Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I found some fantastic deals on some great firearms!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The 2fer concept goes way back.

I have read of two different people that waited for Indians to line up and then made sure their shot would not hit bone in the first target so they could take two people out with one shot.

Daniel Boone was one, a guy named Kasper Mansker was the other.

The concept of using large bore shotguns to take rafting birds is the main reason the laws restrict shotgun size to 10 gauge now days. Market hunters once killed hundreds of rafting birds with one shot from "punt guns" that held pounds of shot.

10 gauge was decided as the largest bore since it was the most common for duck back at the turn of the last century. No 12 gauge magnums back then, so if you wanted to step up from the 12 gauge 2 5/8" shells you had to step up to 10 gauge.

The deadly nature of this "have to take all we can as fast as we can" hunting is the reason Ducks Unlimited exists today, and the reason our game laws came into existence, especially bag limits.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-16-2017 at 02:58 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The deadly nature of this "have to take all we can as fast as we can" hunting is the reason Ducks Unlimited exists today, and the reason our game laws came into existence, especially bag limits.
    Yeah, like your Kindergarten teacher used to say, "A couple of you messed it up for everyone."

In my not-so-humble opinion, that's why we have the over-reaching environmental regulations we have today. Some of them are actually needed to stop (or punish, and therefore deter) dumb-***es who'll screw up anything to make or save a buck.

I'm to the right of Rush Limbaugh, but I know if it weren't for the Clean Water Act, there wouldn't be any point in fishing. There either wouldn't be any fish, or you'd be eating three-headed bass.

Of course, once you hand over authority to a bureaucracy, they keep taking more, either to grab more power, or to justify their continued existence.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk