Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bug Repellant... What's your best??

Banned

DEET, indeed. But you can also try Off! Deep Woods, it's good too.

Quote Originally Posted by davidgoldberg View Post
    DEET, indeed. But you can also try Off! Deep Woods, it's good too.
    You do realize that Off! Deep Woods has DEET as an active ingredient......right?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Permethrin is probably better than deet. Problem is, cats and other animals are killed by it. Spray your clothes with Permethrin and it lasts several weeks even when washed. Ticks will climb your pants for a moment or two and then start shaking and fall off.

Be sure to keep these clothes away from your pets or they may die. When I get home I put my clothes in the garage and immediately take a shower in order to save my cats.
    Last edited by MtMoriah; 08-28-2018 at 03:44 AM.
    Seize the Day

When I'm trying to avoid deet I've had somewhat good results with eucalyptus and lemon extracts.

Quote Originally Posted by MtMoriah View Post
    Permethrin is probably better than deet. Problem is, cats and other animals are killed by it. Spray your clothes with Permethrin and it lasts several weeks even when washed. Ticks will climb your pants for a moment or two and then start shaking and fall off.

Be sure to keep these clothes away from your pets or they may die. When I get home I put my clothes in the garage and immediately take a shower in order to save my cats.
    I've probably sprayed 5 or six gallons of Permethrin concentrate around the place in the last two years and we have no ill effects on our dog or cats. In fact we don't have a particular shortage of visits from the neighborhood cats either. Our three are spayed females and they hang out in the back yard. Still we get other cats in our yard. Maybe the Permethrin is attracting them.

Alan

While out moose hunting this fall I realized I had forgotten to get a new bug stuff. Used crumbled alder leaves. Get some of the oils out by crushing a bit and rub it on your arns. Plantain, that broad leaf plant in your yard is good for releaving the itch of bug bites. Show your kids.

Banned

When trying to cut down on the deet exposure, I started using the little vapor generating contraptions. You slide a small panel in the thing hit the pizio lighter and the butane starts sending out anti-bug vapors. These things really work!

Quote Originally Posted by bolocal View Post
    When I'm trying to avoid deet I've had somewhat good results with eucalyptus and lemon extracts.
    Lemon Eucalyptus EO works very well. DuckDuckGo for a recipe.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

As piper said , the thermocell works well

i stopped using deep woods off a few years ago.on account it stopped working for me.so i started looking for something else.that's when I came across deep woods cutter insect repellent. ive been using it ever since.i have 1 or 2 sray cans of it in with my camping gear.
    Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.

Cutter maks a few different insect repellents. Most of them contain DEET, same as Deep Woods Off. They do make one with lemon eucalytus as the active ingredient.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel