Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I found some fantastic deals on some great firearms!

Default I found some fantastic deals on some great firearms!

KIMG2394.jpgKIMG2396.jpgKIMG2397.jpg

I wonder if I date the check in 1952 it will go through.

In 1952 you could order these guns, and the mail man would bring it to your house. The postage stamp to order it cost 3 cents. Of course that Model 21 was still a months wages for a very good job.

Alan

I was going through some stuff that hadn't seen daylight in 25 years and found the 1952 Stoeger "Shooter's Bible". There's a lot of stuff in it I wish I could order for any price much less the dollars and pennies listed.

Alan

LOL.....
    I look thru my old Popular Mechanic Magazines....
    I think these were from 1958

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

They also used to advertize for guns in the back pages of the BSA Handbook......
    Herters also used to sell a plain grade single shot bolt action rifles....in a many calibers....that could be mail ordered as well.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Those were the days. If I'd had any money when I was 12, Herter's would have had a freight service just for my house. I'll swear I had that thing memorized. Shotgun News had some pretty good deals on rifles and handguns that are high dollar stuff these days.

Alan

Tool & Die Maker

I remember those old advertisements. Myself and one of my shooting budding always talked about ordering some of those $15 and $20 rifles but I could never get the money together mowing lawns. Buying rifles through the mail ended when
    President Kennedy was shot and killed with a mail order rifle.

Amusing, Golden State Arms Corp is located in California. Maybe you should send those advertisements to Dianne Finstein the big antigun congresswoman from California.

I still have a Ruger Mark I pistol that I bought when I was 15 by walking into a gun shop, buying it and walking out with it.

If you compare the price of that Nagant in 1958....$14.95
    A couple of years ago they were $89.95 to $129.95...

Actually a better deal in 2013 that 1958

"Self Loading". ( Model 07)

Media would still call it an assault rifle.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Watching the Cincinnati local news one night I saw a single shot shotgun pulled from the trunk of a vehicle and referred too as an assault rifle by both the reporter and the police.

You want to see some real heart breaker deals go to the back page of an American Rifleman magazine from before 1968 to the full page add for "Ye Old Hunter". 1911 automatics for $30, Berettas for $12, P08 Lugers $30, Mosins for $10, Enfields for $20, 98 Mausers for $25. I even remember M1 carbines and M1 Grands for $50.

Oddly, it was not the death of JFK that brought on the GCA. It was the assignation of MLK and Bobby Kennedy in 1968. The entire Congress went into "knee jerk mode" and passed a completely autocratic and repressive bill. Things have actually gotten better with time and the use of computers for background checks.

People that bad mouth the NRA do not realize how much they have recovered for us from that dictatorial legislation. They also do not realize that some of the "trade offs" people call "stabbing us in the back" were done by the NRA to salvage us from more of these horrid legislative decisions.

When the GCA was passed the highest local law enforcement officer in any area had to personally approve the purchase of any handgun. In my area you had to physically hunt down the sheriff and beg him to sign your "permission to purchase" form. If the Sheriff knew your family you were in good shape, but if not he might refuse to sign, and he could do that. In many areas the sheriffs bragged that there had been no handguns purchased in their area for the entire elected term they had served.

You also had to register the purchase of any ammunition that could be used in a pistol and that ammunition could not be purchased before the age of 21. Mail order ammo as we know it today did not exist and many areas had a limit on number of boxes you could purchase. Looking back on it I remember that this was one of the reasons I started reloading!

I still remember being home on leave from the Army when I was 20 and my mother had to go buy .22 shells so I could go squirrel hunting. Two days earlier I had been in control of 5 /M60 belt fed machine guns, 3 /90mm recoiless rifles and an M2 Browning .50 and had a .45 hanging on my belt.

It was one of the worst laws ever passed and has made me cautious of any laws passed in reaction to a specific incident. They almost always tend to go past the norm and into oppressive no matter what the topic.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

Government rules have good intentions but the final rulling always end up going way overboard. That's the reason I hate to see the
    government get involved.

How about a burp gun?....$20 bucks.

Action and everything works....but barrel plugged to make it legal ....but can be disassembled........so nudge, nudge wink wink....

Or a 20MM Anti tank gun....little more expensive $190 bucks....

Last edited by hunter63; 10-14-2017 at 10:46 PM.

You may not "need" an anti tank rifle every day, but when you do need one, you need one very badly!

Alan

I don't always need an anti-tank gun. But when I do I use Solothurn. Stay ready my friends.

If you want to see some real good deals look through some old hunter-trader-trappers or american rifleman magazines from the early 1900s. I think trapddor springfields were going for a buck $1.50 and krags were $3.50
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Man, I we had a time machine, you could show up in 1900 with pocket change and be like Daddy Warbucks!

But, not many folks in those days bought guns for the Helluvit. They bought guns as tools and used them as tools, and they were careful with their ammo.

I have the 10 ga SXS shotgun my Great-great grandfather owned when he came to Texas. He carried it in the Oklahoma land rush and it was one of two guns he had at the time. I still have the reloading tools he used for it as well. Any of his boys could take the shotgun hunting. They got two shells. IF, they shot the shells they had to bring back enough meat for the family of 12 for a meal.... If they got enough meat on the first shot then they could use the second one for their own pleasure. If they shot both shells they'd better bring home some meat or they got a whippin, and it was a real whippin too, not just what would be normal child abuse these days. I remember my uncle telling me about how he set up a shot on doves or quail or even blackbirds to get the most possible wounded birds that he could then run down on foot. They would get to town about twice a year and Grandpa would buy everyone their one pair of shoes for the year and powder and shot.

I have a 10 ga SXS as well and it is an awesome shotgun. I can understand how they could kill 50 blackbirds in a shot. It holds 18 00 buck and is devastating on hogs bunched up at a feeder. I've never shot a deer with it but I'm quite sure it would do the trick.

Alan

that's a awesome heirloom to have
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Thanks, I think so. Of course it's got double hammers and damascus barrels. The maker was "C.D.Bonehill, 30" barrels full and full. It was well used. I'm not sure when they actually stopped using it for hunting, but by the time they did it was likely showing some signs that it shouldn't be shot any more.

The reloading stuff is pretty cool too. You basically knock the primer out with a long nail, then shove the (paper) case into a brass tube, a 10 ga wooden dowel with a flat brass tip fits down inside it to round it out. Pull the rod out and pour in the BP, pack wads on top of it with the rod, pour in the shot and put a wad on top of the shot. There is another tool that I don't have that curls the top of the shell over the wad holding the shot in. Then they would put a thin coating of wax on top to hold it together. Load two of those and you could get a meal, or you'd better get a meal.

Alan

I recall the 2 shell rule as well......you didn't come home with something, you were doing chores above and beyond to earn two more.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I recall the 2 shell rule as well......you didn't come home with something, you were doing chores above and beyond to earn two more.
    Yeah, but that is probably how you started your marksmanship training at a young age. Get supper with the firs shot and save the second. After a period of time you probably had enough "second shots" to go have some fun with your friends.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Yeah, but that is probably how you started your marksmanship training at a young age. Get supper with the firs shot and save the second. After a period of time you probably had enough "second shots" to go have some fun with your friends.
    Which then, in turn, promoted the concept of "saving" and "thrift" which are virtues unto themselves.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Added to that is the concept of stalking to get close and waiting for your shot.......Make sure of your target at to cut down on misses...
    OR
    2 duck on the water, line them up and boom....LOL....Not real sporting.

Actually had a couple of doubles a while back while turkey hunting....a couple of "2fer's"
    Had two permits......but wasn't trying.