Thread: First Wild hog hunt

Tool & Die Maker

Default First Wild hog hunt

My first night out hog hunting and only 90 minutes after sundown. I was having so much fun taking pictures of the hog I didn't shoot him. I just didn't feel like dressing out a hog tonight. At one point the hog was only 20 feet away. It was quite a thrill actually. Pictures taken with a Pulsar XQ38 Trail thermo imaging rifle scope. It also takes video, and it has a WiFi.

What's that noise:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Holy crap, a wild hog, didn't think I would see anything tonight, the perfect shot, but do I feel like dressing out a hog tonight, Naaa, having to much fun taking pictures:

Oh boy, here he is 20' away, am I going to regret not shooting this bad boy tonight, I think I'll just watch him and see what I can learn.

Hope you guys enjoyed these as much as I did taking the pictures.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 11-18-2017 at 08:39 PM.

That's pretty slick!

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Great pic's........
    I have done the "Wow would ya look at that?"and just enjoy the show,..... many times......and seems to be more these days...

Hunting isn't always about killing.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That is very true.

I once watched a coyote chase a doe and her yearling fawn past my tree stand, let the deer go and killed the coyote. I called it a day well spent and went home.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That looks like a nice scope. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    That is very true.

I once watched a coyote chase a doe and her yearling fawn past my tree stand, let the deer go and killed the coyote. I called it a day well spent and went home.
    In "Roughing It", Mark Twain called coyotes "the personification of want."

Edited to correct.

"...a living, breathing allegory of Want."

Here's the full description: http://www.coyotetale.net/roughing.php
    Last edited by JohnLeePettimore; 11-09-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Tool & Die Maker

Took a guest hunter out for a sundown hunt yesterday. I loaned him my 9mm AR-15 with iron sights. He got the most perfect shot (30 yards) and "missed". The hogs are out during daylight hours these days. If I had known that I would have brought my Bushnell, AR Optic, 3-12x 40mm scope for daylight shooting. All I have with me is night time shooting stuff except for iron sights.

Lots of hogs around these day, only a matter of time before we bag one.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 11-15-2017 at 10:46 AM.

If you need an "optic" of some kind to slap on the 9mm run down to Walmart.

They still have scopes starting about $25 and going up from there. A cheap one should do fine for a quick fix on the 9mm with low recoil.

Even if you want a better optic on the rifle latter you can put the cheap one on a .22 or something.

They also have cheap red dots but I have lost faith in saving coins on those items. You really do not get something that will hold up until you cross the $100 mark, and even then you must be careful that you are not just getting a cheap one that is marked up.

Best thing about a red dot on an AR platform is that normally the iron sights will co-witness so you do not have to spend a lot of time sighting in the optic at the range.

Tool & Die Maker

Went back out to the same place as yesterday, alone. My trail camera has shown this 115 lb black hog showing up at 4:40 PM. He remains on site until he has eaten all of the cracked corn bait. I setup at 4:00 pm for an ambush. Sure enough, 4:40pm I see him trudging through the jungle to the bait pile, ever so confidently. I turn on the thermo imaging scope and switch off the gun safety. When he clears and large tree and is in full view I'm going to let him have it. He clears the tree but all I see is his head, finally he turns sideways and I aim at his throad just ahead of the front legs. I'm so excited I never think of zooming in, also forget to take pictures. I jerk the trigger back just like some idiot that never shot a gun before. I expect to hear the hog squeal and start kicking his feet, but No. He never even flinched and ran full speed back into the jungle. I couldn't of missed, I just couldn't have. I have a gun site worth thousands of dollars, I couldn't have missed. I climb down from the tree stand and search for the hog. Nothing, not even a blood trail.
    "I missed"!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jim Glass; 11-15-2017 at 09:28 PM.

That not unusual.....Happens all this time....
    That why it called hunting....not shooting..

