Thread: finding AR-15 rifle slings

Tool & Die Maker

Default finding AR-15 rifle slings

I need to detach my rifle slings as needed. I need a sling for hog hunting so when I'm walking to the tree stand my hands are free for pulling my pants up, an old age thing. I also want a sling for the tree stand to prevent the rifle from falling to the ground. For the last year I have spent hours shopping for a detachable sling. There are countless slings on the market with the spring loaded latch. I have had one since 1965 that was on my Marlin 989 M1. As we know AR-15's come with sling swivels already mounted to the rifle. So,,,how do we use the latch on the slings with the existing swivel. Last fall I removed the swivels from the ar's and machined up Sling Swivel Studs for the spring loaded latch.

Now with the addition of my 9mm AR-15 the search resumed for a detachable sling to go with the existing swivels. Searched Cabela's then a large gun shop. Cabela's had one sling with dog collar snaps. They had slings that would detach from the swivels but they were in the $40 to $50 range. One sling was leather, nice, and used a button to form a loop for the swivel. I thought now that is a great idea but the sling cost $54. The gun shop had a box full of misfit rifle slings for $4 each so I bought one with the spring loaded latch missing altogether.

Thinking about the snaps used on boat covers I went to ACE hardware and bought a snap button kit for $6 including the riveting tools. Below is a picture of all my sling endeavors and curious what you guy do for slings on your AR-15's?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 10-20-2017 at 04:37 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Sorry Jim, I do not use the existing swivels or anything that looks like an issue AR sling.

All of my rifles are set up with something like the Magpul snap loops.

https://www.magpul.com/products/asap...tachment-point

The junction between the buffer tube and receiver is the weakest point on the AR. I try to eliminate as much pressure as possible on that point by giving the sling less leverage on that spot. Connecting the sling at the back of the receiver seems the strongest option.

I also have free floated fore end w/key-mod rails on most of my rifles so I can snap a sling hook or fastener into the support slots. If the stock sight tower/gas block is in place I snap directly into the triangle of the sight tower.

I use AK slings with a dog collar snap on each end.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

Thanks for the link, that really helps. The AK slings is an excellent tip at $12-$20 on Amazon.
    I'll probably order one of those.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 10-19-2017 at 04:29 PM.

I kinda like that snap on the sling.....I take mine off when turkey hunting......Nothing like sling to make movement and snag on stuff when Mr. Tom is coming in....
    Sling does make it easier ti carry shotgun and hands for of gear...

Is that snap on the sling? or come with that mount you listed?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I used an old laptop case strap for my last sling. It had the snaps and it was padded. Best of all, it was free.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I kinda like that snap on the sling.....I take mine off when turkey hunting......Nothing like sling to make movement and snag on stuff when Mr. Tom is coming in....
    Sling does make it easier ti carry shotgun and hands for of gear...

It is on the sling. I got several in a batch and sacrificed one to get the D ring and snap for both ends.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-UN...oAAOSwxp9W6PyY

The AK/SKS sling is also 1 1/2" wide and real heavy canvas webbing.

I have scrounged other stuff like Rebel pointed out, including straps from Walmart, but the com-block stuff is hard to beat for general use and price.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-19-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks.....looks like something I'd like to try......

Most of my sling that I use are pretty plain...including a couple paracord slings.

I use them for the walk out in the dark, the walk back after dark,... or carrying something.
    Like the quick disconnect.

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I installed the snap on the sling so this sling can be used on the 9mm that already has swivels. I would like to buy an AK sling but I'm good to go with what I have now. I thought about installing 2 snaps per loop but one seems adequate.

I like the idea....Thanks for posting...

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I used an old laptop case strap for my last sling. It had the snaps and it was padded. Best of all, it was free.
    OMG.....just found a perfect rifle sling on a computer bag!!! It never dawned on me use a camera neck strap or computer case strap for a rifle sling. As it turns out I have several around the house. Glad I didn't spent $54 at Cabela's for the sling yesterday.

Ya know, in a way I'm almost making money posting on this forum.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 10-20-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Yep we have you saving a bundle.

Now just subtract that $50 from the cost of the two AR platforms/3 uppers and eventually if you repurpose enough of the crap you have laying around the shop and house and will eventually discover you got the rifles for free!

Instead of buying a gun case to transport you rifles just use an old guitar case.... (actually I do that one all the time, works for short shotguns too)

Use a banjo case and the neighbors will think you have joined a bluegrass band but the police will stop you constantly because they always profile banjo players.

What do you say to a banjo player wearing a 3 piece suit.....

Wait for it...

"Will the defendant please rise."
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-20-2017 at 11:36 AM.