Thread: WOW open carry in Tennessee

Tool & Die Maker

Default WOW open carry in Tennessee

Made it to Florida yesterday. We stopped at a truck stop on I-65 called the Tennessean. Found the place years ago during an ice storm so now we stop there all the time. Nice Buffet there. Met a guy there wearing street clothes with a Ruger Semi-auto on his belt. I said to him, "open carry"? He said ,"Ya open carry is legal in Tennessee". I told him I didn't know that. Then he got out his permit to show me. I told him I had know doubt he was legal just never seen open carry before. Pointed it out to my wife, she thought it was cool. We visited a little and left. Just as we were leaving he approached my motorhome to tell me, "A war starts today". I said, "WOW, who with the Korean's"? He said, "No, white liberteens" or something like that.

Any idea what this was about? Makes me want to drive through Dry Ridge Tennessee someday.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 11-06-2017 at 09:48 AM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

We are getting into the political realm here, but the guy was probably referring to the planned Antifa call to action on November 4.

It was uneventful, as if most of the members forgot to put it on their calendar.

Antifa should know better than planning a revolution on Saturday. Everyone is to hung over or strung out from Friday night to revolt on Saturday!

I am surprised that Tennessee has embraced open carry! I lived there for 50 years and left due to the repressive legal structure and firearms laws.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 11-06-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Kyrat here in Tennessee we keep slipping conservative in on the republican establishment . There is a slight hope that in the next 5 years we will get constitutional carry . They did away with the knife laws a few years ago .

As it turns out the "plan" existed only in the fever dreams of Faux News.

Open carry is legal in Indiana as well. The carry license is just that. It does not specify conceal or open so the choice is your. You won't see too many that open carry unless you are in the woods. Not many advertise.

Open carry is legal in Delaware, too. No permit required if you are otherwise legally allowed to own a handgun. You still need a ccdw permit to carry concealed, though.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Tool & Die Maker

Open carry has advantages. An assailant will know who has self defense and who does not and will ask themselves if they really want to rob or harass someone with a weapon. Chicago should take a look at open carry but not sure how many people could pass the back ground checks for the license.

Florida seems to have their own system where most people have at least 2 guns in every vehicle and an open container. Went to Bayport for dinner last night. Wife saw me put my 380 in the console of the Ford Focus. She snarls and says, "that's not loaded is it"? I asked her "what good is gun that's not loaded"? I have already had two episodes with assailants in Florida, I'm not going to stop conceal carrying now.

How about those Texans??

First hog hunt tonight!!!! Tree stand is all setup

The other side of the coin is if you don't open carry the bad guys don't know if you are or if you aren't. That tends to keep crime down if they think there's a really good chance they may get their head handed to them in pieces. We have a castle law that extends to our vehicle and we don't have to announce or back down. So.......

Open carry legal in Militagun (Michigan)
    Semper Paratus

I'm about as hip to open carry in FL as I am to bump stocks. I don't really care. We actually have open carry if we are in route to hunt, fish, camp, or go to the rifle range. Or we are at those places. I wouldn't open carry at Walmart even if it was legal. It's not worth the confrontations for me.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

No confrontations here. Kentucky has been open carry since it was organized as a state in 1792.

After 225 years I suppose most people are accustomed to it. I seldom go to a well attended market or meeting and not see at least one person with a pistol in their belt.

The local Walmart almost has a "prettiest gun contest" on weekends. Tricked out 1911s, nice double action revolvers with fancy wood grips. I nearly won wearing my nickel plated SAA with ivory grips one weekend! It's way better than looking at all those dull colored poly framed pistols.

Now the trend of carrying rifles and shotguns "open carry" I feel is a bit absurd. That is not a move for self defense but a cry for attention.

And I do see open carry as making one a target if there is an organized attack on the place one is occupying while carrying. If the aggressor has any training or common sense at all the first people they take out are going to be the ones with guns visible, and capable of resistance.

I read a while back that in almost every case of a police involved shooting, they "open carry" too, if the cop did not get the first shot off they wound up either wounded or dead.

I don't care what the other guy does but for me, unless it is a special circumstance, I would prefer to keep my state of readiness unknown and reveal it as a surprise at the proper moment. That was the primary reason I got my CCW.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

We saw a confrontation somewhere in Arizona decades ago. Maybe Sedona. There was a shop selling pelts. I was waiting for my wife to browse the jewelry when in walked a "groovy" couple. She looked around aghast. "Are those REAL animal skins!!!!" The proprietor tried to be cool but she started a very loud rant and he asked her to leave. uh huh. So he walked from around the counter with a big sixgun on his hip. Hands up in the "take it easy" position. She completely flaked out. Everyone left the shop and she started screaming for the police. The owner was more than happy to see the uniform show up and deal with her.