I once watch the biggest buck walk though....just thinking "Wow. would you look at that"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Tool & Die Maker

Out again this morning. I was looking at my scope setup and was reminded the scope is 2 or 3" above the centerline of the barrel. The hog I shot at wasn't that large. He was so close If I aimed just a tad low the shot could have easily passed under the hog. I need to "ZERO" in the scope with a 30 yard profile. Right now it is sighted in at 60 yards. I would also like to "ZERO" it at
    100 yards. This scope can be zero'd for different rifles, different ammo and different distances. No idea how I'm supposed to keep track of all this data. This high tech equipment is for people that were born with an Iphone in there hands.

Or, I can try to remember to just aim high at hogs in close range.

Going out again tonight. The wife plays cards tonight with the women at the club house so I'll be on my own for a few hours. This hog hunting is way more fun than drinking beer.

Jim, when one "zeros" an AR is should be done at 35-37 yards for the short range sighting.

That will put the first crossing of the bullet/POA at the 37 yard mark, the bullet will travel up in trajectory and fall through the POA again at 200. 35-37 yards is used rather then 25 yards due to the height of the sights over the bore.

You then have two "dead on" points at 35 yards and 200 yards. You will be about 1/2"" high at 100 yards and about 6" low at 300. You should be able to hit the pig anywhere from the muzzle to 300 yards without holding over or under.

Almost everyone over estimates the amount of drop on the .223 cartridge, especially the 55 grain bullet.

A 100 yard sighting is not recommended unless one has a scope collated with an internal adjustment for various ranges. Then you sight in short at 37 and fine tune at 100 yards with the scope on the 100 yard setting.

Sighting at 100 yards is not the common mark for these military rifles. They are designed to zero at 200, as a "combat zero". Sighting at 100 yards gives too much calculation, too much range estimation, and requires too much thought about trajectory at the various ranges. It is not going to give a "dead on" sight at easy ranges to remember. A rifle designed for combat, and for hunting, needs a trajectory and sight in that requires as little calculation, range estimation and thought as possible.

If you are shooting the 9mm then zero at 50 yards. You will be 1/2" high (not enough to worry over) at 30-35 yards and 5 inches low at 100. The bullet falls so fast after 100 yards that most ballistic tables do not list past 100.

If you are there in Florida and have no range to use for sighting in then bore sight at 25-30 yards and forget the difference. At 30 yards you are not going to be far enough off to miss.

http://www.federalpremium.com/ballistics_calculator/
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-16-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Tool & Die Maker

Thanks for the info: Last night I got out my bore sight jig and laser bore sitter and setup at 30 yards. While I can't say it is perfect, I can say it isn't far off either. I'll go shooting with my brother-in-law next week and properly sight in the scope then.

UPDATE: Got the bore sight jig out again and did a bore sight check at 30 yards. Turns out the scope
    was out of calibration by a considerable amount so I ZERO'd again. Either I bumped the scope or the 1200 mile trip did something to it. I'm more confident I'll hit the next hog.

Next hog, I'll take my time, zoom in, and use better trigger pull. The 9mm is dead on at 50 yards with iron sights. Good chance i'll get another shot tonight. Going out alone.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 11-16-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Jim, those laser pointer cartridge inserts and the ones that go into the muzzle are wildly inaccurate. Most of the time I can not even get onto the paper at 25 yards using them and I have been off the paper, a 24"x 24" square, many times at 25 yards.

One of the problems is that no one actually uses the full distance, 25-35 yards, when they have one of those. And when I try for the full distance the laser dot fades at that range in daylight conditions.

Last time I tried using one of them I wound up bore sighting through the barrel when I got to the range to even get on the target. Bore sighting by eye is more accurate in my experience.

I checked one of the muzzle insert devices using a .45 which I know the sights to be dead on. The laser was pointing 2 feet left and a foot low at 50 feet. If I had adjusted to the laser I would have missed a man sized target the distance of my hall to living room by nearly a foot.

The only one I will use on a regular basis is a 12 gauge insert that happens to be set up dead on. It is real nice to know the pattern on a shotgun is somewhere near the bead on a new gun before patterning, but they are too poor for use with a rifle.