Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38 special as a trail gun

My 3" LCRx is a pretty good shooter. But then it does depend on what you're on the trail for, of course. I don't really hunt anymore so I carry a sidearm for defense and because, well, you're just supposed to have a gun! I generally view sidearms as defensive tools and feel more confident with my HK USPf9 and my 5 shot LCRx. But the latter is light and handy, really plenty for most things I'd use a gun for.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    And there's the exception. Today's world. When I go to the ranch (where the Border Patrol has picked up about 100 dreamers over the last several years and they have crashed our gates, cut our fences, etc...) I carry a Glock 17 with at least one extra mag, usually more. A six shooter just won't do until the weather gets colder.

Alan
    I think I agree.

The trail has changed as much as the pistols we carry on the trail.

"Back in the day" the steps of escalation were simple. You had a 38 special you used for day to day chores and "trail work". If you expected possible trouble you swapped it for a 1911 and a couple of extra mags.

Such times would be if you were going hunting in big bear country, had rabies problems in your area, or even hunting along that same southern border. It has always been a rough place.

You did not swap the 6 shot .38 for a 9mm because the 9mm only held 8-9 rounds and that was no real advantage. You were used to the .38 and used it like an extension of yourself. If you changed from the normal it was for a serious purpose, so the .45 was on call. Better yet, the 12 gauge!

Nowdays you can have what used to be considered massive firepower on hand. 15-19 shots and two spare magazines and almost the same loadout in a .40. All that for the same size and weight as a 6 shot .38.

And that is the normal for us old guys now. I was eating with the crew for the early bird special last week and an old guy walked into the restaurant wearing a hi-capacity auto-pistol, open carry. This is Kentucky so that is a normal thing. No one made a comment because all of us have CCW and all of us had one form of semi-auto or another concealed except for the preacher. He still depends on a 5 shot .38 and his faith in God.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-28-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I carry the Glock for several reasons. It has 17 gun noises that will allow me to get away from whatever caused me to make gun noises. There's 17 more if they are persistent in following me. It can handle abuse. The dust, sticks and debris kicked up by the shredder and or the spiders and debris from walking through the brush will not prevent it from functioning as intended. If I ever have to use it for defensive purposes, I won't mind giving it up to sit in an evidence room for an unknown amount of time. I can't say those same things about any of my revolvers. I'm not concerned about shooting it out with someone or even shooting them. But I do want them to know that I'm shooting. That is probably going to be enough to get clear of the situation.

Yes, the trail has changed. There was certainly a time when I would not, did not give a second thought to needing a handgun for personal protection against other people. Snakes, the occasional skunk, (we don't have lions, tigers or bears)... could be dispatched with any number of "Normal" handguns. But, Damn if I don't know what I'm going to walk up on or is going to walk up on me these days. You're standard illegal is not going to bother you much. But if you walk up while they are loading or unloading you may have an issue with the driver. He's the one that has something to lose and he doesn't want to lose it, and he's probably armed.

The days of walking the fence with a K22 are over. But there was a time when I did just that and a good stout wall 20 feet high down south of here might give me that chance again before I can't walk any more.

Alan

But, after the weather gets colder the traffic will slow down and we can have a few months of the old days when all we were looking out for was that big buck or a fat hog.

Alan

I have kinda taken a shine to the Ruger LCRx 3" in .38 Special. Kinda kicking myself for not buying one when they were on sale at the LGS. I did just buy on in .22lr though, so I was trying to be good and not buy anything else. I still may pick one up, or just wait until the .357 mag ones trickle in.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

There are many good guns available

This should be fun.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Are there spam guns? I haven't found one of those but I sure would like to.

I still don't understand what this review is with a bulletproof vest, I use a revolver from the platform NOTHING TO SEE, JUST SPAM Smith & Wesson Model 351c 22 Magnum as self-defense, and I feel safe with it. Many friends have told me that handguns are not practical and that pistols are much more effective, but I'm afraid they disagree. I thought they had recently acquired a more powerful weapon like the AK 47 or HK 416, but I'm not sure it would be as effective as a car pistol. Maybe someone carries it in a car with such a weapon and can advise me which model would be best for me, and I would be very grateful for the help.
    Last edited by Rick; 06-16-2021 at 09:55 AM. Reason: removed link

A few years back, some of the high school kids were making potato guns. There was one that was loaded by sticking the barrel (pvc pipe) through a potato and cookie cutting a cylinder of potato into the barrel which was then pushed down to load it. They used compressed air to charge the gun.

You could probably use it to great effect with SPAM as well!

Alan

Ooooh. Spam and potatoes. The breakfast of champions.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I like .38 Special, and own a few revolvers and rifles to shoot that caliber. More and more though, I have been carrying a .32-20 while I am walking in the woods. It is an old 4" Colt, and is scary accurate. If I had not picked this one up, I would still be carrying my old M15 Smith, or one of my .22s.
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

My trail (hiking/backpacking) gun is a 6 shot .357. Only had to use it once, on a snake. Worked fine and I don't feel like its inadequate.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

STXXnca.jpg

A little walk around I picked up yesterday. Springfield Trapdoor in .38 Special/.375mag.

When Kelly decided to carry we shot a number of handguns. She decided on the 38 special hands down. .357 was WAY too much. A 38 to the face was deemed suffiient.

Same with my wife. A .38 with crimson trace made her a woman to obey.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Same with my wife. A .38 with crimson trace made her a woman to obey.
    I'm pretty sure she was a woman to obey before the revolver!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Ooooo. Low blow. Lol.