Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blowguns

Quote Originally Posted by Graf View Post
    Guess a lot would be conditions, dart specs, etc. I can do that at 25' easy enough, 20 yards is a big claim
    The picture is getting clearer. Thanks for the experienced input.

Actually Blowguns are great for small game hunting. Just realize not all ammo are created equal. Just like with any projectile weapon it is a balance between weight of the ammo, and the velocity it shoots at (which is determined by ammo weight, shaft length & diameter of blowgun, and amount of air pressure you exhale).

There is a huge array of different ammo types for blowguns too. The ammo with the greatest stopping power imo are the long nail spear flat heads. They are literally thick nails that have a flattened spear head tip. They are the heaviest of the ammo types and strongest dart with greatest penetrating ability. I have shattered thick beer bottles with that ammo where as my spring loaded bb gun just ricocheted off the bottle. Using the thinner spear or pointed tip darts for this scenario resulted in the destruction of all the darts after bouncing off the beer bottle.

Whether you add a crosshair sight on the end of the blowgun is up to you. Some people swear by these crosshair sights while others swear at them. If you are asthmatic or have COPD there is a co2 canister attachment setup for blowguns and they even sell a multi loader quiver mouth piece that you can fire multiple single shots with but a twist of the mouth piece quiver.

For larger game, there are syringe darts that you attach a hollow needle to and fill with a tranquilizing agent. This method I have never tried personally, but considering how many tribal Indians that have taken down large game using this method, I give it a 2 thumbs up ( if not for taking down the animal then for coming up with a tranquilizer agent in the wild)

If you have high end couplers, multiple segmented blowguns work just fine. It makes it much more packable having four 15 inch connectable tubes then having to lug around a 5' one. And up to a point, longer is better (till the point of diminishing returns)

"...amount of air pressure you exhale"

Exhale? Dang. No wonder the things never worked.

Zactly.....

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I was watching a few squirrels the other day eating pecans. They were perched on a limb and would’ve made an easy target. I didn’t shoot them because they’re not bothered me, I like to watch them and I’m not hungry. Being a townie now, I thought about what if I were interested in hunting them. I would have to use something that was quiet. Something that if someone saw you with, wouldn’t raise an alarm. If you’re patient, you can snare them with a squirrel pole. I know but, while waiting for the traps and snares too maybe work wouldn’t it be nice to also hunt. That’s what lead me to the blowgun. After a little research:

http://www.cherokeeheritage.org/attractions/blowguns/

Not wanting to make one, I thought I’d see what was commercially available.
    This is the only place I’ve found that has the one piece 5 foot blowgun in stock:

http://www.coldsteelarizona.com/c/6/big-bore-blowguns

I think it looks like a hiking stick. From what I’ve read longer is better. The two piece blowgun reviews aren’t as good. Some are cheaply made and more of a toy. So, I started watching videos. I was impressed with the small game being taken. Rabbits, squirrels and birds.

If I were wanting to be in stealth mode I’d consider a blowgun over a slingshot for small animals. It seems that the accuracy learning curve is easier with the blowgun. Another plus for the blowgun, darts can be made in the bush. Good luck making a new rubber band for a slingshot in the bush.

I guess you could wrap cord, wire and hang a ferro rod from it too. For the survival stick. Lol.

Any thoughts?
    It's quite interesting that you're exploring the idea of using a blowgun for hunting small game, especially with the emphasis on stealth and practicality in a survival or low-impact scenario. Given your interest in both observing wildlife and considering ethical, low-disturbance hunting methods, a blowgun seems like a thoughtful choice. It indeed blends in more naturally with a hiking scenario, and as you pointed out, it doubles as a survival tool with a bit of creativity. The ability to craft darts in the wild adds to its appeal for someone looking to minimize their footprint and engage with nature more intimately.

Regarding the taktikai mellény (tactical vest), incorporating such gear could enhance your preparedness and efficiency during hunting or wilderness exploration. A vest with various pockets and attachments would be ideal for carrying your blowgun darts, small tools, and other essentials like a compass, a small first-aid kit, or a compact survival guide. This way, everything you need is readily accessible, and you can maintain a low profile while keeping your gear organized.

Have you considered joining forums or groups dedicated to traditional hunting methods? They could offer valuable insights, tips on crafting and using blowguns, and even recommendations on the best gear, including tactical vests suited for your needs. Plus, it's always great to connect with like-minded individuals who share your interests and respect for wildlife.

Your approach, focusing on patience, observation, and minimal disturbance, is commendable. It's a reminder of the importance of ethical hunting practices and the deeper connection to the natural world they foster.