Thread: Bill Jordon's if you can shoot article

Default Bill Jordon's if you can shoot article

I must of read a lot of Bill Jordon articles when I was a kid because I'll come across something and it seems so familiar.

here is something I came across online, not a Bill Jordan article but Bill was included in the mix.

http://sheriffjimwilson.com/2012/07/...you-can-shoot/
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

S&w model 19’s were the Cadillac in their day. Got one with a 4 inch barrel. I used it working at the sheriffs dept. About 9 months ago I watched a deputy struggle with opening and closing a revolver even after watching how to do it. Sad.

I love my old S&W.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

There were certain people "back in the day" that held legendary status. Status so great that they were able to give the major companies advice on their products, and that advice resulted in legendary products that are still available today.

Bill Jordan was one of those people. He is pretty much responsible for the existence of the model 19 S&W just like Elmer Keith was responsible for the development of the M29 .44mag.

Also, back in the day, their writing was legendary. Bill wound up writing for Shooting Times I believe, and his articles were one of the things I looked forward to each month. His books were good too.

Bill fought in the Pacific during WW2. He then rode the border during a time when smuggling was as common as today, communication was nonexistent, and the border more vicious than today. He won the marksmanship award from the Border Patrol many years running. The fact that he could fish some humor from his experiences as well as pieces of life saving advice was remarkable.

It was a different time, and many of his stories ended with words like "I shot him twice and we buried him where he fell". You can not do that in the media of today.

He went on to be a regional rep/advisor for the NRA ad prolific gun writer. His job for the NRA was more PR than anything and he was one of the few people that ever discharged a firearm on the set of the Johnny Carson Show as a trick shooter.

No Second Place Winner is no longer spoken of in our digital, tacticool, mall ninja society. Too down to earth, too practical and written by a guy that carried a revolver and a shotgun as his primary arms. Today's "experts" just nod and talk about "good enough back then" as if they could hold a candle either mentally or tactically in a real world setting and not standing out in the open shooting cardboard.

I owned several model 19 S&W revolvers over the years. Several of them had their own stories that added to their character, or added or detracted from the character of their former owners. For many years they were the primary firearm in the holsters of police officers nationwide. As prolific as the Glock is today. While many city and county police departments issued standard .38 spl. revolvers most of the highway patrol departments issued the Mod 19.

I do not own one any more, just a knock off some lesser quality. But the design of Bill Jorden is still there, a mid-frame revolver chambered in .357. That concept still provides me with my favorite field gun.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-10-2017 at 03:42 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I met Bill Jordan years ago at the NRA's National Convention in Anaheim, Calif. He signed my copy of No Second Place Winner. Jordan's hands were the size of Virginia baked hams. It was interesting chatting with him as he was an amiable and pleasant man. Jeff Cooper was nearby as were Skeeter Skelton and Joe Foss. I knew Cooper having attended "Gunsite" in 1981, but had not met the other men. Interesting convention.

Randy T, you might pick up a copy of Jordan's book. Good information and stories.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Thanks for the comments. I have a copy of No Second Place Winner and enjoy having it.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?