Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some assistance. Keeping it legal in PA.

Default Need some assistance. Keeping it legal in PA.

Hi guy's I have been here a while on the blog and I am currently working on my Nuisance Wildlife License for PA. In a discussion at happy hour someone dropped a bombshell on me - that Rim-fire and Airguns are the only thing legal for trap and uthanization. And honest most townships wont allow air either. My old Air .22 with Gamo shot is worn out. So I am here to look at suggestions.

Here is what I found. From the PA Game commission (any help would be appreciated)

(3) Take small game, furbearing animals, crows or wildlife with the following devices:

(i) A manually operated or semiautomatic rimfire rifle or manually operated rimfire handgun .22 caliber or less.

(ii) A manually operated or semiautomatic air rifle or manually operated air handgun between .177 and .22 caliber, inclusive, that propels single-projectile pellet or bullet ammunition. BB ammunition is not authorized.

(4) Kill an animal legally caught in a trap with the following devices:

(i) A manually operated or semiautomatic rimfire rifle or manually operated rimfire handgun .22 caliber or less.

(ii) A manually operated or semiautomatic air rifle or manually operated air handgun between .177 and .22 caliber, inclusive, that propels single-projectile pellet or bullet ammunition. BB ammunition is not authorized.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 02-08-2018 at 07:54 PM.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

once you catch the animal can you relocate to a different area and kill it there?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

That's a grey area - maybe. They expect me to bury it. I might have to buy some co2 and a box.

I have run into Diseased or sick wildlife on occasion, not going to say but if you catch it - I need a better plan.

Actually I was looking for suggestions on what to buy and ammo.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 02-08-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I would think your state pest control board, state pest management assoc (or whatever it's called) or your attorney would be your best source of information to keep you legal. I'm sure any or all of us have might have an opinion but that and $4 would get you a cup of java but might not keep you from getting a citation or worse. I would think game laws and laws specific to pest management might be different but what do I know?

to be honest when I catch, I then relocate and release if it is a wild animal. I have made a box from sheet metal that would go over a live trap. then a hose was went from a auto exhaust to the box. That was for a customer.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    to be honest when I catch, I then relocate and release if it is a wild animal. I have made a box from sheet metal that would go over a live trap. then a hose was went from a auto exhaust to the box. That was for a customer.
    That became illegal a few years back and to be honest I am catch and release. I can navigate the rules, I am good at that. And Rick I have two lawyers.

Again I am looking for suggestions on a easy to use rimfire (easy to clean) and best ammo for the job should I need it.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 02-08-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I have many rifles to chose from but if I were buying a new one for your specific purpose. I would chose a cricket single shot in .22 lr. At the range you are shooting I would use any 22 lr ammo available. Probably cci minimags.

I have many rifles to chose from but if I were buying a new one for your specific purpose. I would chose a cricket single shot in .22 lr. At the range you are shooting I would use any 22 lr ammo available. Probably cci minimags.
    Bolt action for raccoons? Guess I better not miss! Nice choice, easy to clean?

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I think it's easy to clean, pull the bolt and run a patch through. Should work fine, what are you on distance? five feet? what are you using for a trap? coon cuffs, box trap, leghold?

As for the ammo CCI is for plinking and targets. The ammo may not work in some guns, why not Lapua/SK High Velocity Hollow Point?

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I think it's easy to clean, pull the bolt and run a patch through. Should work fine, what are you on distance? five feet? what are you using for a trap? coon cuffs, box trap, leghold?
    Uh if I am releasing yes you are right but I would need 75 feet for Grey Squirrel.

OH box traps and soon to be ordered 4 inch body trap.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

At the distance you are shooting that would be fine, I have never found coon hard to kill. I did not know CCI was for target and plinking, it's been my go to for hunting for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Uh if I am releasing yes you are right but I would need 75 feet for Grey Squirrel.

OH box traps and soon to be ordered 4 inch body trap.
    what do you mean 75 feet for grey squirrel? Coon need about three miles distance to bee released otherwise they can find their way back. The distance I'm talking about is when you shoot the animal, walk up to the animal and it is a few feet from muzzle of gun to animal. I cannot see why one shot is all that is needed.

got it - I was concerned about the low powder ammo. The ammo is labeled that way. If it works that's fine.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I would not use CB caps, I would use a 22 lr, even thunderbolts.

OK Cool what do you think of the Henry Survival AR-7 .22 ?
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 02-08-2018 at 08:52 PM.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

what do you mean 75 feet for grey squirrel? Coon need about three miles distance to bee released otherwise they can find their way back. The distance I'm talking about is when you shoot the animal, walk up to the animal and it is a few feet from muzzle of gun to animal. I cannot see why one shot is all that is needed.

Missed this post on the refresh. My apologies. Actually I send them far more miles to stay alive where they can hang out at an unmentioned state park near me. The gun is for unsolvable trap shy, mammals that are diseased that need to be put down... and squirrels that have done a lot of damage around my home.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I have one, seems to be a little picky on ammo. It should be fine, probably would need to be kept clean to keep it functioning. Dispatching should only take one shot, I have never had to take two.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I grew up in western Pa and spent more hours than I could count right up through college roaming my uncles large farm with a 22 of various action types and either solid point or hollow point ammo ( manufacture did not matter) When the Winchester WMR came out I shot a bunch of it but generally speaking, for your use, it was too expensive. I killed everything from snakes and rats to feral dogs with no trouble. I would try different makes to see what is most accurate in your gun. I currently have a Ruger 10/22 TakeDown which is extremely handy and very accurate. Aguela offers subsonic 22 ammo that I could recommend for close range dispatch.
    Geezer Squad #2

Huge thank you... If others want to weigh in that's great.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907