Thread: Bore sighting jig

Tool & Die Maker

Default Bore sighting jig

I can see myself doing plenty of bore sighting as I setup an AR-15 for wild hog hunting with different sights and scopes. Bore sighting works fairly well for me because the hogs are not far away, under 50 yards. I have rested the upper receive on a 48" step ladder and used pieces of wood to shim the receiver so the bore is aligned with the target. The problem is with the slightest bump of the ladder the project could end up on the ground so I decided to conjure up a jig to make bore sighting easier and safer for the rifle. I should consult with you guys before I build these projects instead of after because you always have some good ideas. I have it finished and plan to sight in some night vision scopes tonight in my back yard.

The center of gravity of the upper receiver is centered to the step ladder to improve stability and lessen the possibility of the rifle falling off the ladder. I included leveling jacks to help align the barrel with the target.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Upper receiver removed to see the jig.

10/18/17, Not sure how I lived without this jig.

Leaving for Florida November 4th
    Last edited by jim Glass; 10-18-2017 at 05:15 AM.

You know you are a retired machinist when.....................
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Tool & Die Maker

Just "zero'd" in my Thermo imaging scope. The jig worked great.

LOL...Of course you just made the coolest bore sighting jig ever.,....Very cool.
    I generally use my bench stand....on top of an old "Workmate"

Some I do in the basement with the stand and laser...with a small target...at about 20 ft....gets me on the paper.

Have been using a camera tripod.. for actually shooting at the range with the spotting scope.... so as to not jostle the scope by shooting

Of course most of my boresighting is single shots and bolt guns.....
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-11-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Dang it. That is just too cool.

That's awesome!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Pure overkill, which is what we have come to expect from you. Its that engineering thing.

I have a gun cleaning rest I use on my workmate combined with the green dot on the quilt square hanging on the neighbor's garden shed. Works great for back porch rifle zeroing.

If you bore sight at 37 yards you will be about 2" high at 100 and close at 200. An AR is not like a regular rifle that uses a 25 yard zero.

Theoretically anyway. I always have to adjust some at 100 to get right.

But like you say, It is real close at the specified range if your shots are close.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

Today I took the red dot scope off my AR-9 and mounted a carry handle on it and used the jig to bore sight to zero. I still get a kick out of shooting with iron sights. I'll take them to the gun club Saturday and test fire them. The jig works better that I expected because if I fiddle with the scope or a sight the barrel remains on the target. When I get to Florida I'll probably mount a night vision scope on the AR-15 .223 and then may move the night vision scope back and fourth from the 9mm to the .223. Ya, I'm going to try to bring down a hog with the 9mm. Bore sighting will be my only option, test firing won't be that easy. But the wild hogs are pretty large targets and at close range bore sighting will be plenty good. That's what I did last year and I never missed a hog. The thermo imaging scope takes pictures and videos through the scope so I hope to have some interesting pictures to post.

Using the jig for gun cleaning is a great idea, hadn't thought of that.