Thread: Just Another Newbie

Default Just Another Newbie

Hello All - Thank you for allowing me to join your site. I'm a 55 year old guy living just a few miles from the CD in a remote area of Montana. I am a Hunting and Fishing Outfitter and Guide (25years). I am in the hills or on the water nearly daily - often for weeks on end, so wilderness survival is something we practice on a regular basis - though I never really considered it "survival" - it's just what ya do. I retired from the hunting end of the business last fall, and to make up for the lack of income from it, I enrolled in a training program to get setup with an online store selling Survival Gear and camping equipment - things I am familiar with. But now I realize I don't know as much as I should about all the different types and brands of gear, so have been reading blogs and forums in an effort to expand my knowledge, and get an idea what most people prefer and use in their survival situations. I want to sell only the best gear available, and figure I can find out what much of it is from others on this site and others like it, and hopefully be able to share some of my knowledge and experience with others.
    I was a boy scout in my youth, so I learned most of the survival skills I possess way back then. I certainly do not consider myself and expert on the subject, but suspect I'm a little more knowledgeable than the average bear. As far as preparedness planning; I am strong on this as far as scheduled outings, but have no plan in place if I need to "bugout". I guess I just figured I'm staying put right here if SHTF so didn't think I really needed an emergency plan. I'm thinking different now, following a summer of hundreds of earthquakes in our area (largest was 5.8), and lots of forest fires. I was made humbly aware that I am not at all prepared in the event I should lose my home to earthquakes or fire, as ALL my gear and supplies is stored in my home. one should never put all his eggs in one basket!

My interest and hobbies include anything outdoors -hunting, fishing, trapping, etc - especiallly when I'm doing them with my grown kids and grandchildren.
    These grandkids really love to fish!

I hope to learn more about survival skills and gear on this site- especially about edible plants in my area, and hope I can share tips and advice with others as well. Thanks again

Welcome home.

Hunter63 Saying Hey and Welcome.... From Wisconsin.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Welcome to WSF!

Welcome aboard!
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Welcome from Alaska.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel