Thread: things come back around

Default things come back around

Awhile ago I posted about some old stubby brown bottles that I had found in the woods. They are probably blatz or PBR bottles. I corked up some Ed's Red in the ones I found. Anyhoo the the other day I picked up some aussie ginger beer, NA, in a stubby brown bottle. I thought how quaint. Then the other day I saw some budweiser in the same stubby brown bottles. some things never change at least not for long. lol
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

When I dug up the floor in my basement....for a down stairs bathroom found on of those bottles under the concrete floor.
    Put a penny on it and note.re-sealed it...and buried it again when I replaced that floor section.

I'll never be completely broke as long as I live here....I have a "stash"

BTW...Those shorty fat bottles were our favorite targets at the dump...our "range"......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I shot a lot of bottles at the dump too.

Also a lot of RATS!

Rats make a nice splat when hit with a .38 wadcutter.

Some of those bad boys were the size of house cats.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I shot a lot of bottles at the dump too.

Also a lot of RATS!

Rats make a nice splat when hit with a .38 wadcutter.

Some of those bad boys were the size of house cats.
    MF used to toss those in the air...and I would shoot them with .22 shorts......Trick was ..wait till they stopped at the top of the arc....

The dump was also a gold mine of longneck returnables after a major holiday....summer people would just dump cases at about $1.00 each.

Now they don't have returnable in a lot of states, although there are states that do have a heavy tax on them.
    When the idea of recycling... was looked at as a "new idea'....I kept a '54 Chevy in gas, picking up bottles.

Yup another go around.

I think I got 2 cents on empties if I remember. Folks throw that away today. I've got a 5 gallon jug of pennies most of which I've picked up off the ground.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yep it was 2 cents for pop bottles.

Many times I would head to the store with empty pockets and pick up three bottles before I got there. Buy a pack of BBs and a piece of double bubble.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    MF used to toss those in the air...and I would shoot them with .22 shorts......Trick was ..wait till they stopped at the top of the arc....
    The bottles or the rats?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The bottles or the rats?
    Both if you could catch them.....
    Rats were a team sport ....dump was long pit....
    One of the guys would go down a ways... and toss something heavy into the pit...rats would scatter.

The rest of us then started shooting....
    I had the single shot....so had to oick one out and aim then fire......

Sound if the other guys had the tube magazine held like 20 rounds......so would just open up keep shooting and track them in the sand....like the machines guns in "Rat Patrol" (TV show)

Taught me a lot about picking your shot....(like picking a duck out of a flock),.. patience, aiming, leading a moving target and staying calm while reloading.

Most like likely will not see that ever again...you would go to jail...besides being like 13 -15 years old....The Horror.
    My kill to ammo used was much higher tham most of them

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I think I got 2 cents on empties if I remember. Folks throw that away today. I've got a 5 gallon jug of pennies most of which I've picked up off the ground.
    I bought my first pup tent with bottle money. $14 and change from Sears and Roebuck when I was 7. I still have that tent. I get it out and put it up for the grandkids to play in. Seemed to be a lot roomier back then.

But, they made those suckers out of some kind of canvas back in the day!

Alan

That was back when kids actually worked at 7. I got 10 cents a hundred pound sorting potatoes. That was not a bad job until you got a rotten one. Then there wasn't enough money on the planet for that job. God did those things stink. I can still get whiff of something rotten and it takes me back to that old store standing there sorting potatoes.

What smells worse, a dead cow or 1 rotten potato? Why all the Irish left Ireland during the potato famine makes sense when you smell a rotten potato. They weren't starving as much as they couldn't stand the stench.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That was back when kids actually worked at 7. I got 10 cents a hundred pound sorting potatoes. That was not a bad job until you got a rotten one. Then there wasn't enough money on the planet for that job. God did those things stink. I can still get whiff of something rotten and it takes me back to that old store standing there sorting potatoes.
    Stinkiest job was catching turkeys at the turkey farms...15 cents each
    ....you would throw away your clothes so someone would give you a ride home.
    Only lasted a week or so....

That is saying alot as I was the operator for a Class B Sewer Plant.....for a year.

Last edited by hunter63; 11-14-2017 at 11:32 AM.

I worked for a funeral home in high school and potatoes win hands down. I don't know if that's a pun or not but it's true. I've picked up some pretty rotten bodies but rotten potatoes are rotteneer...rottenerest...bad.

Mucking out chicken coops for the fertilizer man had a smell all its own.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel