Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slingshot or Slingbow What Should i Take on Alone All Stars

Makery and Mischief

Default Slingshot or Slingbow What Should i Take on Alone All Stars

So this is purely hypothetical I'm not under contract right now for a season of History channel Alone All-Stars. But I do take it for granted that it will happen unless the show goes under completely Which I don't see happening. It's just a matter of time and what a better way to spend my time but Preparing. After all I'll be going up against Alan , Dave, Jim and Ted's excellent adventure And I suppose a few others by the time they put it together All of which will have never quit. My brain has been busy coming up with new hacks for my gear And refining my 10 items list. I don't intend to change Any of my items. With the exception The slingshot Which won't be Swapped out for something different as much as Upgraded. I was only allowed 30 pieces of ammo for the slingshot which I painted pink so I could recover it and shoot it as many times as possible. In the end I pretty much just shot rocks every day for practice And brought all but two or three of the pink ammo home. There was Almost nothing to shoot the slingshot at But when that day came I was ready and got that one bird with my slingshot and a rock i was saving for the day. I cooked it for like two hours in the fish head soup and after 70 something days Of fish that was the best thing I had ever eaten. But I'm going to have to do a lot better than that if I'm going to out survive the others next time. I feel like I dropped the ball little bit by not making arrows out of the bamboo there and making a slingbow to shoot fish. The odds of that being successful are very slim but it may have been a better use of my time then making 200 spoons for Christmas Presents. But if I just started off with the right slingshot that could shoot arrows and still be a slingshot I could probably bring home the bacon. As long as there was something to shoot. So if the archers going out on Alone can bring a bow and six arrows. It shouldn't be too hard to get permission to bring a slingbow With six arrows. I'm thinking 2 with broadheads, 2 with fishing heads, and 2 with Practice tips. I have to make a primitive spool for the front the slingshot But I don't see that being too difficult when it comes to the fishing. I've even managed to shoot fish With regular slingshot ammo but that means you have to jump in and get them. I haven't shot my bow since I picked up the slingshot three months before heading out on Alone. And back then I made my arrows by hand from the sitka spruce of old boats masts. They were gorgeous but not the most durable things in the world when you missed as often as i did.

I'm thinking Fiberglass arrows might be the most Durable arrow to bring. What do you guys recommend?

And I've been shooting simple shot Hammer but I want something that goes in my pocket so it's always with me and the hammer is a little big. Has Anyone Tried Shooting arrows With a slingbow braced only with a lanyard?

Video Link >>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUN_...0hiSg&index=11
    Attached Images Attached Images

I didn't know another show was in the offing! Sounds very interesting. Hard to know what to take until the location is announced. It's probably wise to spend some time practicing with sling and bow just to be prepared.

Bow....with fiberglass arrows and a few Dumdums...(bird points)
    JMO
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

wouldnt carbon fiber arrows be better?
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The real question is not which to take or which arrow is best.

The real question is did the item taken produce more food than replacing the item with an allotment of food would provide.

You can carry something to get calories or you can carry calories.

If the thing you carry, and the energy it requires for use, does not provide at least the number of calories another food ration would equal, the tool is a waste.

BTW, it does not matter who they clump together for any special I will not be watching any season of Alone. Sorry Zach, the show is a 10 segment slumber party.

If two whinney Canadian @$$%*! can win the show has lost all meaning.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I tried the sling bow and wasn’t impressed. I’d take the sling bow. Then make a bow for the arrows and have the sling for chunking rocks .

You’re going to be out a loooong time. You might want to take a hoe, watering bucket and vegetable seed.
    http://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/gardens...-less-pictures
    Lol

Or a map to the nearest Wendy's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Or a map to the nearest Wendy's.
    I could tell you a funny story about that.....LOL

...or, change the youtube. Makery, mischief and scurvy. You could probably make something from your teeth as they fall out. Lol

Take para cord or similar rope. You can make bow and arrows for fish/game, or many snares that supply food. Learn piyute trigger good for mice up to deer etc. Have Swedish fire steel, good carbon knife and spare. Learn bow and hand drill to start fire and how to make shelters including debris shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
    Take para cord or similar rope. You can make bow and arrows for fish/game, or many snares that supply food. Learn piyute trigger good for mice up to deer etc. Have Swedish fire steel, good carbon knife and spare. Learn bow and hand drill to start fire and how to make shelters including debris shelter.
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome......
    Good input.
    You di know that the OP was started by the winner of Alone Patagonia here a years or so ago....Right?

Probably then he knows more than me. Another option to his point would be just a sling. It shoots rocks well and does not take too long to practice.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Does all this mean that I now have to replace my revolver and shotgun with a rubber band powered device?

The rubber powered stuff really does not work well in my area. After about 6 months the rubber breaks down and crumbles, the bands break and the whole thing falls apart. I do not even try to preserve them and keep them in my long term stores any more due to rapid decomposition. There is a Wrist Rocket hanging in the shop right now with the crumbling remains of the last renewal rubber still clinging to its frame.

I really do not remember having to make the decision on if a slingshot or some other rubber band powered do-hicky was best since I was 9 and obtained by first BB gun.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

As the OP was about slingshot vs sling bow....on a specific TV show when fire arms are not allowed....that does narrow does the choices.

If you watched any of Zack Fowler's vid's.....he is a good shot with a sling shot and has worked with some legends.....so his question would be valid.
    On the other hand some vid's by Bishop (another member) I think did show some slingbow shooting fish... as well as hitting beer cans along the road with his slingshot......

The slingshot maybe the best choice only because ammo, (rocks) should be more available than bolts.

That’s part of the reason for the blowgun thread. Whatever that’s worth. Maybe not so much. I’m still waiting for mine to show up. Then, I’ll know for myself which I’d choose.

I'm thinking atlatl. But, hey, that's just me.

The slingshot maybe the best choice only because ammo, (rocks) should be more available than bolts.
    Not around here. Rocks, other than those purchased for landscaping are hard to come by.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

A simple sling can be made with string, rope including pocket to hold rocks if available. In woodlands we can pretty easily make cordage.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
    A simple sling can be made with string, rope including pocket to hold rocks if available. In woodlands we can pretty easily make cordage.
    Are you talking about a "sling" or "sling shot"?