Thread: Tom Petty RIP

Default Tom Petty RIP

Tom Petty......RIP

I can't believe noone brought it up.....

"Mary Jane's Last Dance"

Well, I don't know, but I've been told
    You never slow down, you never grow old.....

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/tomp...lastdance.html
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Very distinctive voice. In the spring of 1980 I bought a 1975 mercury cougar that had been previously owed by a deaf lady. It had factory 8 track that had never been used. I went to the local music store in Osceola AR. and bought 3 tapes. Molly Hatchet, .38 Special and Tom Petty's Damn the Torpedoes. By that fall I was having to use the old matchbook shim trick the tape was so wore out. R.I.P. Tom Petty.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Yeah....I hear ya....

This is a spooky vid.....
    I would rather just hear the music...I can make m own vid in my head.

So if you like Mary Jane's Last Dance......maybe don't watch it??

Last edited by hunter63; 10-05-2017 at 07:48 PM.

I wondered as well.
    Tom Petty is pretty much the soundtrack of my life.
    At least the part starting after the late 70s.
    Only just discovered his radio station on the Sirius XM radio my new car has for a few more weeks for free.
    Never realized what a savvy dude he was. Strong personality. Very smart and very musically gifted.
    Way too early to lose him.

Here's a really great interview.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIJc3HQBUEI

That is a creepy video H63.
    This one is the one I liked better though:
    https://youtu.be/h0JvF9vpqx8
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

thought you might be interested in this interview on the make of Last Dance.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2906

i heard the other day that he had just passed, sad
    i saw him preform at comisky park in chicago many moons ago.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

Bad thing about videos....Not just this one....but all music videos.......They show up in your head every time you hear the song.....

Some time I just like to let my imagination flow.....

Worked many years on the 3:00 to 11:00 P.M. shift......
    Couldn't sleep ( no interweb...LOL)....So used to read Stephen King and listen to Pink Floyd, Ventures, Zeppelin...and others...Thru the head phones.

Like listening to Zeppelin when reading Tolkien.......Lol.

I enjoyed his music. However, I enjoy different kinds. Some c & w, and others... whatever sounds good. I've bought one record in my entire life. Black sabath, iron man (not proud of that). That was my focus at the time. Working out and usmc. Kind of funny how age changes your perspective.

Music seems to be like chocolate - if you stop consuming it, you get to where it isn't important to you any more.

Back when my office was in a building behind the main building, I listened to music constantly when I had no client with me. I listened to everything (except puck rock and rap - I never developed a taste for those), and everything became background music - even heavy metal. Then they moved me into the main building and I couldn't play music constantly so I got to where I didn't miss it. The folks I live with keep up with all the new music and I'm always asking, "Who?"
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

That's no joke. I have no idea who half the movie stars ... any of the movie stars are. None of the musicians are, except the obnoxious one that sticks her tongue out. I need a big hook and 100 lb test but I digress.

There were those that said Rock and Roll was a passing fad.....LOL

I don't follow much of anything lately......don't know who any of the "Stars" are...
    Guys all look the same....

Ladies ,
    Blonds with long hair, skinny....shoulders hanging out.
    Dark hair ...big butts and shoulders hanging out.

I guess I have just gotten old.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Got one of those window visor CD racks over each of the visors in the vehicles. Flip them down and it looks like a history of the '70s and 80's.

I still remember one incident in the mid '90s when I was conned into driving a dozen of my daughter's "mall rat" friends to the mall on Friday night. They all jumped into the Cherokee and I turned on the ignition to have Bob Seeger and the Silver Bullet Band blast out of the speakers. My daughter almost did a back flip trying to turn that music off. One of her friends protested that BS & SBB was her favorite oldies group and Her parents played them all the time.

Suddenly every girl in the SUV knew every word to Against the Wind, Night Moves and every other song on the track.

R&R will never die, but they are not writing songs like Mary Jane and Bad to the Bone any more.

Somehow I just can not see myself buying a pickup truck when the background music for the commercial is Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

I hope Tom died naturally and peacefully. I hope that for all the rock and rollers that are left. God knows we have lost too many of them too young and due to stupid stuff.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-06-2017 at 05:13 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I saw the lyrics to a rap song recently and told one of my kids that the lyrics make no sense. They told me the words are just supposed to "rap" well. Not make sense. Huh?

I'll still take Witchy Woman thank you

Every time I go by the fiddle, guitar, and squeeze box preformers at the farmer's market....I throw a few buck in the guitar case...take out my BIC...wave it around over my head....Yelling... "Freebird, Freebird ...

Now they use cell phones for lights...but haven't figured out how to light your ...aaaaah... Medicine?, yeah that's the ticket....medicine....with a cell phone...
    Is there an app for that?

One of these days they may even play it...
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-06-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Tom Petty had a heart attack in the early hours of Monday morning, and was probably brain dead before they got him to the hospital, which is probably where the erroneous early report came from. They got his heart going again and had him on life support most of Monday but honored his wishes and let him go. He passed away somewhere around 10 or 11pm Eastern time. There was a vigil all day on his XM radio station as they waited for word, asking all day to say a prayer for him, but that it didn't look good. The guys on air all this week were his friends and still taking calls from his musician friends and people whose lives he touched, while playing the music non-stop. The stuff you don't hear on the radio station play lists.

If you listen to this 2002 Petty song, you'll understand what happened to Rock and Roll. Petty saw it coming and it's pretty much killed the industry. Now it's all lip synch and autotune garbage and $180 seat tickets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evs5HjjL0PM
    Last edited by LowKey; 10-06-2017 at 08:27 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant