Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's with the Gerber-hate?

Default What's with the Gerber-hate?

I have a couple of Gerber folders. I think they are great for the price to be honest. I have never tried batoning one, hammered one into a log and bent it sideways or anything like that. But for tasks suitable for a folding knife, they have all been good. But when I try searching for reviews online they all seem negative (or made by children),
    Now, maybe they are worse than what they used to be? I don't know. Tell me, why does everyone seem to hate Gerber?
    Ursäkta min Engelska

Quote Originally Posted by hajta View Post
    I have a couple of Gerber folders. I think they are great for the price to be honest. I have never tried batoning one, hammered one into a log and bent it sideways or anything like that. But for tasks suitable for a folding knife, they have all been good. But when I try searching for reviews online they all seem negative (or made by children),
    Now, maybe they are worse than what they used to be? I don't know. Tell me, why does everyone seem to hate Gerber?
    Who is "everyone"?
    Any links?

I guess i'll have to take your word for it...as I haven't seen many review good or bad.
    Have a Gerber "Touche' belt buckle (actually 2) that isn't made any more, a couple of multi tools, and a little skeleton folder.

They maybe another brand name that was bought up and now made in China?

When I called the about a replacement knife to the belt buckle....was in the USA and the guy tried to locate that part.....
    No parts around as they quit making it in 1988.

They were just not high on my list....way too may options out there.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Sorry, this is pretty much the only english speaking forum I'm on, should have thought of that. The asians makes allright knives though? Fällkniven is made in Japan these days, but yeah, just stuck my mind, the last one I tried was crap. If I had payed a Gerber-price for it, I would have shrugged and sharpened it up though. A buckle knife? Awesome, never seen anything like that.
    Last edited by hajta; 11-02-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    Ursäkta min Engelska

I have a Gerber multi-tool that has lasted years. Actually 2. I have a micro with scissors. They both are in my EDC.

I have a Gerber multi-tool as well and like it as well. I have no problem with Gerber gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have a Gerber multi-tool as well and like it as well. I have no problem with Gerber gear.
    I bought a Gerber Multi-tool about 22 years ago. I've used it multiple times over the years with excellent performance ... except, I have to be careful when using the pliers and I can pinch my palm when it closes. That is the only design flaw I've found. I also have an old Gerber fixed blade A475 4¾" blade that is an excellent blade for many chores out in the field. No complaints on that knife.

My hunting buddy had an older Gerber folder that he's used many times on elk and deer. He loves it. I don't recall the model but it is carried in a Gerber supplied leather pouch.

Don't know about new Gerber knives but the old ones, in my opinion, are excellent knives.

My opinion.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by hajta View Post
    Sorry, this is pretty much the only english speaking forum I'm on, should have thought of that. The asians makes allright knives though? Fällkniven is made in Japan these days, but yeah, just stuck my mind, the last one I tried was crap. If I had payed a Gerber-price for it, I would have shrugged and sharpened it up though. A buckle knife? Awesome, never seen anything like that.
    Wore it for many years...but it gets loose with use, in the past I'd just send it back to Gerber, they fixed it, no charge.
    This time I lost the knife....called them...couldn't get a replacement.
    Bought a replacement off eBay........only to find the knife in the brush a couple of months later....go figure.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

They have been retired

Forgive the second-hand information, but I gather from watching Wranglerstar that Gerber got a bad name because they put out a cheaper line of products that was sold through Walmart, and possibly other stores, and people assumed that they had sold out to a Chinese company and were only putting out cheap stuff. In many videos (no links, just from memory) Wranglerstar laments how Gerber has "gone downhill".

Apparently, (I'll put a link to a video below), they still make the same high-end stuff, but added a cheaper line, and it resulted in a bit of confusion. It is mentioned at around 6:00 minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KgwxvZ-Vqc
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

I have a few Gerber knives. No hate from me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

same here i have a machete, the kukri and 2 BG,survival knives I really like the sheaths on them.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Got a Gerber multi-tool in each vehicle, one on the arm of the sofa.

Back in '05 and '06 they were requested items in the care packages we were sending my two boys in Iraq. Actually the first son requested one and we sent one over with the second.

Been using them in one form or another since they first started the company.

Most of the complaints are from after Fiskars bought the company and started farming work out to China.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I think maybe the bad rap is coming from the Bear Grylls orange handle stuff....?

I've got a couple of Gerber knives and a Gerber multitool in a tackle box. I got it at a garage sale. It took me an hour to figure out how to open it. Then the second time I used it, it took me an hour to remember how to open it. Since the leatherman is on my belt, the Gerber is just backup. It's not that I don't like Gerber, I just like other brands better.

Alan

Gerber makes some good stuff and some not so good stuff like most companies. I think the hate stems from their associate with Grylls. It's probably been a huge boon to their bottom line but at the expense of their respect and credibility with more serious outdoors-folk.

its likely the BG series of gerbers, in comparison to other brands they not as good as "survival" knives, that and all the knock off knives of them I guess give them a bit of a bad name.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Actually a hunter blaze orange handle makes more sense that a camo handle.
    Lost a few "hunting" knives in the snow and leaves cleaning animals in the woods.

One is still missing.....found the others .....

What's with the Bear Grylls hate?

Just messin with y'all.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    What's with the Bear Grylls hate?

Just messin with y'all.

Alan
    No hate it's just that............Ruth is Hot......

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Actually a hunter blaze orange handle makes more sense that a camo handle.
    Lost a few "hunting" knives in the snow and leaves cleaning animals in the woods.

One is still missing.....found the others .....
    I have nothing wrong with the colours of them, just they dont preform as well as other things in same price range.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Got a Gerber multi-tool in each vehicle, one on the arm of the sofa.

Back in '05 and '06 they were requested items in the care packages we were sending my two boys in Iraq. Actually the first son requested one and we sent one over with the second.
    I have an old Gerber multi-tool from the 90's that I still use quite a bit. Dad gave it to me for my birthday, graduation, something...can't recall. Very nifty and well made. It rides in the pocket on the sheath of my RAT7.