Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gravity and dexterity...

Default Gravity and dexterity...

I've decided that whenever I want to pick up something from now on, I'm just going to reach up and knock it off on the floor and take as much other stuff with it as I can. I'll swear it has gotten to where any time I pick up anything half or all of it just falls out of my hands. All I can do is watch it hit the floor. I reach up for a box today. It said 500 230 gr .452 RN on the side. Now gravity was pulling pretty hard on that box I'll concede, but as soon as my hands touch it they stopped working and here it came. No stopping it, hit the workbench and busted wide open I was able to pin the box against the bench just as #499 and #500 hit the floor and rolled under the bench with #200 - #498. #1 - #199 were scattered everywhere but in one place. I didn't even curse. I just started picking them up and dropping them in the box which had only busted open at the opening.

By that time I just wasn't in the mood any more.

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I missed this post back when you made it Allen.

Welcome to the world of the old geezers.

At this point not only do your hands not actually grasp what you are reaching for, your eyes do not actually focus on the object where it actually exists! It is not where you see it, it is two inches to the right or left and the the floaters scooting around inside you eyeballs have tricked you into thinking it is moving and not sitting still.

The steps are no longer where they used to be so you are climbing steps that are not there but your bifocals told you they were in your way. That or you stumble over the curb you did not realize was there because it was right where the line between the lenses fell.

Then there is the occasional vertigo due to the blood pressure meds along with the goofy dizziness due to the changes in blood sugar levels you no longer have control over.

Eventually you will have a situation where you have to sit down. It does not matter where you are or what you are doing, you simply have to sit down, there is no other option and someone better come up with a chair and I mean RIGHT NOW!

Then I realize that my mother has lived to the age of 92 and I might have another 20-25 years of this crap to endure!

Just hunt down all the bullets rolling around on the floor and think about the alternative to this "growing old" crap. At least they still let you go to the shop and do some reloading and have not confiscated your car keys yet.

Then that time comes there is going to be one he!! of a fight around here!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I will attest to that gravity thing still functioning just fine. I fell off a ladder last week. The fall is about the same as it was 45 years ago, but that landing sure felt worse. Come to think of it.........it may be because gravity is increasing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    I've decided that whenever I want to pick up something from now on, I'm just going to reach up and knock it off on the floor and take as much other stuff with it as I can. I'll swear it has gotten to where any time I pick up anything half or all of it just falls out of my hands. All I can do is watch it hit the floor. I reach up for a box today. It said 500 230 gr .452 RN on the side. Now gravity was pulling pretty hard on that box I'll concede, but as soon as my hands touch it they stopped working and here it came. No stopping it, hit the workbench and busted wide open I was able to pin the box against the bench just as #499 and #500 hit the floor and rolled under the bench with #200 - #498. #1 - #199 were scattered everywhere but in one place. I didn't even curse. I just started picking them up and dropping them in the box which had only busted open at the opening.

By that time I just wasn't in the mood any more.

Alan
    Bohahahahahaha......I don't see this before either....

As a matter of fact, just today I realized I was carrying around a telescoping magnet.....as every 2n bolt, washer, nut, or screw seem to get sucked into that gravitational vortex to find the center of the earth....Under the bench.

After the third bend over, to pick up, whatever.....I had just stuck it in my pocket...and is still on my "table" next to the recliner.....as I took it out after it was sticking into my butt,... at nap time.

Reach for something.....your sleeve gets caught or belt loop get caught on the door handle.....just moving from place to place is like a like pushing thru thick brambles...and getting caught on everything....then when you are trying to get un-hooked,... you knock the cap of the only "non-dry" magic marker...into the waste can under the bench?.....Just to make sure the ALL with be dry......

I saying "under"...because things don't fall straight down...but take a 90 degree turn, to make sure it gets all the way to the bottom.....

Fingers don't work right, ....can't see stuff unless you looking directly at it....LOL

Filling my med boxes...is a real treat...those little pills act.as they are alive and fly around the room.....I should just dump them in a bowl...and grab a hand full for time to time......They try to hit my mouth...

It's a good think I can afford to buy stuff by the dozen...as I can't remember where 11 of them are.?????

I used to be a lot better at this stuff......
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-06-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah. How can something so small as a pill not fit in something as big as my mouth? And where does it go when it hits the floor? The pill, not my mouth. I could find my mouth.

We've got the roofers banging to the beat of conjuntos music for the last two days. Should be through tomorrow. But, I had to put up some new facia and sofit in the two days before the started. In addition to wearing me completely out, it gave me countless opportunities to test the "Gravity and Dexterity" equation, ladders, boards, tiny nails and screws, hammers, impact drills, the dreaded chop saw, and trying to take stuff apart that was never intended to be seen by human eyes again much less removed. Hopefully the roofers will hide all my mistakes.

Alan

Even as we speak I am searching with magnet and flashlight for the front sight post from an AR that took one of those 90% turns when it slipped from my pudgy little fingers!

When I was in college I hung aluminum siding for a guy with some pretty serious convictions. He had a little saying I will never forget.

"Aluminum guttering covers a multitude of sins!"

Good luck with the repairs.

Hurricane damage?

My fireplace came yesterday. I paid the extra $75 for a lift gate service. Guess what? It came on a semi with no lift gate. He asked if I wanted to refuse the order. Uh, no. The driver and I got the 400 pound thing out without damaging it. I was surprised that he helped. I tried to pay him for helping me but, he wouldn't take it. My back is talking gravity today while framing it.

uh huh. With all this gravity going down how come I can barely cut my toenails or put socks on?

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    uh huh. With all this gravity going down how come I can barely cut my toenails or put socks on?
    I do not think that is Gravity's fault!

Just a lifetime of "whatever" catching up with you.

Happening to lots of us these days.

I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.

One must keep up payments on their Gravity Bill....get more expensive as we purchase the necessary gizmo's to assist on many tasks.

If you start slipping...gravity will overtake you and suck you into the ground....

My streak continues......BUT... I am carrying around the magnet ....too bad it only works on steel ...

Re-stocked my supply of different length deck screws putting them on the shelf......Bumped (or it just jumped)the package of weed trimmer string, fell behind the rolling tool cabinet.....
    Couldn't just hook it out blind..so laid down on the floor with flashlight and my "tong-ers" and got it out.

Good thing DW did not see my laying on the garage floor....she would have called 911....Getting up is much harder

Started raining.. Hallelujah!!!!!....I can take a break/quit...Not my fault....Honest, That my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tongers. I have to find that guy that invented those. I would like to shake his hand. I use to laugh at the the old lady on the commercial that yelled, "help! I've fallen and I can't get up!". Now, I curse her while I'm laying on the ground trying to figure out how I'm going to get up.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    They got you covered......
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

https://www.activeforever.com/easy-p...kaAgWDEALw_wcB

Winters coming. I need to go get one of those and a pair of slip on tennies. ...sigh

I have already gone to the velcro gym shoes......actually a lot of those around at the gym...

I've found that the importance of the tool increases the likelihood you'll drop it from some inconvenient height.
    That applies to any tool you take up a ladder with you.
    I particularly like the ones that drop and roll off the loading dock at work. Bad knees don't like jumping down the 4' to get it and there just ain't no way anymore to vault back up again.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I have become accustomed to badmouthing inanimate objects and reprimanding them. "Fine! You can just lay there for all I care." It makes me feel better. A little. Sometimes.

With all of the storm debris I was hoping to cut up a few more loads. Sadly, my episode with gravity last week has left my back in a tender condition. Oh well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I have already gone to the velcro gym shoes......actually a lot of those around at the gym...
    Down south we go straight for the camouflage Crocks. Slip them on and off and walk outside with no problem. Looks like you chose them on purpose. Beats realizing you are at Kroger in your house slippers. You are still better shod than the flip-flop wearing masses.

I'm a Ninja guy. I go with the black crocs.