Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: propane tank refills

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default propane tank refills

Anyone but me refill 1# tanks from the big tank?

I am scrambling around getting ready for winter and refilled a dozen this afternoon.

Most do not completely fill but they take about 3/4 of full and that is better than having to buy them two at a time from Wallmart. A lot cheaper too.

I have better than a dozen of them around so not being completely full is no real problem, the lantern just burns 4 hours instead of 5.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I do. I haven't used any in so long though I couldn't put my hand on the little valve thingy in the next three days though. I'll need to find it soon though. I bought one of those propane insect foggers and it uses those little tanks. The fogger works great as long as the propane holds out.

Alan

Used to......Havn't done them for a while....

1# mostly used for blind heater...
    Everything else has the hose connector.

Seem they were not filling too well in cold weather....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've never had any luck doing it. Perhaps I've done it incorrectly.

What is this thing called winter of which you speak?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    What is this thing called winter of which you speak?
    Season with no mosquitos......http://www.miamiherald.com/news/stat...176459191.html

I have filled a lot of them over the years.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

You just have to make sure you're filling them with liquid and not gas. I fill off of the 5 gal tanks because they are easy to turn upside down.

Alan

The trick to filling the little cylinders is to put the little bottles in the fridge and chill them, then leave the big tank in the sun until the warm part of the day.

The small cylinder will suck itself full due to the temperature difference causing the gas to contract as it enters the chilled cylinder.

It is nearly impossible to fill the cylinders if the big tank has been left out in the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The trick to filling the little cylinders is to put the little bottles in the fridge and chill them, then leave the big tank in the sun until the warm part of the day.

The small cylinder will suck itself full due to the temperature difference causing the gas to contract as it enters the chilled cylinder.

It is nearly impossible to fill the cylinders if the big tank has been left out in the cold.
    Well there is more to the trick - one has to seal the top with a pressure brass cap. Once offered at Cabellas.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I had turned the 20s upside down but never chilled the 1lb bottles. That may have been the reason. That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Well there is more to the trick - one has to seal the top with a pressure brass cap. Once offered at Cabellas.
    Huh? ...Pressure cap?..... mine is just a brass adaptor goes for big tank to little tank....and a schrader valve tool or needle nose pliers.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...osable-propan/

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Huh? ...Pressure cap?..... mine is just a brass adaptor goes for big tank to little tank....and a schrader valve tool or needle nose pliers.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...osable-propan/
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mr-He...ps/1151607.uts

The smaller tanks leak once refilled.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I had turned the 20s upside down but never chilled the 1lb bottles. That may have been the reason. That makes sense.
    You only need to chill them 10 minutes in the freezer.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I did notice that all the tanks I had refilled back in 2010 had gone flat but I can not for the life of me remember is I had used the gas inside and returned them to the crate or if they had leaked on their own.

They may leak some but not enough to worry about, and slow seepage does not matter if you are going to use them rapidly.

Great for filling a half dozen for a weekend camping trip when you are using the small cans for stoves, heaters and lanterns. When the refill costs $.25-$.50 you can afford to lose the gas from them over the course of the next 6 months.

You also have the option of keeping them screwed to the appliances to seal them. I usually keep a propane lantern with tank attached just like I keep the kerosene lanterns partly filled at all times and batteries in the flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You also have the option of keeping them screwed to the appliances to seal them. I usually keep a propane lantern with tank attached just like I keep the kerosene lanterns partly filled at all times and batteries in the flashlight.
    I have problems with the re-filled bottles leaking, too. I can smell it and hear the leak when I put it up to my ear. I'm too cheap to buy those caps. They will pay for themselves eventually, but I just do what kyrat said: I put the bottle onto some sort of appliance.

Great minds think alike.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Someone just got insulted I think. I'm not sure who.

I made my refill rig from a POL, a chunk of hose, ball valve and a tank adapter. I can fill my small tanks to 80 percent,. If I'm so inclined I can lay the tank on a scale and zero the scale out and then fill it to 80 percent.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Someone just got insulted I think. I'm not sure who.
    In person, I say something like: "We think alike. One of us should be worried."
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk