeted by a very unpleasant old lady..with a print out (big whoop, I can go home and make my own.....and demanded I give the $90 bucks back?

Told her they had NOT given me too much cash back...and how in heck do you get $90 bucks?.....You have to mix bills for that....????
    Bills sticking together...maybe $50, $20.......but $90?

Also told her I was NOT gonna give anything back...That I wanted to see the manager...He wasn't there.

He did call and asked what we could do to resolve this....
    Told him to pick a charity...I would donate to them...but he/they were not gonna it from me.

I had contacted my lawyer already...told they had no business discussing my banking with DD and a car full of teens.
    ...And accused me of stealing their money.

Now maybe the girl at the window had pocketed it?...that's about what a pkg of cocaine was going for at the time... ???..
    They just said it was resolved......

Quit that bank....
    Read awhile later in the paper that a VP had been arrested for making out fake loans and embezzling customers money.

Still to this day don't know what happened to the $90 bucks.

Side note...Saloon trick

When paying cash in a place you are not familiar with...using a bigger bill....tear as small piece of the corner off.....hang on to it.
    So if the says you gave him a $10 when you had used a $20 and shorts you change...ask to see the bills......and all of a sudden ..you are correct...woops.
    Last edited by hunter63; 11-13-2017 at 09:55 PM.

100’s for the times when purchasing a high dollar item in private sales. CC for businesses. Smaller denominations for speed and simplicity of small purchases and tips. Keep a little stash for power outage related CC problems. I’ve encountered a few weather related predators for goods and services. Mostly cabs.

I have paid cash...$100's for work done.....in the past the guy may knock off a couple of hundred buck for cash, not so much lately.

The first thing I thought of when I read the OP was my niece, who on graduation from high school turned down a good job because the cash register she would have to used did not show the change she would have to return to the customer.

The girl made top grades and had a full ride scholarship to the local university.

Part of the change problem is the functional intelligence of the clerks. We have advanced to the point that not only can they not make change without the computer, they also can not pull the proper bills to total what the computer says.

They may do fine if the register says $80 and they have 4 twenties, but Lord help you if they have to scramble up two $20s, a $10 and six $5 dollar bills!