Thread: I'm going to go buy a lottery ticket

Default I'm going to go buy a lottery ticket

Do they still have the Irish sweepstakes? I'm feeling lucky.

I pulled the barrel from a k98 mauser a bit a go. Here is the thread about it http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...he-games-begin

Anyhoo I modified my action wrench and made up some new barrel blocks from beech. I'll apologize now to the purists, I don't know the latin name for this particular beech tree. I'm in northern michigan so take a wild azz guess and you'll be close enough. I then degreased the barrel where it sits in the beech blocks, I used starting fluid for this. Tightened the barrel vise down. Put the action wrench on it and gave it a little "snap" and the barrel popped loose. I was really sweating this, I feel lucky. To be fair This action and barrel was upright in the basement stairway and every now and then I would give it a squirt of kroil, right where the action and barrel meet up. This went on for a few weeks.

Now to step two, pulling the rear sight base from the old barrel. It has a small screw and is soldered on. This could be a PIA because I want to reuse it.

One more thing I couldn't find my powdered rosin, really wanted to sprinkle a bit on the barrel and blocks.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

WOW, Impressive......
    Every one in a while stuff goes right....LOL

I would have to beat it off the a 6lb sledge....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have had them go POP before, but usually it was because the receiver had cracked!

I hope the fitting up of the new barrel goes as smoothly.

BTW I have a nice M95 Spanish model that needs a rebarrel and an Enfield that could use some attention if you get really bored this winter.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I do believe all your luck was used up on the Mauser. I would not bother with the lottery ticket. Don't worry. Be happy.

not really, I'm on a lucky streak. Found some lump rosin so powdered a dab up and put the new barrel in. Now I'm watching Big Jake, starring John Wayne.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

KUDOS to you randyt! Job well done.

Congrats again......enjoy while you can......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What do you mean you are watching Big Jake?

I thought he was dead!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

so did Richard Boone but he found out otherwise.

Big Jake - best introduction of a main character in cinema history.

Great dialogue, too.

"If you haven't learned to respect your elders, it's time you learned to respect your BETTERS!"

"The sight of blood bother you?" "Only my own."

And, of course, using Richard Boone's own words against him.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Things are still looking good. When I ordered the replacement barrel, the add didn't really say if it was short chambered. Figured if I had to the shoulder and face could be turned down and then head spaced. As it is the barrel was already short chambered. Now to find my .308 finish reamer and T handle.