Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blowguns

Default Blowguns

I was watching a few squirrels the other day eating pecans. They were perched on a limb and would’ve made an easy target. I didn’t shoot them because they’re not bothered me, I like to watch them and I’m not hungry. Being a townie now, I thought about what if I were interested in hunting them. I would have to use something that was quiet. Something that if someone saw you with, wouldn’t raise an alarm. If you’re patient, you can snare them with a squirrel pole. I know but, while waiting for the traps and snares too maybe work wouldn’t it be nice to also hunt. That’s what lead me to the blowgun. After a little research:

http://www.cherokeeheritage.org/attractions/blowguns/

Not wanting to make one, I thought I’d see what was commercially available.
    This is the only place I’ve found that has the one piece 5 foot blowgun in stock:

http://www.coldsteelarizona.com/c/6/big-bore-blowguns

I think it looks like a hiking stick. From what I’ve read longer is better. The two piece blowgun reviews aren’t as good. Some are cheaply made and more of a toy. So, I started watching videos. I was impressed with the small game being taken. Rabbits, squirrels and birds.

If I were wanting to be in stealth mode I’d consider a blowgun over a slingshot for small animals. It seems that the accuracy learning curve is easier with the blowgun. Another plus for the blowgun, darts can be made in the bush. Good luck making a new rubber band for a slingshot in the bush.

I guess you could wrap cord, wire and hang a ferro rod from it too. For the survival stick. Lol.

Any thoughts?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Been there, done that. At least my son did. I watched. I still have one of his old dart quivers full of rabbit fur fletched darts hanging on the gun rack in the back room.

A 1/2" diameter section of copper tubing 10' long will cost you $8 at Lowes. Cut it to the length you wish. You can cushion the mouthpiece with duct tape so you will not knock your teeth out.

Darts can be made from bamboo skewers used to make kabobs. They are available in the grocery store in bags of 100. If you heat the tips they will stick in the tree or go clean through a squirrel. I know for a fact that they will make a 1500 pound Angus bull scoot out from under himself and pee at the same time.

The tail of the dart can be made to seal the tube by using a cotton ball worked into a split and wrapped around the skewer. Rabbit fur works good too.

The first explorers into the southern U.S. stated that the Native Americans used blowguns almost exclusively for small game and birds. The darts were easier and faster to make than arrows. You were going to lose or damage a large number of missiles so it was better if they were fast and east to replace.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-17-2017 at 04:00 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I suppose a paper wad, straight pin and large soda straw doesn't count?

Never really tied it ....but can see how it may be useful tool.......
    Let use know how it works out for you.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

It seemed to work in class.

I’ve made them out of pvc and conduit. Pvc was too flexible. Conduit worked better. The darts made from wire and nails with paper cone fletching. Lol, I remember as a kid, I hooked one up to the compressor. It put a hole in the pole barn.

I've had a few, my favorite is Cold Steel .50 5' long. I put a cutch tip on it and use as a walking stick. Made darts out of bamboo skewers and wire nuts
    Semper Paratus

I dont know if they any good for hunting, I think you would have better time with a sling shot than a blow gun.. smaller and ammo is everywhere.
    Just my 2 cents.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Well I have the coldsteel 5' and like it . They have a good selection of projectiles to chose from . Have taken rabbits and 1 squirrel with mine but mostly just killed cardboard . With a dumdum dart you can punch a big hole in the average box . they have bamboo ,narrow heads, broad heads, dumdum and even a " shotgun" load.

Thanks for the responses.

I went ahead and ordered one. For $35, I want to see how it does. Then I’ll know and not have to wonder about it’s capabilities. The limiting factor will probably be my ability.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Been there, done that. At least my son did. I watched. I still have one of his old dart quivers full of rabbit fur fletched darts hanging on the gun rack in the back room.

A 1/2" diameter section of copper tubing 10' long will cost you $8 at Lowes. Cut it to the length you wish. You can cushion the mouthpiece with duct tape so you will not knock your teeth out.

Darts can be made from bamboo skewers used to make kabobs. They are available in the grocery store in bags of 100. If you heat the tips they will stick in the tree or go clean through a squirrel. I know for a fact that they will make a 1500 pound Angus bull scoot out from under himself and pee at the same time.

The tail of the dart can be made to seal the tube by using a cotton ball worked into a split and wrapped around the skewer. Rabbit fur works good too.

The first explorers into the southern U.S. stated that the Native Americans used blowguns almost exclusively for small game and birds. The darts were easier and faster to make than arrows. You were going to lose or damage a large number of missiles so it was better if they were fast and east to replace.
    I know what I'm getting next time I'm at Lowe's.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel
    I went ahead and ordered one.

Just remember. Blow, don't suck. That's all I'm gonna say.

I’ve watched blowgun fishing videos too. I’m not sure where they tie the line to the dart.

I fish with a blow gun also I tie behind the cone and glue the cone on you have to suck it back up the pipe

No good can come of that I tell ya.

Lol. Note to self. Make sure the pointy end is facing away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    I fish with a blow gun also I tie behind the cone and glue the cone on you have to suck it back up the pipe
    There is no "sucking back up the pipe".....when it down there, it's gonna stay down there
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

On what distances can you safely dispatch, say a squirrel with a blowgun? I never tried this weapon, but I'm gonna make me one I'm thinking.
    Ursäkta min Engelska

I don’t know the effective range but, the five foot coldsteel is reported to hit a two inch circle at twenty yards.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I don’t know the effective range but, the five foot coldsteel is reported to hit a two inch circle at twenty yards.
    Guess a lot would be conditions, dart specs, etc. I can do that at 25' easy enough, 20 yards is a big claim
    Semper Paratus