Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it over yet? Ammo crunch.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Is it over yet? Ammo crunch.

Have we declared the ammo shortage over yet?

According to my latest search there is plenty of .22lr ammo out there and it is back to pre-Obama prices, or close to it. That is if you want to buy such stuff.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=1837105

At less than $0.05 cents per round for 500 rounds for good quality ammo it appears that the supply is once again secure and affordable.

Now the trick is to get folks to buy a couple of bricks and set them aside rather than buying one box of 50 rounds as they head for the range and bringing home an empty rifle.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

it's not over until you get a ruger 10-22
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Tool & Die Maker

While there seems to be plenty of ammo for sale the 22LR is still a little high around here. A 320 rounds of Federal loose pack 22LR around $18 a box, that's 5.6 cents per round. Still kinda high I think. Cabela's has had 9mm for $9.60, 50 round box, 223 of Russian made steel case $6 box of 20. Of course Cabela's is in Crook county so there is a 5 cent per round tax. But I have boxes of 38 special and 9mm that are still marked between $15 and $20. Not sure how old it is probably between 5 and 10 years.

Around here everyplace has ammo but it pays to shop around for price, sometimes further ahead to buy at Cabela's and pay the tax.

I was shopping around for a tube of gun grease to replace the tube I have had for 40 years. Shocking the price for a small amount of grease. One gun shop had grease in a shot glass size container for $18!!!!! The heck with that, I'll use
    CNC Ballscrew grease that comes from a standard grease gun tube.

Finally, yes, plenty of ammo around but I still see plenty of rip offs in progress. It pays to shop around and use your head. My head is still in the clouds over the FREE rifle slings clipped onto computer bags around the house. I should splurge and go buy the $18 vial of gun grease.

Got a 10/22!

Got three stocks, 5 barrels, reworked trigger, reworked bolt, all the magazines anyone could use, a "Sweet .22" scope on top. It shoots sub-MOA out to 100 yards.

Awfullest POS I ever sank three times its value in I have ever owned.

I will sell it to the first bidder that offers me more than I have in the parcel, barrels, stocks mags and all!

As for ammo price compared to the past:

We had a huge 10 year gap where we were not allowed to get adjusted to inflation, so current prices are really not comparable to what we were paying back in 2008 when all this started.

I was paying .07 cents per shot for Mini-mags before the big grab. Same 100 pack is now .08 cents a shot almost 10 years latter. Factoring in inflation I do not feel that is out of line.

Rifle and pistol ammo has always been sort of haphazard with old stock selling cheap and new production reflecting wholesale prices with the big box stores running deep discounts around hunting season. If I compare the 30-30 ammo of today at $20 per box to the 30-30 ammo of 40 years back at $5 it will always be more expensive now over back then.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-21-2017 at 05:58 PM.

No convincing needed here. I got mine. edit- the .22 rds, not your gun.
    Last edited by madmax; 10-21-2017 at 05:52 PM.

I thought you traded that 10-22 off and swore off all rimfire.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I thought you traded that 10-22 off and swore off all rimfire.
    I did swear off rimfire, just can't get rid of the 10/22.

I will probably have to take it to a gun show and trade it for zombie killer knives or scented poison ivy soap or something.

ok then I will rephrase my comment. When you start shooting your 10-22 again AND are happy about it ad decide to keep it, the ammo crunch is officially over LOL.

Life is short. I hate to see you so danged miserable. It's not my first choice but because it's you I will let you give me that 10/22 and whatever remaining .22 ammo you have just so you will be happy again. I have no idea what I'll do with it other than be miserable but, hey, what are friends for? PM me for the address.

I don't know about that..... I kinda like the 10/22's.......Maybe look for a good one?

Haven't really shot many 22's lately or shopped for ammo lately...still some "vintage" around.

Walked by the ammo case at Walmart...was looking for the Bear Grills survival knives.....none in the case....
    Just a note to "ask about it"...to the absent nobody running the department.

So...can't really comment on the situation....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have the 10/22 break-down model. I like it.
    22lr is going for about .05 per round here. This is mostly Winchester M-22 and SuperX hp. There is some other match-grade stuff at the nearest Cabela's that is anywhere from $70 - $100 a brick of 500.
    My 10/22 has shot just about everything I've run through it. So I cant complain...yet.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

My grandson is 11 and he loves mine. I get a kick out of watching him shoot aluminum pie plates with it. That is worth every penny I paid for it and a whole lot more.

I guess the 10/22 thing is the same as a Ford/Chevy pickup discussion.

