Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friends....?

Default Friends....?

Not real sure where to put this......but a few thoughts occurred to me today...

In have been building a new gate for across my driveway.....Replacing one I built maybe 15 years ago.

It swings open and folds in two....so covers a 12 ft. driveway but is only 8' folded against the stockade fence.

Made for a dog eared fence section to match the stockade fence around the yard...(the neighbors fence...

Got it mostly done....just need to hang it up.......12 ft long ...2 sections 8 and about 4'
    Maybe pic's later.

I was as taking a break...DW comes out of the house....where she retreated after she got mad at me because she couldn't lift a panel.......dropped her end.....and I hollered at her....

I was being an a$$ whole....but she really needs to let me know if she can't do it....not much help of if it's to much to handle or too heavy......and some one gets hurt.

Then she asked...How did you hang it last time?

Thought about it a realized it was a group of friends that had helped me...then partied with beers and steaks.. after.

We were trying to think who can still do the lifting and general work of a project like this.....

The friends....are mostly all gone.....Passed away, divorced, move way for work or retired out of state.
    Those tat are still around can't do the lifting...surgeries, heart, bad back, knees, and all sorts of afflictions....or just don't want to be bothered.

And they don't want to miss their nap.....LOL

You realize how valuable those people are or were...family, co -workers, hunting partners...and just long time friends.

Over the years, I/we have done most anything any one has asked.....moved, built garages, decks, poured concrete, done roofing, basements...plumbing...work at fences...(my problem now) cutting trees splitting fire wood, tilling gardens...etc. etc.

I even went to Home Depot...no "day laborers"......LOL

Been helping out the neighbor guy with doors in his basement after the flood....with my tools...he doesn't have much......
    So hoping to have him help me...

So if you have friend(s)...treat them very well.....they go away fast.... as the years go by.....

To be continued....
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-05-2017 at 11:18 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yea they do. I'll miss them. No one was perfect but we had a good time. Lol. We still have the stories.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Yea they do. I'll miss them. No one was perfect but we had a good time. Lol. We still have the stories.
    Yes we do...but need a "John Wayne fencer lifter"....stories come later.

A man's good friends are important to him like brothers, but the ones you chosen.
    Agreed look after them.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Most of my friends are gone now. They were ww 2 era veterans. Looking back I provided the "muscle" they provided the wisdom, I got the better end of the deal
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Default @Hunter

Boy, do I hear you!
    A few friends of that sort are too far away and the ones around here just couldn't handle it if they wanted to.
    I'm at the point where I can't even find reliable people to do it for money. When I do, I am extra generous.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Boy, do I hear you!
    A few friends of that sort are too far away and the ones around here just couldn't handle it if they wanted to.
    I'm at the point where I can't even find reliable people to do it for money. When I do, I am extra generous.
    Used to be...I need tools, I need parts, I need to know how, I need to get busy...
    Now It ...I need a "Guy"...

I am my own worst enemy when it comes to doing things that aren't routine. I take time to read up on it, then get all the right material and tools, then take extra time with the prep, then do a slow deliberate job and before I know it, weeks and months have passed. The perfect is the enemy of the good, is my middle name.
    Mr. B, who is real good when he actually does anything just doesn't want to spend what little free time he has doing chores. I, on the other hand do, because I can't find anyone I trust to do a good job.
    So we've got us a situation here.

I hear ya...some time I think that is a method of procrastination...so as to not actually do it...

Gate is ready to go up....8 bolts and done.
    Now I taking break waiting on equipment.

Just ordered a couple of wood furniture dollies from Walmart.....$30 bucks a pair.
    Figure I can just stand them up and brace them...wheel into place.....

When done , slip them under the genset to make it easier to move around...

To be continued....

I am my own worst enemy when it comes to doing things that aren't routine. I take time to read up on it, then get all the right material and tools, then take extra time with the prep, then do a slow deliberate job and before I know it, weeks and months have passed. The perfect is the enemy of the good, is my middle name.
    Mr. B, who is real good when he actually does anything just doesn't want to spend what little free time he has doing chores. I, on the other hand do, because I can't find anyone I trust to do a good job.
    So we've got us a situation here.
    You should be my neighbor. Be happy to help.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I had some grape vines taking over my backyard this summer...which it should be pointed out just kind of happened to me, and the grapes were awful. I don't drink anymore, so I wasn't going to be making wine, and I don't care for grape jelly, so there was a fair chunk of the yard and my garage being consumed for no real benefit. Except insofar as the birds liked the grapes. So I went out a few times and hacked them back, but they kept coming back. Eventually I had a vine clearing bee with the lady who owns the house to the back of me, one afternoon and we cleared the vines, hacked down some weed trees, and brainstormed a really nice perenial bed that i'm going to put in by the back fence one of these days. Amazing what another pair of hands and somebody to egg you on can do

Quote Originally Posted by tundrabadger View Post
    I had some grape vines taking over my backyard this summer...which it should be pointed out just kind of happened to me, and the grapes were awful. I don't drink anymore, so I wasn't going to be making wine, and I don't care for grape jelly, so there was a fair chunk of the yard and my garage being consumed for no real benefit. Except insofar as the birds liked the grapes. So I went out a few times and hacked them back, but they kept coming back. Eventually I had a vine clearing bee with the lady who owns the house to the back of me, one afternoon and we cleared the vines, hacked down some weed trees, and brainstormed a really nice perenial bed that i'm going to put in by the back fence one of these days. Amazing what another pair of hands and somebody to egg you on can do
    Bingo.....and you have made a friend....Congrats.

BTW....I am bracing the rollers under the fence.....on piece to complete.....
    BUT need to pick up and lay on horses.......sao as to finish the last piece ......
    So, back to break time.

Guess this is the only kind of contribution I can make on the topic of friends: I've discovered that I judge people, for friend potential, based on if I'd want to associate with them either in a serious post-collapse world, or in a primitive wilderness survival situation...

...I've always been on an intellectual journey to know the character and morals of people, whether I really knew it or not. To be able to objectively psychologically profile them in this respect. We all do this to some extent, but I mean that I've taken it to unusual depths of revelation and self examination. Well, I've never been too obsessed with prepping or bunker building type stuff, but since I have always been interested in primitive wilderness survival and off-the-grid topics...I've inevitably explored this as well. For example, as a learning exercise I asked myself once "how would I build a survival bunker" if I were to do it in real life...how would such a thing really need to be. In the process, I've further developed my attitude that even though lots of things are very important, the most important thing above all else is who you associate with and being able to see who someone else really is. All of the elements of their true character and why some things are desirable and other things undesirable. I've discovered or figured out a very interesting, accurate, and effective framework for thinking to apply that seems to lay all of humanity bare. The real definitive of the 'human condition' that seems to be difficult for many to recognize.

So anyway...I think that it's interesting that I've ended up judging someone according to whether or not I'd want to be with them in a post-collapse world or a primitive wilderness survival situation. According to certain elements of their attitude and disposition. If I could trust and respect them in certain areas. I don't have very many friends. Even people who say that they're picky about who they call their friend...have more friends than I have. I have a few 'allies' to certain degrees in the here-and-now world, and I maintain them as is appropriate...but in certain aforementioned situations, they wouldn't be my friends.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

A true friend is the person that you don't kill or they kill you....... in a 2 man tent in the pouring rain for a week.

A true friend is one that says to you, listen if you can make it and I am clearly not gona make it, gives you permission to eat him if you need to survive.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Sounds like me.

For the longest time, I was a "planner". I'd thoroughly research how to do a particular thing, make sketches and drawings, etc., and never get around to actually doing it. (Rabbit trail: This was helpful in recognizing it in one of my daughter's boyfriends. She figured it out, and broke up with him, but if she hadn't I would've pointed out to her.)

Then I switched over to just doing stuff without having to make it "perfect", but more often than not, the projects were a failure.

I've reached a middle-ground now. I do right, (or the "proper" way, as Wranglerstar would say), but I don't go overboard. If it needs extra detail, or work, I do it, but if it doesn't, I don't. I'm an engineer, and sometimes, "good enough" is good enough. Sometimes it isn't and I go the extra mile.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post
    Sounds like me.

For the longest time, I was a "planner". I'd thoroughly research how to do a particular thing, make sketches and drawings, etc., and never get around to actually doing it. (Rabbit trail: This was helpful in recognizing it in one of my daughter's boyfriends. She figured it out, and broke up with him, but if she hadn't I would've pointed out to her.)

Then I switched over to just doing stuff without having to make it "perfect", but more often than not, the projects were a failure.

I've reached a middle-ground now. I do right, (or the "proper" way, as Wranglerstar would say), but I don't go overboard. If it needs extra detail, or work, I do it, but if it doesn't, I don't. I'm an engineer, and sometimes, "good enough" is good enough. Sometimes it isn't and I go the extra mile.
    I hear ya....
    I'm a work it out "in my head" type person.......even waking up in the morning with a plan "L" or "D"...
    Comes from a lot of years of logistics(?)...I guess
    I do try to look at the big picture and not get bogged down on details...dealing with detail variation as I go along.

Projects are thought about....many cases deciding that not bothering with it...after the "first flash of inspiration".

But there is always....Well, need to get going so let"s just wing it and go for it.....details and extra work are worth in most cases.....
    Then again, had a "friend" (that has passed)...favorite saying was, "Good enough for who it's for"....But his good enough was better that most people "trying real hard to do it right".

Dolly have not arrived yet...but have added steel bracing on the wheels (one to go).

Project....so you see what I talking about
    \
    Old gate:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Folds back on itself uses 2 wheel to hold the weight:

Folded back against the east fence out of the way...allows full width of drive way to be used....wide loads, trailers backing it etc.

New sections....

Wheel installed....no bracing yet
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-10-2017 at 02:26 PM.

I'm stealing that idea. But I'll call it hunter's gate.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I'm stealing that idea. But I'll call it hunter's gate.
    Feel free...there is one more in town that I helped a guy plan out...his is chain-link.

It was almost published in Mother Earth News....I was paid...for pic's and article...but never made it into the magazine.
    Did have a couple of other ideas that were published.

Thought about it a long time...and needed to have as much room as possible...and NOT have a long span to deal with.