Thread: Canadian Thanksgiving

Default Canadian Thanksgiving

This is thanksgiving weekend here in Canada....shout out to any other canucks who might be hanging around.

because of this, I'm heading to my mom's place in about an hour. That'll be noon local time, I'm going that early because somehow she's hosting but I'm cooking the actual meal, which it's just occurred to me is roughly what she's done for holiday meals since I was 18....TB comes home for the holidays, says "what are we having for dinner?" Mom says "Well, I have some such and such" TB says "cool, how are you preparing it?" Mom looks at TB significantly.

The beauty is that now that I expect it....and particularly since she spends part of her year in the same city as me....I tend to have a phone call with her a few days beforehand, so I can plan out what I'm going to do and ask her to pick anything that I might need up. Also I'm, false modesty being nobody's friend, a better cook than she is, and enjoy doing things like roasting turkeys more.

All this being said, however, it hits me that she started teaching me to cook when I was a little boy, and had me cooking one or two meals a week at 10, and while at the time she said she wanted me to be self sufficient (10 is also when I was expected to mend my own clothes and do my own laundry), I'm halfway convinced that she was planning this all along. Possibly on the logic that I would take after my dad, who cooks like and angel and loves it.

Tundrabadger's mom...master planner.

Very cool...sounds like a great tradition.

Funny how that works out.
    My younger brother is the chief...was a professional for many years...but hard to make a decent living unless you have a TV show.

Works for the school system...Now...
    I digress....
    He was cooking for as long as I can remember.....and as he was 10 years younger....never really hung out until he was out of college.
    I was never home.

Now all the family get togethers are at their house...and we love going....

SIL is an engineer and decorator...so her and I have much more in common.....
    She bakes and make clothes.
    Ask her why one time....She said..." Baking and clothes making....is chemistry and science ....Cooking is an art form...need that feeling and knack."

You must have the "Knack"....Have fun.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Happy Thanksgiving Day and enjoy the food!

update: the bird smells good so far. Rice stuffing with walnuts and dried cherries if anybody was wondering.

Rosie the dog, this being Mom's golden, is delighted to see us. Stepfather's mom is wandering around cleaning things, which is like "sit down for pity's sake, Helga, you're a guest, and it's actually quite clean".

Mollie the dog, meanwhile, is very confused because mom lives in a three story townhouse and we live in a bungalow, so she doesn't know what to make of all these stairs.

Back to being sociable, only have the computer out to mop up an assignment and then Mom wanted to see pictures of my friends new baby.

Internet in Canada.....making note...oops...prendre note

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

OK tell me again,

Why do Canadians have Thanksgiving?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

According to Wiki the day is celebrated the second Monday in October because they are no longer a part of France, England, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Honduras or Brooklyn. I made have made a couple of those up.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    OK tell me again,

Why do Canadians have Thanksgiving?
    To offer thanks and celebrate a bountiful harvest? As proclaimed by Governor General Vincent Massey in 1957, and celebrated sporadically but not on consistent dates there before....much like in the states. Except for 1957 and the Governor General

Festivus for the rest of us? Thanks sinfeld

Seems Canada is celebrating "Thanksgiving" for getting the heck out of wherever they were before.......

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I was actually wondering what they had to be thankful for but TB said it was for a bountiful harvest.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hey a party is a party.....
    Get everyone together ..... , relatives, friends, in-laws, out-laws....eat too much, drink too much..and talk about those that didn't show up.

Guys watch football American football..... while the women go shopping.......

Whats not to like?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Hey a party is a party.....
    Get everyone together ..... , relatives, friends, in-laws, out-laws....eat too much, drink too much..and talk about those that didn't show up.

Guys watch football American football..... while the women go shopping.......

Whats not to like?

Football? When the hockey season has started and the Sens are totally going to take the cup this year, I mean it's bound to happen eventually?

All seriousness my parents moved recently and I have genuinely no idea what they did with their television. I assume they still have one, they don't seem to have actually set it up anywhere. Mom has *views*. But it was fun. i was cooking something ridiculous, My wife walked the dogs with my mom and sister, my brother in law appeared briefly, ate my food while making little conversation and then left without ceremony, and my stepfather hung out with his mother. Good times.

Thanks, Canada, for all the snow we're getting today. No, really, I've been waiting all year.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

What is this thing called snow of which you speak?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Think of it as salt with a short contract.

Ah...........Margarita salt.........that never seems to last.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I swear when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be a beaver recipe.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.