I have had three 10/22 rifles over the years. My first cost me $39.95, the second was $69.95 and I feel that is what they are still worth today. Not the inflated $250-$350 people are shelling out to get a rifle that has a horrible trigger, less than acceptable accuracy, accuracy sensitiveness for both reliability and accuracy, and several design flaws that make long term durability questionable.

It is an extremely expensive paper plate and tin can shooter. Other rifles can do equally as well at those functions for half the price.

Most people will never use one enough or demand enough from their 10/22 to care, and that is what Ruger is counting on.

I just got caught in the "upgrade game" a few years back and reworked a 10/22 way past the normal needs trying to get the ultimate accuracy from the platform. By the time I finished I had learned more about the 10/22 than I wanted to know and spent more than I intended.

The 10/22 is like a custom car, before you know it you are under water on the cost/value ratio and you paid too much for the raw platform. I could have had a fantastic CZ or Browning for what I put into the 10/22 as $25-$100 at a time modifications.

And in turn I really like the AR7, which most people hate.

Then there is my abandonment of the .22lr, as Randy pointed out. I have not fired a .22lr in a year or so and the last time I did was for testing some repairs to an existing rifle. The Great Raccoon War of 2012 reminded me of every fault of the .22lr and even before that the ammo shortage had arrived and made good .22 rounds scarce.

I switched to the .357 rifle and the single shot .223 loaded with cast lead squib loads for the jobs that the .22lr would not accomplish. Both guns have the capability of being stepped up to their normal power levels and being legal and adequate for medium game in my area. Much more flexible and accurate than the .22lr.

The crunch seems to be over, around here. I went to a gun show, the other weekend and was surprised at a couple of things, though. First, the price of AR-15's has come way down. (S&W mp for $500.) Second, the price of lever action rifles is still climbing. (Used Marlin 30-30's were $475-$600.)

For those of you shooting .22lr, if you like CCI, try some Remington golden bullets. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. (And save yourself some money.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

That is one feature of the .22lr that is inconvenient, and the reason the ammo shortage was so irritating.

Some rifles will shoot one ammo better than another and some rifles and pistol will not shoot some ammo well enough to bother loading it in the magazine.

Golden bullets might shoot wonderfully in your rifle, they will not stay on a 9" pie plate @25 yards in anything I own. That does not mean Golden Bullets are bad, just that they do not shoot well from the guns I have.

I have one rifle that prefers Mini-Mags, another that wants a diet of SK Match, another that likes CCI target loads best. Others I have not tried to discover what their favored brand/load is because it is not really important since I do not shoot them but once a decade.

But I have found that no matter what all of them prefer they will all shoot Mini-Mags decently, like into an inch at 25 yards, which is enough to keep you alive on rats and squirrel meat if necessary. None of the other .22 rounds I have tested have matched that consistency.

And Mini-mags might not shoot worth crap in anything you have!

During the shortage I wound up purchasing a lot of .22 ammo I did not want to own, just because it was all that was available. I hated that!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I guess the 10/22 thing is the same as a Ford/Chevy pickup discussion.

And in turn I really like the AR7, which most people hate.
    The AR7 is the coolest looking... single shot... I ever owned......

That's why I gave it away....Kyrat, ever get it running?....LOL

Did teach me a lesson, when you buy at a show...and seems like a good deal....make sure to ask...."Does it work?

I'm kinda a "Run what ya Brung" kinda guy... so spending a lot of money for upgrades for a Ruger 10/22s' doesn't make any sense to me either.

I'll take a marlin model 60 over a 10-22 any day. Sadly I have three 10-22s and no model 60. My mannlicher stocked 10-22, the wife has laid claim to. I'm fixing to remedy the marlin 60 situation very soon.

The only thing I hate about the Marlin 60 is it is tube fed. That is the one thing I really like about the 10/22. I love the magazine. I hate a tube fed rifle. It's just a pain in the tush to load.

I think I still have the Model 60 in SS around somewhere....
    DU raffle prize....
    Never shot it.....So can't say how well it operates.

They do make a marlin 60 that takes a box magazine, not sure of the model number. I bought a 10-22 when I was a kid. It didn't shoot as well as my remington 510 and it was finicky on what I shot in it. The 510 seemed to shoot anything well. So I traded the 10-22 to my father. Then, then the interwebs came along touting how great the 10-22 is so I felt slighted and bought another. Same as the first one back when I was a kid. Put in the gun room and kept shooting my 510. My father passed and I ended up with my old one back plus one he won at a raffle.

Back to the 60. I got one in boot on my gelding belgian cross that I traded off. It shot good but I thought it was a "cheap" gun so I traded it off. should have kept it. One nice feature with a tubular magazine is it can loaded on sunday and shot all week.

Wow that's a long way around the ammo crunch.