Thread: Old backpack frame, rusty rivets

Default Old backpack frame, rusty rivets

I picked up a neat old backpack with an external aluminium fram yesterday. the straps are in good condition. But, the rivets holding the straps to the frame, in a "layover and around" fashion, so the strap is attached to itself through a loop in the frame. It is fastened by a metal rivet. These rivets are rusting and I don't want to just cut them out either, because I'm affraid of losing strap length and I would rather not have to get new rivets because to me that would mean having to get a special tool and rivets and stuff.

I would like it to look somewhat nice. I don't have a sowing machine either.
    Ursäkta min Engelska

While a pop rivet is probably your best option (the rivets and tools are pretty cheap here, don't know about Sweden) you could use sheet metal screws, a bolt and nut or even cordage.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yep, you could remove the old rivets and glue the strap fabric together with a good adhesive while clamping it together using a screw, bolt and a couple of fender washers of appropriate size.

Leave the bolts and washers place and you should have a strong repair.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Does the rivet go through the frame or stop inside? If it goes through the frame you could use a bolt or Chicago screw. Sounds like the rivet goes through the strap. That should leave a hole in the strap for whatever you’re using. I don’t understand how you would lose strap length.

Why not just clean up the rivets?.....or are the completely messed up.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

A picture might help.

I second the Chicago screws (we call em something else at work...)
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

My suggestion would be to drill out the old rivets and replace them with aluminum pop rivets. I'm sure they have them in Sweden. They're not some obscure regional thing.

The trick is getting the old ones drilled out. If you don't know what pop rivets are, Google them and find out. Pick a drill bit that is the same size (or the next size up - I would say 1/64" larger, but I know that will mean nothing to you) as the shaft of the rivet, and drill into the head of the rivet until it comes apart. You will have to hold on to the back of the rivet somehow to keep it from spinning when you drill. Take out the pieces and put in a new rivet with a back-up washer. Voila! you're done.

If you have to buy some rivets and the pop-rivet tool, it's worth it. They are pretty handy, even if you don't use them often. When you need them, they're great.

Here are some pics (hopefully they will load properly):

Pop rivet:
    3ZJP8_AS01.jpeg

Pop rivet tool and rivets:
    91qVQL49F2L._SX355_.jpg

How they work:
    123-POP.tif.gif

Back-up washers for use with soft materials:
    Stainless-Steel-Rivet-Backing-Washers-min.jpg
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk