Thread: Unretired?

Default Unretired?

Not really, but it's a new adventure. I'm picking up a part time job as a courtesy clerk (that's probably a bagboy to all ya'll). I find that I miss having a job and I can certainly use some extra income. After four years, though, I find I'm having to readapt to the schedule. The corporate office, where three days of training happens, is two buses and a train away. It's a nice trip and maybe now I'll actually get the 20 minutes of exercise a day my Dr. wants me to have.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Congrats. Having some activity or purpose after retirement is important. Whether it is a hobby or volunteering or another income really doesn't matter. Staying active and being involved does matter.

Lot ofr people do...Congrats.
    It's nice to know that you can just walk out if they pizz you off.....(joke)

Quite a few people "volunteer" at the hospital where I go to the gym....
    They sort stuff, guide people around......sit around and BS a lot...LOL

That gets them free gym privileges, place to go.....and friends....many have lost a spouse....so is a social event.

Thought about it...when have time....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Congrats. I agree that having a reason to get up in the morning (other than to pee) is important. Hope you have fun.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

No joke, Hunter. These seem to be great people, but I told them to start with that I wasn't looking to unretire. I just missed having work outside the home. Thing about it is....they won't pizz me off. So I guess I'm stuck.

True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am just the opposite. As I have grown older courtesy is an optional decision. You do not realize how many posts I erase before you guys and the FBI can read what I really think.

It has been determined that I should not be allowed out into open society any more than absolutely necessary.

They took a vote.

One of my friends asked me what it would take to get me back into the work force once, and I told him my requirements;

A job I absolutely love.
    Unlimited vacation days.
    I set my own hours on a daily basis but never earlier than 10am or latter than 2pm.
    $100,000 a year salary

His reply was "you don't really want to work do you?"

My answer; "That's why I freekin' retired! If I wanted to keep working I would have stayed where I was!"
    Come to the dark side, we have pudding.

Ahhh...You are looking for a "position"...... then?
    Just good to get out of the house.....

Had to interview new employee prospects...in a previous life....
    Many would come in to the interview..... to tell me that they were there for the "Position of whatever".

I would tell them...
    "We have Job openings...The only "position" around here is mine...not a bad gig and I plan of keeping it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

This happened at my last job (Sears Termite and Pest Control).

I had an applicant come in. He was an older gentleman - quite a bit older, but I didn't ask (HR violations and all that). When I explained what the job entailed I asked if he really thought he could do the job. He reluctantly said that he was probably not able to meet the physical demands.

After a cup of coffee I finally did ask how old he was. 92! When I asked why he was looking for work at 92 he said that his wife just divorced him and that he needed the money.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Aside from extra money, being socially plugged in is a huge health benefit. So congrats on a smart move. I have a feeling you'll love it.

Well, we'll see how it goes. My advantage is that, although I want this job - I don't need it. It's a freeing feeling.

Congrats! I'm too young to retire although with the way things are going I expect to work until I die. It's hard to say now (at age 48) but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. As Benesse says it's good stay socially engaged. I tend to be kind of a loner anyway so work gives me a chance to socialize a bit. Statistically people tend to die within a few year of retiring. Maybe that's because they retire around the time that mortality would begin to spike to begin with, but I suspect it's because they lose their purpose for living. Even if you don't really like your job, work can be a big part of one's identity for many of us. Strip away work and what are we? I like to think that if I was independently wealthy I'd have plenty of interests to keep me busy but I don't mind the idea of working so long as I am physically fit enough to do so.

It sounds like you have the ideal situation- working so long as you don't mind it with the complete freedom to walk if you like.

I think people dying when they retire is hogwash. Mostly because

Hahaha! It surely helps to have things to do in retirement. If I don't die at work I have a lot of things I'd like to do in retirement. Although it might sound silly, catching up on reading is one of them. My grampa on my mom's side spent 8-10 hours every day reading old westerns. Mostly Zane Grey and Lois La'More IIRC. He had a big box of 'em and I expect he'd reread them dozens of times.

The view of retirement downstream is sure different than after you go over the falls...

While I was at my job every day (notice I didn't say working...) I had a plan for my retirement. Absolutely NONE of it has happened yet and I'm three years in. I suppose that's my fault. Some of it was beyond my control, but not all of it.

Alan